From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sam Hoskins
Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 7:58 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Fuel pump & condition inspection

As I was coming back from Topeka a couple of weeks ago, one of my fuel injection fuel pumps gave up the ghost. I have a redundant setup, so no problem. Since I have to take the tail off to replace the pump, I thought I may as well do my annual condition inspection.  Here's a couple of photos. It shows the two Walbro pumps and the 10 micron fuel filter from Summit Racing. BTW, I run my injection at 40 psi.

I have a seven-page inspection checklist in the Files section of the Q-List, and I think I've pretty much covered everything. It would also be useful for that final inspection before a first flight.
Here it is: https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/files/inspectionchecklist-carb-01.doc

Take care.

Sam

Michael Dunning

Sam,

What's this thing? Fuel flow?

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Sam Hoskins

It's an obsolete gascolator. If you have a chance to buy one, don't bother. The clear tubing is for my static ports, just moved out of the way whilst changing the pump.

Sam

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 3:11 PM Michael <dunningme@...> wrote:
Sam,

What's this thing? Fuel flow?

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Eugen Pilarski

Sam, did you have a part# from your pump and the filter?

Best regards

Eugen

Am 04.12.2021 um 22:11 schrieb Michael <dunningme@...>:

Sam,

What's this thing? Fuel flow?
<1~2.jpg>
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Richard Thomson

Its a Gascolator.

On 04/12/2021 21:11, Michael wrote:
Sam,

What's this thing? Fuel flow?

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Anthony P

I believe Eugen was asking about these, "two Walbro pumps and the 10 micron fuel filter from Summit Racing".

They can easily be found on the Summit Racing website.

--
Q2 N86KL

Frankenbird Vern

 Eugen and any others.. BE SURE not to mention in any order or communication to them that the item is for airplane use.  Wink Wink.. Your working on a dune buggy or kit car... homebuilders on another blog had it happen...lawyers already got to the racing parts folks.  I guess NASCAR isn't dangerous or risky, but we are!!

I believe Eugen was asking about these, "two Walbro pumps and the 10 micron fuel filter from Summit Racing".

They can easily be found on the Summit Racing website.

--
Q2 N86KL

Corbin

My favorite is, “it’s for my dad’s tractor”.  I even have a photo I show IF they get skeptical.

Corbin

 Eugen and any others.. BE SURE not to mention in any order or communication to them that the item is for airplane use.  Wink Wink.. Your working on a dune buggy or kit car... homebuilders on another blog had it happen...lawyers already got to the racing parts folks.  I guess NASCAR isn't dangerous or risky, but we are!!

I believe Eugen was asking about these, "two Walbro pumps and the 10 micron fuel filter from Summit Racing".

They can easily be found on the Summit Racing website.

--
Q2 N86KL

--

Corbin
N121CG

Jay Scheevel

I have an aversion to fibs even if is for a good cause, so I have come up with the following description: “A custom off-road recreational-vehicle”  That pretty much keeps everyone happy.

I believe Eugen was asking about these, "two Walbro pumps and the 10 micron fuel filter from Summit Racing".

They can easily be found on the Summit Racing website.

--
Q2 N86KL

--

Corbin
N121CG

Don't have to stretch with the Onan.  It really is a lawn mower, welder, generator engine.  I've even had admirers say the prop looks like a lawn mower blade....
Not sure they were admiring though.....jealously I think?

I have an aversion to fibs even if is for a good cause, so I have come up with the following description: “A custom off-road recreational-vehicle”  That pretty much keeps everyone happy.

I believe Eugen was asking about these, "two Walbro pumps and the 10 micron fuel filter from Summit Racing".

They can easily be found on the Summit Racing website.

--
Q2 N86KL

--

Corbin
N121CG

Anthony P

I had a local machine shop refuse to make some very simple parts for me as soon as I said they were for a race car.
Also, I'm having some parts delayed from Revmaster because their current supplier found out the parts were going on aircraft.

What's the world coming to?

--
Q2 N86KL

Jay Scheevel

I guess you could tell them you are an artist and are making “kinetic sculpture” for your non-profit museum.

I had a local machine shop refuse to make some very simple parts for me as soon as I said they were for a race car.
Also, I'm having some parts delayed from Revmaster because their current supplier found out the parts were going on aircraft.

What's the world coming to?

--
Q2 N86KL

Sam Hoskins

The pump is a Walbro GSL393.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00557SBEU?ref_=pe_623860_70668520_dpLink
The 10 micron filter is Summit Racing SUM-230117 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230117

This pump is for automotive style fuel injection only. Absolutely not to be used with the gravity fed carburetors.

Sam

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Frankenbird Vern

 I'm thinking of saying the intended use is for decorative mailboxes. Then they can argue with Mr. Postman

 We've  de-volved into a society that is hell bent to "protect" us from every possible contingency, Including
as Charlie correctly brought up at FOD this year, not the most intelligent "solution" dealing with
micro-bugs in the mask.

 You guys know that Oklahoma is going to battle against D.C.  We invite all sensible folks to participate
in doing the same in their home States because unless we act to stop this garbage, the insanity will only
expand.  We have at least a zillion examples of how "just this time" or "it's only temporary"
or "once this crisis is over" since I was born in 1957 became oppression and deleted rights.

 TSA is a perfect example. Hell they have legal rights to peek up your drawers now!!

 Fact is this.. on a long enough timeline EVERYONE has a zero chance of physical survival in this life. Each
 and every one of us are someday Going West.

 I personally feel that aviation is (at this time anyway) less dangerous than being a convenience store clerk,
 but I don't see the lawyers at the store front door lined up to get the government to "protect" these
 souls that get paid rather poorly for the risk they assume.

 Really glad to be back in The Sooner State..even more so I made the choice to move here from an overbearing
 liberal controlled location in 2016.  The best decision I have made up to now.

I guess you could tell them you are an artist and are making “kinetic sculpture” for your non-profit museum.

I had a local machine shop refuse to make some very simple parts for me as soon as I said they were for a race car.
Also, I'm having some parts delayed from Revmaster because their current supplier found out the parts were going on aircraft.

What's the world coming to?

--
Q2 N86KL

Frankenbird Vern

 Ha! That one is good!.. Eugen can sure enough tell them he is using a lawnmower engine (although one heck of a powerful Briggs!!).  Mower blade.. a BIG one!  It is air cooled after all. :-)