From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 11:04 AM
To: Q List <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Fuel Sight Tube Broke- pics included

Brittle little tubes these are. I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank. I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased. It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray. As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces. Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it. Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Corbin

Jay - I was thinking of getting rid of it and only using the fuel indicator on the G3X display.  But then wondered if I would trust it.  Do you have a standard fuel gauge for yours or are you "glass" and use that fuel indicator in the display?

Corbin

On May 6, 2021 at 12:15 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Precisely my fear when I was building my fuel system, ergo, no header sight gauge in my plane. That said, there are several on this group that have robust solutions to the design and materials for your replacement that will put your mind at ease. I too am glad for you that it did not happen in flight. You must be living right.

Brittle little tubes these are. I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank. I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased. It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray. As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces. Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it. Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

--

Corbin
N121CG

Jay Scheevel

Hi Corbin,

I have a conductance gauge, so it is electronic and shows up on my EFIS, as does my main. It is pretty accurate, but it does depend slightly on relative humidity (we have none where I live, but you can have lots where you live).  Also, level varies by 30-40% at high AOA’s.  At one time I considered using a float gauge in the header but changed my mind. I have a back-up float gauge in the main, which I like, but it was easy to install.

There are other options for your header, but I think most people will coach you keep the sight gauge, since you have only 5 gallons, and I assume you mostly leave it full all the time. I have a 13.6 gallon header, so it is more like a normal tank, so I can run a couple hours without filling from the main.

Brittle little tubes these are. I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank. I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased. It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray. As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces. Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it. Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

--

Corbin
N121CG

Mike Dwyer

Yes, those are a yearly replacement item.  Looks like yours might be 5+ years old!  When they are no longer clear, your on borrowed time!  Same thing with the header tank overflow tubing.
Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 1:04 PM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Brittle little tubes these are.  I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank.  I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased.  It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray.  As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces.  Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it.  Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Mike Dwyer

Jay,
How do you know if your header tank fuel pump quits and your no longer refilling the header tank?
Also instead of the 1/4" output on the lines I put in a restrictor.  This way if the line does break, you'd get a much smaller volume of fuel coming out.

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 1:15 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike,

I keep an eye on several things. I have a fuel transfer pump on the main that refills the header. I think that is what you are referring to. When that pump is on, it fills the header much faster than I burn fuel out of the header, so there is a noticeable change in the reading on both tanks. Bad pump would be noticed right away, but I never let the header get below 3 gallons, so I always have at least ½ hour to find an airport….or almost a full hour if I were to really throttle back.

Brittle little tubes these are.  I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank.  I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased.  It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray.  As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces.  Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it.  Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Shaun Milke

Another concern with the sight gauge is not the tube breaking, but the tube slipping off the lower nipple on the tank. This happened to me halfway between Fort Nelson and Watson’s lake and was pretty terrifying! I couldn’t reach the nipple to plug it like I could a broken sight tube. I had just bought the airplane and replaced the tube with new material, but the nipple was a straight tube with no flare, barb, etc. and even with a tight hose clamp the vibration of the instrument panel was enough to work the tube off the nipple. A barbed nipple and restrictor seem like really good ideas when the fuel you need is draining on to your right leg!

Brittle little tubes these are.  I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank.  I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased.  It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray.  As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces.  Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it.  Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Corbin

Honestly, I thought it was discolored by design.  I know some are clear but I thought this was tinted tubing.

Corbin Ge!ser

On May 6, 2021 at 12:49 PM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Crain

Use a larger hose piece that fits over the original fuel hose.  It gives a bigger diameter for the hose clamp to tighten up against and holds the underneath hose better.  You can split the smaller outer hose lengthwise if it won’t quite fit over the inside hose.  Heck you can use two hoses over the inside one if you like!
Bruce Crain

On May 6, 2021, at 1:27 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[...]

That’s a great idea, Bruce. Wish I had thought of that while building. I would have put a corning tempered glass “sight glass” as the sight gauge and then covered the whole length of it with a clear vinyl tube clamped on both ends. The fuel would only come in contact with the glass unless that glass broke and if it did that, then the vinyl would hold everything together without a spill until a repair could be made.

[...]

Mike Steinsland

Glad this topic came up because this is something that has haunted my thinking since the first time I saw the panel of a Q2!

I like the idea of doubling up, or just putting a gauge in the tank.

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

I avoided the entire issue by installing 2 fuel gauges/sending units, one in main and one in header, with low level light annunciator in header tank. It's much cleaner and gets rid of that ugly sight gauge. . Also I run 3/8" fuel line and have no rubber hand fuel pump. Been working fine for 21 years. Just another option.

Jim
N46JP Q200

[...]

I meant only a short piece to go over the aluminum tubing.  About 2” in length.  Sounds like a new idea with the Corning though!
Bruce

[...]

I had a capacitive sender in my header tank but could never trust that thing.  I've gone back to a sight gauge.
Mike Q200 N3QP

On Thu, May 6, 2021, 5:16 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
[...]

Move to the high desert, Mike 😊  The only one that should listen to my advice should be Charlie….or vice versa.  No offense Jon Finley, but you have gone over to the dark side anyway with the whole RV thing.

[...]

For what it's worth....
This may not have anything to do with your issue but the photo looks like the (once upon a time) clear plastic tubes supplied with the Quickies.
Mine would discolor, get soft  at the tank and shrink.  The top, further from the tank, would crack.  Fuel don't actually travel up the tub only the dowel.
After changing several through the years I called McMaster Carr for some guidance.
When I told the guy that I had been using a clear plastic tubing called Tygothane, I believe, he asked who told me to use that.  I had been getting it from them all these years.  He knew that would not work.  The catalogue even said it was fuel resistant as I remember.  I might add that I couldn't find it in their catalogue this time.
Instead he recommended Pyrex tubing.  You know the glass cookware stuff.  Worried how to cut it to length turned out not to be an issue.  Just scored the tube
with a Dremel cut off wheel until it came apart.  That was just prior to OSH 2019.  It is as clear as a bell and virtually indestructible.
To cut it I ran it through another plastic tube and squeezed with a vice enough that the Pyrex would turn inside the softer tubing with some resistance so
the Dremel wheel would slowly spin it and make a nice even cut.  That Pyrex glass is very hard so the cutoff wheel was very slow but got the job done and no scratches.
Obviously a lathe would have been better but me don't have one.
Maybe this helps. Keith

Brittle little tubes these are.  I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank.  I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased.  It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray.  As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces.  Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it.  Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Corbin

Thanks Keith.  Any and all information is incredibly helpful so thank you for sending this.

Corbin

On May 6, 2021, at 6:03 PM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

[...]

LOL, ya agree about the RV.
Mike

On Thu, May 6, 2021, 6:47 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Walterson

Corbin----------  I have a small valve installed at the header tank, just in case. Sitting in the airplane I can reach in a shut of the fuel to the site gauge.  I am using the site tube that came with the kit. It will probably glaze over like my little Quickie did and I will replace it with glass tube.  Also sending a picture of where I am with the project. Lots of little thing to do, but plugging along.

Take care    Chris