Topics

Flight Report

Mike Dwyer

Here in FL we got our first decent day today.  It was 60F, clear skies and light winds so I rushed down to the airport and fired up the Q200.

My Hobbs hour meter had previously failed so I went looking for a new one.  I didn't want one starting at 0 so planned on running it but!!! then I realized that 1400 hours is 2 months of running.  So I proceeded to take the dead one apart.  A little WD40 and some lube in it and the thing was running perfectly.  I ran it forward the 10 hours that it had malfunced and also set a timer to monitor it.  It was exactly 10 hours.  I'd always wondered how accurate these things were.  Re-installed the meter and good to go.

The plane hasn't been starting great when cold.  And my accelerator pump has little to no back pressure anymore.  I fear I've lost my accelerator pump which is also the primer.  Will put that on the list to fix.

One of the Qers wanted to see a video of the Bluetooth Engine Monitor I'm building so todays mission was to capture that.  Plus I wanted to show the Avare APP with ADS-B traffic displayed.  The Engine Monitor collects all the data and sends it out VIA Bluetooth to an Android tablet that runs an App called Torque.  Torque lets you make any kind of gauge you want, set limits, set alarms, and is very cool.  So I put a youtube video up with really just screen captures of the Engine Monitor and Avare.

Highlights: took off on rwy 35 and was 1000 feet by the end of the runway.  60F and single place rocks.  I was showing 1500 fpm climb until I had to stop at 1000' as to not be shot down by the feds due to the Tampa Class B...  On the way back at low power cruise the carb air in was 60F and the carb throttle was 23F.  Ouch.  No visible moisture but I waited until I was within gliding distance of the airport to pull the carb heat and throttle back!  With the capture of the Avare App screen I could actually watch for the touchdown speed.  65 mph.

Check out the most recent video if you like staring at an instrument panel!   https://youtu.be/CspZCzQm6Y0

Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

Mike,
That was me Mike ( in Vegas) and it’s good to see your torque app running. What engine monitor are you using that bluetooth’s to your torque app?
Thanks

Mike

On Jan 6, 2021, at 3:59 PM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Mike,

Just curious how many times you have to pump the throttle to get your engine started and at what outside temperature?  Mine requires none during the summer but 3-4 pumps when it’s 50F or below.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Sent from Outer Space