Flight Report KMDH - KTOP & return

Sam Hoskins

I made a little trip to Topeka this weekend to see the grands. Nice time was had by all. Non-eventful weather and the winds were okay in both directions, but sometimes I do wish I had cabin heat.  As long as the sun is shining in lower temps, I'm good. My old Dynon is showing everything in the green.

My route of flight takes me just over the lower end of Whiteman AFB, which is the Air Force's main B-2 bomber base.  Sometimes I'll see a billion dollar bomber on the ramp, like today.  The top of the control zone is 3,500 feet and I was heading east at 5,500. It always seems a bit strange to fly over Whiteman, feels like maybe I'm being watched?

As you may know I have an electric fuel injection system and have two Walbro pumps to deliver fuel at 40 psi. When I fly West, I'm on pump #1 and East I use pump #2. Both pumps are on for takeoff and landing phases. About an hour from home I noticed my mixture getting very lean.  As I was fooling with the mixture I suddenly got a LOW FUEL PRESSURE warning. I flipped on pump #1 and things went back to normal. Not believing what I was seeing I tried turning #1 off, and the engine just about died.

Okay, I get the hint. Turn #1 back on and #2 off, just in case it is spewing parts. Rest of the flight was uneventful and I didn't touch a thing until I got on the ground. Looks like I'll be ordering a new pump and a new 10 micron fuel filter.

All in all a fun day.

Sam

Lynn French

Sam,
Thanks for the article. I thought the punch line to your pressure problem was going to the same as mine. I had the same exact problem but the culprit ended up being something different. My gas cap for the main tank somehow vibrated loose allowing  low pressure on the fuel tank. This was causing me to have lean engine and low fuel pressure alarms.
Regards.

Short & simple from my mobile

On Nov 7, 2021, at 2:38 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Thomson

Thanks Sam, Interesting report. Makes me glad I fitted a second pump when I read it. Got any findings yet ?

Do you use a raster map on your Dynon, what Nav data do you use ? Pocket FMS ?

Rich T.

On 07/11/2021 20:38, Sam Hoskins wrote:
[...]

What is a raster map?  I use my old Garmn GPS map connected to the D180 and I also use Avare on a cheap tablet powered by a Stratux.
Here's a picture of my setup.
PXL_20211105_195726705.jpg

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 5:35 AM Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Great report Sam.  How many people get to see a B1 from above!  And thanks for arranging the Zoom meetings!
Fly Safe,
Mike Dwyer. Q200

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021, 3:38 PM Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
[...]

    Its the base map that the rest of the layers get laid over.

    Do you have a Nav screen on your Dynon ? If so does it get all the input from the Garmin ?

On 08/11/2021 12:28, Sam Hoskins wrote:
[...]

The D180 doesn't have mapping. It's a discontinued product.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021, 8:24 AM Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

[...]

You cant beat the little Garmin as a stand alone Sam, wish I got my 296 to talk to the box otherwise I would be happy.

I use Skydemon as a flight planning tool, that doesnt work on the EFiS either so a tablet is essential.

Integration is a pain. Problem is the avionics change so quick, we all end up with out of production kit these days.

Wheres Mike D when you need him !! :-)

On 08/11/2021 15:37, Sam Hoskins wrote:
[...]

Corbin

Very nice, Sam!  Sounds like a great flight that kept you awake with the fuel pump playing games.  My wife is starting to suggest I sell mine now that I don't travel for work in it and our oldest is in college and doesn't fit (6'3" tall) for me to fly home and back for visits.  I think she wants a Turbo 210 again so the whole family fits.  Glad to see you are putting yours to good use to visit family.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Jay Scheevel

Hi Richard,

The D180 does not have a nav screen. They did not add that until Skyview.

[...]

Hi Jay

I was curious, trying to find someone who uses the Pocket FMS update system on their Dynon to understand how good it is and if I need to have a raster map or not. Its not many weeks ago I too said "what is a raster map" ?

Do we have anyone on the list who has a skyview and uses the Pocket FMS update service ?

Thanks,

Rich T.

On 08/11/2021 17:12, Jay Scheevel wrote:

[...]

I have a Skyview, but I use Seattle Avionics for my raster charts. They are compatible and reside on a thumb drive that is plugged into the Skyview. Skyview reads the charts directly from the thumb drive. You do not need to upload them to the Skyview system.

[...]

Thanks Jay, I will check them out.

Rich T