Flight Report N96BJ


Bruce Crain
 

Say Jay I flew yesterday morning also!  I have been observing my oil temps increasing on my Continental 0200 over a long period of time.  When I first put an Electronic Ignition on with a mag remaining the rpms were lower with respect to the mag when doing a preflight check.  I have been noticing that the mag check lately was increasing the rpms when checked.  Over time the points wear down and increase the timing on a mag.  (there's that moving parts thing with magnetos).
 
So when I pulled the engine I checked the oil screen and found only a very minimal amount of what looked like paper chewed up into small particles.  No metal showing.  I had cleaned it out only a short number of hours ago and knew that it most likely wasn't the culprit.  I then checked the mag timing an it was showing about 27 btdc.  So I put the electronic mag checker on it and retimed it to 24 btdc.
 
After remounting the engine I ran it up an had quite a mag drop (200+) with a slight vibration even at 1700 rpm.  I had just cleaned the plugs so I figured it was just oil in the bottom of a cylinder or a speck in the electrode of the spark plugs or a bit of anti seize on an electrode. 
 
After flying the TriQ 200 I checked the mag and it was smooth and only slowed rpms 100 to 150.  That is fairly normal with electronic ignition and mag combination.
 
Oh, the flight was a little choppy but there was a cloud east of WDG and I flew under it.  It was nice and cool so I flew around a while with flight following watching me.  Flight following alerted me that a Huey helicopter was on my flight path and was inbound for WDG.  When I "tally hoed" I followed the Huey inbound for a while and then peeled off for some more cool air.  A short time later I headed back to WDG and had a great landing!  All was wonderful!  It's a sweet little bird that is way fun to fly!
Get em done!  You'll be glad you did!
 
Bruce Crain
 



Bruce Crain
 

Doh!  I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce


On Sep 4, 2021, at 7:42 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:


Say Jay I flew yesterday morning also!  I have been observing my oil temps increasing on my Continental 0200 over a long period of time.  When I first put an Electronic Ignition on with a mag remaining the rpms were lower with respect to the mag when doing a preflight check.  I have been noticing that the mag check lately was increasing the rpms when checked.  Over time the points wear down and increase the timing on a mag.  (there's that moving parts thing with magnetos).
 
So when I pulled the engine I checked the oil screen and found only a very minimal amount of what looked like paper chewed up into small particles.  No metal showing.  I had cleaned it out only a short number of hours ago and knew that it most likely wasn't the culprit.  I then checked the mag timing an it was showing about 27 btdc.  So I put the electronic mag checker on it and retimed it to 24 btdc.
 
After remounting the engine I ran it up an had quite a mag drop (200+) with a slight vibration even at 1700 rpm.  I had just cleaned the plugs so I figured it was just oil in the bottom of a cylinder or a speck in the electrode of the spark plugs or a bit of anti seize on an electrode. 
 
After flying the TriQ 200 I checked the mag and it was smooth and only slowed rpms 100 to 150.  That is fairly normal with electronic ignition and mag combination.
 
Oh, the flight was a little choppy but there was a cloud east of WDG and I flew under it.  It was nice and cool so I flew around a while with flight following watching me.  Flight following alerted me that a Huey helicopter was on my flight path and was inbound for WDG.  When I "tally hoed" I followed the Huey inbound for a while and then peeled off for some more cool air.  A short time later I headed back to WDG and had a great landing!  All was wonderful!  It's a sweet little bird that is way fun to fly!
Get em done!  You'll be glad you did!
 
Bruce Crain
 





Frankenbird Vern
 

 Maybe send some rain our way, Bruce. My fish in the pond are threatening to not pay rent....again.
😏

Vern..brown grass in Mannford.
  


From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 4, 2021 8:09 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Flight Report N96BJ
 
Doh!  I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce


On Sep 4, 2021, at 7:42 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:


Say Jay I flew yesterday morning also!  I have been observing my oil temps increasing on my Continental 0200 over a long period of time.  When I first put an Electronic Ignition on with a mag remaining the rpms were lower with respect to the mag when doing a preflight check.  I have been noticing that the mag check lately was increasing the rpms when checked.  Over time the points wear down and increase the timing on a mag.  (there's that moving parts thing with magnetos).
 
So when I pulled the engine I checked the oil screen and found only a very minimal amount of what looked like paper chewed up into small particles.  No metal showing.  I had cleaned it out only a short number of hours ago and knew that it most likely wasn't the culprit.  I then checked the mag timing an it was showing about 27 btdc.  So I put the electronic mag checker on it and retimed it to 24 btdc.
 
After remounting the engine I ran it up an had quite a mag drop (200+) with a slight vibration even at 1700 rpm.  I had just cleaned the plugs so I figured it was just oil in the bottom of a cylinder or a speck in the electrode of the spark plugs or a bit of anti seize on an electrode. 
 
After flying the TriQ 200 I checked the mag and it was smooth and only slowed rpms 100 to 150.  That is fairly normal with electronic ignition and mag combination.
 
Oh, the flight was a little choppy but there was a cloud east of WDG and I flew under it.  It was nice and cool so I flew around a while with flight following watching me.  Flight following alerted me that a Huey helicopter was on my flight path and was inbound for WDG.  When I "tally hoed" I followed the Huey inbound for a while and then peeled off for some more cool air.  A short time later I headed back to WDG and had a great landing!  All was wonderful!  It's a sweet little bird that is way fun to fly!
Get em done!  You'll be glad you did!
 
Bruce Crain
 





Richard Thomson
 

On 05/09/2021 02:09, Bruce Crain wrote:
Doh!  I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce
Yes Bruce .......which is what for yours please, and where do you take your oil temp from ? Rear plate ? Do you have the Spin on filter mod, does it have cooling fins or a separate cooler,

Stupid question = Is your cowling too hot to touch after you have been taxiing for 10 minutes ?

Thanks

Rich T.


Bruce Crain
 

I thought no my oil temps are around 160 but I replaced my capillary temp gauge and the current one only show a trend much like a 150 Cessna gauge. The needle started showing a hotter temp so I used the trend of oil temp and mag check and decided to change things until they worked as I like.
I take the temps from the back of the oil screen where the capillary bulb screws into it.
No filter. I change the oil every 25 hours. I do have an oil cooler.
Yeah the cowl is going to be warm after 19 minutes especially due to summer temps.
For the go cart racing etc there is a tape on temp strip that will show you what the highest temp reached. Might be good for trouble shooting. And checking your oil gauge.
Bruce
On Sep 7, 2021, at 7:33 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@cloudland.co.uk> wrote:

On 05/09/2021 02:09, Bruce Crain wrote:
Doh! I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce
Yes Bruce .......which is what for yours please, and where do you take your oil temp from ? Rear plate ? Do you have the Spin on filter mod, does it have cooling fins or a separate cooler,

Stupid question = Is your cowling too hot to touch after you have been taxiing for 10 minutes ?

Thanks

Rich T.








____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b3db2c6a5a7a68st03duc1
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b5ca656a5a7a68st03duc2
Alleged Killer of Family of 4 to Cops: 'You Know Why I Did This'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b7b9cf6a5a7a68st03duc3


Richard Thomson
 

Thanks Bruce

I have some of those tapes somewhere I will give them a try

Rich T.

On 07/09/2021 14:34, Bruce Crain wrote:
I thought no my oil temps are around 160 but I replaced my capillary temp gauge and the current one only show a trend much like a 150 Cessna gauge. The needle started showing a hotter temp so I used the trend of oil temp and mag check and decided to change things until they worked as I like.
I take the temps from the back of the oil screen where the capillary bulb screws into it.
No filter. I change the oil every 25 hours. I do have an oil cooler.
Yeah the cowl is going to be warm after 19 minutes especially due to summer temps.
For the go cart racing etc there is a tape on temp strip that will show you what the highest temp reached. Might be good for trouble shooting. And checking your oil gauge.
Bruce
On Sep 7, 2021, at 7:33 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@cloudland.co.uk> wrote:

On 05/09/2021 02:09, Bruce Crain wrote:
Doh! I forgot to mention the oil temp is once again back to normal!
Bruce
Yes Bruce .......which is what for yours please, and where do you take your oil temp from ? Rear plate ? Do you have the Spin on filter mod, does it have cooling fins or a separate cooler,

Stupid question = Is your cowling too hot to touch after you have been taxiing for 10 minutes ?

Thanks

Rich T.








____________________________________________________________
Sponsored by https://www.newser.com/?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_taglines_more

Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b3db2c6a5a7a68st03duc1
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b5ca656a5a7a68st03duc2
Alleged Killer of Family of 4 to Cops: 'You Know Why I Did This'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/61376a5b7b9cf6a5a7a68st03duc3