Fixture to flip fuselage

Mike Steinsland

Hi Guys,
I'm at the point where I am installing the hinges for the forward tilting canopy.
I wasn't looking forward to laying upside down in the fuselage and having resin dropping down on my face while I reinforced the underside of the cowl so I came up with this fixture that I attached to the firewall using the holes for the motor mounts.
Thought I would pass this along in case someone else was wanting to flip the airplane over to work on the bottom.
Once I get this part finished I will remove 16" off the bottom of the inverted position so that it is at a good hight for doing the finish work to the undersides (probably do the bottoms of the wings are first)
I used pieces of plywood that I have had laying around for years (just about traded it for a Corvette this summer) I made it the size I did because thats the size of wood I had.

When standing on its nose the dimensions are ;   37" wide at the cowl X 68" long X 22" high

You can make it smaller no problems, it's tall when its vertical , I just wanted a nice radius as it rolled from vertical to horizontal so things didn't happen too fast and I wanted the hight to crawl under and work inside. I put wheels on because there is not enough space to completely roll it over. Once I got it vertical I rolled it to the other side of the work space then continued rolling it onto its back.
I realized when I got it vertical that I can easily access everything under the cowl, even down to the backside of the firewall without having it inverted .
It's also going to be nice running the brake lines and checking the wheel alignment.

Cheers from the north, not as north as Chris tho!

Jay Scheevel

Very nice, Mike! This will be especially handy when you get around to filling, sanding and painting. Wish I had thought of that.

[...]

Anthony P

Very nicely done.

"and checking the wheel alignment."   There are folks that say the wheel alignment needs to be done with as-flown weight and C.G. on the three wheels.  I agree with this generally.
Wheel alignment does not mater when there is no load on them.

Jerry Marstall

Very nice.  Workmanship looks great.
Jerry Marstall

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021, 5:02 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
[...]

Sam Hoskins

Very good Mike. How about uploading them to the photo section? Create an album with your name on it and put them there.