Flight Report N96BJ

Bruce Crain

Say Jay I flew yesterday morning also!  I have been observing my oil temps increasing on my Continental 0200 over a long period of time.  When I first put an Electronic Ignition on with a mag remaining the rpms were lower with respect to the mag when doing a preflight check.  I have been noticing that the mag check lately was increasing the rpms when checked.  Over time the points wear down and increase the timing on a mag.  (there's that moving parts thing with magnetos).

So when I pulled the engine I checked the oil screen and found only a very minimal amount of what looked like paper chewed up into small particles.  No metal showing.  I had cleaned it out only a short number of hours ago and knew that it most likely wasn't the culprit.  I then checked the mag timing an it was showing about 27 btdc.  So I put the electronic mag checker on it and retimed it to 24 btdc.

After remounting the engine I ran it up an had quite a mag drop (200+) with a slight vibration even at 1700 rpm.  I had just cleaned the plugs so I figured it was just oil in the bottom of a cylinder or a speck in the electrode of the spark plugs or a bit of anti seize on an electrode.

After flying the TriQ 200 I checked the mag and it was smooth and only slowed rpms 100 to 150.  That is fairly normal with electronic ignition and mag combination.

Oh, the flight was a little choppy but there was a cloud east of WDG and I flew under it.  It was nice and cool so I flew around a while with flight following watching me.  Flight following alerted me that a Huey helicopter was on my flight path and was inbound for WDG.  When I "tally hoed" I followed the Huey inbound for a while and then peeled off for some more cool air.  A short time later I headed back to WDG and had a great landing!  All was wonderful!  It's a sweet little bird that is way fun to fly!
Get em done!  You'll be glad you did!

Doh!  I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce

On Sep 4, 2021, at 7:42 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

smeshno1@...

 Maybe send some rain our way, Bruce. My fish in the pond are threatening to not pay rent....again.
😏

Vern..brown grass in Mannford.

[...]

Richard Thomson

On 05/09/2021 02:09, Bruce Crain wrote:
Doh!  I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce
Yes Bruce .......which is what for yours please, and where do you take your oil temp from ? Rear plate ? Do you have the Spin on filter mod, does it have cooling fins or a separate cooler,

Stupid question = Is your cowling too hot to touch after you have been taxiing for 10 minutes ?

Thanks

Rich T.

Bruce Crain

I thought no my oil temps are around 160 but I replaced my capillary temp gauge and the current one only show a trend much like a 150 Cessna gauge. The needle started showing a hotter temp so I used the trend of oil temp and mag check and decided to change things until they worked as I like.
I take the temps from the back of the oil screen where the capillary bulb screws into it.
No filter. I change the oil every 25 hours. I do have an oil cooler.
Yeah the cowl is going to be warm after 19 minutes especially due to summer temps.
For the go cart racing etc there is a tape on temp strip that will show you what the highest temp reached. Might be good for trouble shooting. And checking your oil gauge.
Bruce
On Sep 7, 2021, at 7:33 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@cloudland.co.uk> wrote:

On 05/09/2021 02:09, Bruce Crain wrote:
Doh! I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce
Yes Bruce .......which is what for yours please, and where do you take your oil temp from ? Rear plate ? Do you have the Spin on filter mod, does it have cooling fins or a separate cooler,

Stupid question = Is your cowling too hot to touch after you have been taxiing for 10 minutes ?

Thanks

Rich T.

Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b3db2c6a5a7a68st03duc1
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b5ca656a5a7a68st03duc2
Alleged Killer of Family of 4 to Cops: 'You Know Why I Did This'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b7b9cf6a5a7a68st03duc3

Richard Thomson

Thanks Bruce

I have some of those tapes somewhere I will give them a try

Rich T.