Forward slide canopy

Nick Wright

Hi all. Does anyone have the forward slide canopy on their Q2/200? I was originally going to install the forward hinge canopy but I seem to like the forward slide more and more.

Michael

Do you mean forward sliding or forward tipping, ala Jim Patillo? (Jealous!)

Not sure I've ever seen a strictly forward sliding Q2 canopy...
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Nick Wright

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Jay Scheevel

A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Jim Patillo

 Good evening Nick,

My canopy design works well and is solid. I suspect the one you referenced used thin 1/8” aluminum stock and was flimsy,  which made opening and closing the canopy feel awkward.

I originally had the “ turtle deck”  like most Q’s have. Then tried the slider you mentioned. IMO
the slider looked and felt like it didn’t belong on an airplane but in a cabinet.

The reason I came up with this  was: 1. It gets real hot here in the Central Valley of California and straight thru airflow works great, 2. The canopy can’t be ripped off on the groundwith high winds and 3. I have a quick release canopy in that the canopy can be completely off in seconds. I used 1/4”x12” aluminum stock to make the 4 parallelogram pivoting arms. You simply lift and push forward to operate. The whole thing is simple and easy to fab. For what it’s worth.

Jim
N46JP Q200
1,800 + hours

A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Jerry Marstall

Jay, who are you to suggest staying with the original design???  Like you did??? Jerry

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:57 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Nick Wright

Jim, my original canopy hinge was similar yet less sturdy. It had 1 piece of aluminum on either side and a makeshift hinge up front. This design allowed the canopy to rock back and forth and eventually break. Are there plans/instructions available for your design?

Jay Scheevel

Ha Jerry! Mine is so far out there that I dare not comment!  However I do have “plans” on pages 48-96 in the following document:

On Oct 17, 2021, at 5:39 AM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

Jay, who are you to suggest staying with the original design???  Like you did??? Jerry

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:57 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Jerry Marstall

Beautiful job of documenting.  Now I see where most of those 30+ years time was spent.  My documentation is on a napkin.

 http://n8wq.scheevel.com/documents/build_logs/02_N8WQ-log_Construction-Fuselage.pdf

On Oct 17, 2021, at 5:39 AM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

Jay, who are you to suggest staying with the original design???  Like you did??? Jerry

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:57 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Michael

Looks like plans for the Jim P. version are fairly well documented, now that we know about the 1/4" thickness dimension:

Q-talk 128 - Swing Bar Canopy Installation

Note the middle where it talks about gas struts in windy conditions... I can also add that if I never have to have my face 2 inches away from a compressed 200 lb gas strut while curled up in the foot well doing a replacement,  it won't be too soon!

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jim Patillo

Nick,

Like Jerry, my documentation wasn’t the best. I was more interested in getting the plane flying. My setup
is a one off. Others have used it since.

 If you are interested, give me a call and I can walk you thru it. As I said, the four arms are made of 1/4”x1”x12” black anodized aluminum stock. 4- AN4 bolts were used to connect the canopy to the fuselage. One over center latch on each side and keyed pin lock for
security.

Jim 510-468-4891
N46JP Q200

Delaine Bowen

The following link is the manual for the KR-Super2.  In the section for the canopy there is a pretty detailed section on a gullwing canopy that was interesting reading.

Jay Scheevel

I added one piece needle bearing assemblies with stainless washers either side of my mount bolts (AN 4 bolts like Jim’s) in order to make them smooth and durable. So far so good.

On Oct 17, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Nick,

Like Jerry, my documentation wasn’t the best. I was more interested in getting the plane flying. My setup
is a one off. Others have used it since.

 If you are interested, give me a call and I can walk you thru it. As I said, the four arms are made of 1/4”x1”x12” black anodized aluminum stock. 4- AN4 bolts were used to connect the canopy to the fuselage. One over center latch on each side and keyed pin lock for
security.

Jim 510-468-4891
N46JP Q200

Jim Patillo

Here’s a couple pictures that might help.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Nick Wright

Jim, if you don't mind I will call you later in the week. I want to take some measurements to see where I already have bolt holes located. I imagine I will have to drill new.