Forward slide canopy

Nick Wright

Hi all. Does anyone have the forward slide canopy on their Q2/200? I was originally going to install the forward hinge canopy but I seem to like the forward slide more and more.

Michael

Do you mean forward sliding or forward tipping, ala Jim Patillo? (Jealous!)

Not sure I've ever seen a strictly forward sliding Q2 canopy...
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Nick Wright

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Jay Scheevel

A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jay 

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Jim Patillo

Good evening Nick,

My canopy design works well and is solid. I suspect the one you referenced used thin 1/8” aluminum stock and was flimsy,  which made opening and closing the canopy feel awkward. 

I originally had the “ turtle deck”  like most Q’s have. Then tried the slider you mentioned. IMO
the slider looked and felt like it didn’t belong on an airplane but in a cabinet. 

The reason I came up with this  was: 1. It gets real hot here in the Central Valley of California and straight thru airflow works great, 2. The canopy can’t be ripped off on the groundwith high winds and 3. I have a quick release canopy in that the canopy can be completely off in seconds. I used 1/4”x12” aluminum stock to make the 4 parallelogram pivoting arms. You simply lift and push forward to operate. The whole thing is simple and easy to fab. For what it’s worth. 

Jim 
N46JP Q200
1,800 + hours 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2021 7:57:42 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Forward slide canopy

A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jay 

Jerry Marstall

Jay, who are you to suggest staying with the original design???  Like you did??? Jerry 

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:57 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay 

Nick Wright

Jim, my original canopy hinge was similar yet less sturdy. It had 1 piece of aluminum on either side and a makeshift hinge up front. This design allowed the canopy to rock back and forth and eventually break. Are there plans/instructions available for your design?

Jay Scheevel

Ha Jerry! Mine is so far out there that I dare not comment!  However I do have “plans” on pages 48-96 in the following document:

On Oct 17, 2021, at 5:39 AM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

Jay, who are you to suggest staying with the original design???  Like you did??? Jerry 

Cheers,
Jay 

Jerry Marstall

Beautiful job of documenting.  Now I see where most of those 30+ years time was spent.  My documentation is on a napkin. 
J

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021, 8:33 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
Ha Jerry! Mine is so far out there that I dare not comment!  However I do have “plans” on pages 48-96 in the following document:

http://n8wq.scheevel.com/documents/build_logs/02_N8WQ-log_Construction-Fuselage.pdf

Cheers,
Jay

On Oct 17, 2021, at 5:39 AM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay 

Michael

Looks like plans for the Jim P. version are fairly well documented, now that we know about the 1/4" thickness dimension:

Q-talk 128 - Swing Bar Canopy Installation

Note the middle where it talks about gas struts in windy conditions... I can also add that if I never have to have my face 2 inches away from a compressed 200 lb gas strut while curled up in the foot well doing a replacement,  it won't be too soon!

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jim Patillo

Nick,

Like Jerry, my documentation wasn’t the best. I was more interested in getting the plane flying. My setup
is a one off. Others have used it since.

If you are interested, give me a call and I can walk you thru it. As I said, the four arms are made of 1/4”x1”x12” black anodized aluminum stock. 4- AN4 bolts were used to connect the canopy to the fuselage. One over center latch on each side and keyed pin lock for
security. 

Jim 510-468-4891
N46JP Q200

Delaine Bowen

The following link is the manual for the KR-Super2.  In the section for the canopy there is a pretty detailed section on a gullwing canopy that was interesting reading.

Jay Scheevel

I added one piece needle bearing assemblies with stainless washers either side of my mount bolts (AN 4 bolts like Jim’s) in order to make them smooth and durable. So far so good.

Cheers,
Jay

On Oct 17, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Nick,

Like Jerry, my documentation wasn’t the best. I was more interested in getting the plane flying. My setup
is a one off. Others have used it since.

If you are interested, give me a call and I can walk you thru it. As I said, the four arms are made of 1/4”x1”x12” black anodized aluminum stock. 4- AN4 bolts were used to connect the canopy to the fuselage. One over center latch on each side and keyed pin lock for
security. 

Jim 510-468-4891
N46JP Q200

Jim Patillo

Here’s a couple pictures that might help. 

Jim
N46JP Q200

Nick Wright

Jim, if you don't mind I will call you later in the week. I want to take some measurements to see where I already have bolt holes located. I imagine I will have to drill new.