Finally

Chris Walterson

Managed to get the first flight in in the Q with the Subaru. I got all the paperwork last week , but the weather didn't cooperate until this morning.  There was frost on the ground , but it soon melted and it was time for a flight.

 Because of the years flying the Dragonfly it wasn't that difficult.  I did have to reflex the ailerons up on takeoff to get the canard to fly.

 I think a few more pounds on the tail wheel may be in order.

 All my temps were very good with the ugly rad mount. I have a custom fiberglass rad cowl I made and I will install that and see if the cooling remains the same and if the speed increases. I notice that a few of the Q builders use blankets and foam for a seat. I am 5ft 10 and the headsets will hit the canopy if I use more than an inch of foam. Still comfortable.

 As for speeds, I cruised at 150 mph indicated and 3,000 rpm. Max rpm with the setup i am using.  I need way more rpm to see the hp potential so I will change my Warp drive prop to finer pitch and try again. 3,500 is a good cruise rpm  and I can use boost to see 4,000 plus [ showing off]

 I was up for an hr and it is more responsive in the ailerons than my Dragonfly. I did some slow flight and got it down to 75 mph.

 I was very surprised that it flew almost hands off, and I only have to increase the  spring tension in my elevator trim. Very nice.

 I will have to get used to the faster than I am used to landing speed and the almost three point landing it does.

 I had a friend that flew in with his RV7 and he landed when I was in the air so he managed to take a few pictures.

 I try to do my testing with only the airport workers knowing what I am up to. I even ask my wife, who is also a pilot to stay home.

I find it nice to be able to focus and fly only if you want to.

 So after that my friend and I went for breakfast and  then he headed home.

 The weather was still nice and I was looking at my new Seahawker sitting in the hanger. I had all the paperwork for that so out it came.

 I had taxied it a lot and was finally used to contolling a tricycle gear. Told the airport staff of my intentions and away I went.

 Quite a bit different than I am used to.  Because of the pusher configuration you need to power it on to the runway.

The engine ran perfect, but I need to give more pitch to the prop to use the HP. When the gear is down in the air, it is a bit squirrely, but I think I am not using enough authority on the rudder pedals.

 All in all, any day you can reuse the airplane is a 'Good Day"

My wife was downloading the pictures and she commented on the fact that I dress like I am  homeless. I'm not. These are my lucky test flying clothes. The weather is about to turn crappy in the north, so I am hoping to get a few more flights in before the snow.

 Thanks for all the input from the group. Building the airplane wasn't easy, but because of you guys in the group it wasn't hard.

Take care---------  Chris Walterson Flying Q 200 Subaru C-GVOI

Mike Steinsland

Hey Chris congrats on both flights!
Hope the snow holds off there for a while still so you can enjoy all that hard work you've put in.
Hope you have a good heater

On Mon., Oct. 18, 2021, 8:48 p.m. Chris Walterson, <dkeats@...> wrote:
[...]

gbrighton@...

Hi Chris .... Amazing and super CONGRATULATIONS ... and what the Heck two test Airplanes !!!!!
Cheers,
Graham .............. from Australia ;)

.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Jay Scheevel

Congrats Chris. You are the first person I know of that did two first flights on the same day! Fantastic!

I think your Q is set up just fine using reflexor for takeoff. Overall you will fly better and faster with the forward cg so don’t put any more ballast in it is my suggestion. Using reflex for takeoff and landing is pretty routine for many Q2s. You clearly have a very fast Q2. Sounds like it flies a lot like Reg Clarke’s did.

Congrats one (or two) more time(s)!

On Oct 18, 2021, at 7:18 PM, gbrighton@skymesh.com.au wrote:

[...]

Bruce Crain

Fantastic Chris! Beautiful Q and I love that gear! Maybe will get a chance to see it in person some day!
Bruce Crain
On Oct 18, 2021, at 7:53 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@scheevel.com> wrote:

[...]

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

Richard Thomson

Well done Chris. Do all Q pilots have a cranked neck ?

    Rich T.

On 19/10/2021 01:47, Chris Walterson wrote:
[...]

Mike Dwyer

Great job Chris!  The Q looks great.  You need to do one of the Zoom calls and show it off!
Mike Dwyer Q200

[...]

Anthony P

Edited

Until we get a Q-tour of the Flying Q 200 Subaru C-GVOI,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhARVpPf9QA

Nicely done Chris!

Terrence ONeill

LOVE W.c.  Thanks.
Terry

On Oct 19, 2021, at 6:24 AM, Anthony P <solarant@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Until we get a Q-tour of the Flying Q 200 Subaru C-GVOI,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhARVpPf9QA

Nicely done Chris!

Brent Sherstan

Congrats Chris! Sounds like a successful day.

Did you have to go through with the High Performance Rating, or did you manage to convince your inspector otherwise?

Brent

Chris Walterson

Thanks for the encouragment guys.

 Went to the airport this morning and set the prop pitch from 14.5 to 12.5.  Filled it with about 7 in the main plus the header. Reflexed the aileron up a bit for takeoff and hit the throttle. Got in the air quickly and stayed in ground affect and then climbed out at 110 indicated.

 Had about 5 lbs boost and climbed at 1500 fpm at around 1,000 lbs. My speed ended up being 160 indicated at 3150 rpm. I still need a bit finer, but I will stay with this for now.  Once I fly some more I will set the prop to give me 3500 rpm with the waste gate off and 4,000 plus with boost. I think my prop is a 56 inch three blade warp drive ground adjustable.

 If it is nice again tomorrow I will install my rad cowl and see if I still get the right amount of cooling and hopefully a bit more speed.

 I find the reflexor very sensitive. Tomorrow I am also going to bring my digital smart level and lay it on the passenger consol to see if I am close to the water line with my rigging.

Livin the dream-------------  Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reports. Do they have a max RPM recommended for that prop?

[...]

smeshno1@...

Enid (if we don't get Covidized again) 2022 🙂

[...]

Brent-----------  No high performance rating. I was instructed to measure wing tip to tip and do the math using the fuselage as a lifting surface so it worked out okay. My wing loading just slide in under the numbers.----------  Chris

Chris Walterson

Jay--------------  I don't know of a max rpm for the Warp drive. I do know some 70 inchers will turn 2700 so I figure my 56 can turn 4,000.

 I have a  53 inch on my Dragonfly I cruise at 3500 and see 4,000 regularly. I think it's been that way for 25 years.

 One other thing, the NACA vent doesn't get any exhaust although the fuselage sure got dirty burning all the oil and crud I had in the cylinders.  Take care----------  Chris

The clan is looking at a different location for FOD next year Vern.  Maybe back to Beatrice, Neb.  Will know more as the year goes by.
Bruce

On Oct 19, 2021, at 3:05 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

Kneebraskee!! Land o the corn huskers. Somehow ain't right they stole OU colors.  Understand Bruce.

[...]

Absolutely Vern they did steal their colors!
Beatrice works well!  They have a big sports bar and grill where Paul Fisher can use his tv changer when the Huskers are playing and everyone is locked on the game!  You might want to take some videos as it might get rowdy!  They also have two cross runways that came in handy when Honey Lamb and I landed in 45 knot winds!  The wind was straight down one of the runways and we must have only used 150’ of runway!  It was awesome!
Bruce

On Oct 19, 2021, at 7:26 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

Bill Higdon

Chris,

Congratulations on the flights so far and I hope the weather in your parts cooperates with you. I also like the Otter on floats in the background.

Bill

smeshno1@...

 Well. One day when Lara and I fly there in Das Frankenbird I'll have to remind her Keinen Alcohol over Kansas!

You see.. I was born in Wichita..lived most of my younger days there (off and on..we being aviation vagabonds).

 Back in the day you couldn't drink hard likkor by the drink unlessn you waz a member of a private nightclub (that is my version of Planes,Trains, and Automobiles where Dell and Neil are told you can't get outta Wichita on a train unless your a hog and gotta go to Stubsville)

 You could however buy a 5th at the millions of liquor stores and blow out your liver without anything but I.D. (or a cute 14 year old girl with you) but NO DRINKIN just a mixed drink!! NOPE..NADA!

You see its called "logic" in Kansas?

 So then the idiots (and they ARE Idiots in the first degree) in Topeka decided that the stupid "liquor by the drink" law applied to airliners flying OVER the State!  The airlines of course had no choice but
to stop serving booze while flying over Kansas (airliners are not considered private clubs) or get fined for EACH serving to EACH person..

 I'm not joking..they would tell everyone at 35,000' "gotta stop handing out the Fire Water cause we are flyin over KANZASS". Business people from all over the world would have to be members
of a private nightclub just to get a simple mixed drink at dinner while making many a multi million dollar deal!

 So short of swinging over to Missouri (a much more intelligent State I will admit) to get to Knee Braska or Colorado (a little dicey being they are livin high all the time and have been since John Denver was crooning), I have to fly over my most favorite State of all (NOT).

  I'm just gonna have to tell my one passenger "no drinkin booze..were now flying over the great State of Kanzass!"

 And folks ask me why I chose to "retire" in Oklahoma after living in many places all over Earth. They do stupid from time to time, but I don't remember Oklahoma City sending up the sky police to pull over the airliners for violating booze laws.  🙂

 Trust me guys..when I am PIC starting at Pre-flight I change character. I get really serious..but on the ground I'm a bit like another famous Oklahoma resident. Will Rogers.

 Kewl!  I like the idea of a STOL Tri-Q.  I bet we can fly Mountain Wave too in the right places.  That would be an interesting video to shoot.  Actually I am not a FeetBall fan
but my Mom used to torture me on Thanksgiving and up to Stupor Bowl. TV was always on a game of some kind. I guess that is why I was in the garage more than not.

 Vern