From: "James Patillo" <patillo@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2000 6:12 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] FUUUN!

I must say, this aircraft, like Bob Farnam's is really easy to fly and
control. I know it's because of the refinements we both have made. Mine more
copying his than invention. I would say to you guys finishing your birds, if
you do it the way we did you will get the same results. A docile little bird
that goes like stink!

I hope this little memo encourages all of you to work a little faster. It
really is worth the ride! Jim Patillo

James Patillo <patillo@...>

James,

For better handling, control and redundancy we've installed ONLY the following:

Carbon Spar With LS1Wing Mod
La Rue Hydraulic Disc Brake Mod
Toe Brake With Remote Reservoir Mod
Farnam Bellcrank Mod In Tailcone
Reflexor Mod
Speed Brake (Belly Board Mod)
6" Swivel Tailwheel Mod
5/8"Spring Steel Tailwheel Rod

The rest of the plane is stock with NO wheel alignments!

As a result both our planes brake well, steer extremely well and are very comfortable and controllable at ALL speeds including moderate crosswinds i.e.; they fly like any other airplane and just as easy. You point them in a direction and they stay there. If anyone is interested we could give a talk at Ottawa on the subject.

I'm sure this is no news to allot of you old pro's but might be helpful for newer people who do not wish to continue experimenting and get their birds flying, successfully!

Regards,
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

My Groups | Q-LIST Main Page | Start a new group!

Jim,

So what mods have you and Bob made?

James Postma
james@...
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT (GMT-8) voice
> I must say, this aircraft, like Bob Farnam's is really easy to fly and
control. I know it's because of the refinements we both have made. Mine more
copying his than invention. I would say to you guys finishing your birds, if
you do it the way we did you will get the same results. A docile little bird
that goes like stink!

> I hope this little memo encourages all of you to work a little faster. It
really is worth the ride! Jim Patillo

Jon Finley <finley@...>

Jim,

Ya got me curious - what do you mean when you say "no wheel alignments"?
I'm guessing that you installed the gear per plans (inverted - through the
axle hole sighting) and have never checked the alignment using the "Gall"
method??

Jon Finley
N54JF Quickie - Volkswagen 1835cc
N90MG Q2 - Subaru EA-81 DDT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html

> I must say, this aircraft, like Bob Farnam's is really easy to fly and
control. I know it's because of the refinements we both have made. Mine
more
copying his than invention. I would say to you guys finishing your
birds, if
you do it the way we did you will get the same results. A docile little
bird
that goes like stink!

> I hope this little memo encourages all of you to work a little faster.
It
really is worth the ride! Jim Patillo

James Postma <james@...>

Jim,

I have a Q2 with reflexor and belly board and wheel alinement (positive
camber).

What is the swivel tailwheel?

Where do you get the brakes?

It seems that the Q200 with the LS1 canard has better ground handling than
the Q2 with the GU canard. Do you agree?

Why are you not doing the wheel alinement? Are you skeptical.

James Postma
james@...
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT (GMT-8) voice

> I must say, this aircraft, like Bob Farnam's is really easy to fly and
control. I know it's because of the refinements we both have made. Mine
more
copying his than invention. I would say to you guys finishing your
birds, if
you do it the way we did you will get the same results. A docile little
bird
that goes like stink!

> I hope this little memo encourages all of you to work a little faster.
It
really is worth the ride! Jim Patillo

James Patillo <patillo@...>

My Groups | Q-LIST Main Page | Start a new group!

Jim,

I have a Q2 with reflexor and belly board and wheel alinement (positive
camber).

What is the swivel tailwheel?

Its a 6" rubber tail wheel assembly that has the right geometry to put the tail in the right position in height and remains locked to 30 degrees left or right. After 30 degrees the tail wheel breaks loose to swivel 360 degrees. This makes it real easy to make turns on one wheel or to push the airplane around.

Where do you get the brakes?

The toe brakes are simple to make with a hydraulic cylinder behind each rudder pedal and resevoir on the out side firewall. This allows for precise control when running down the runway at any speed. The LaRue Brake mod is also very easy to make with plans we have. That mod makes the hydraulic discs stay in much better alignment and can't bind.

It seems that the Q200 with the LS1 canard has better ground handling than
the Q2 with the GU canard. Do you agree?

Don't know. Don't know how the other handles.

Why are you not doing the wheel alinement? Are you skeptical.

No. Just have absolutely no need to do it, nor did Bob Farnam. Our planes are built to factory specifications.

Finally the bell crank mod is really important. Without it you stand the very real possibility of breaking a tail spring and loosing all control. As you know when the tail spring breaks the rudder pedals both rotate forward to the firewall and stay there. With the bell crank mod there are two cables going to it from the pedals and four comming off it to the rear. Two for the tailwheel and two for the rudder. Between the bellcrank and the tail wheel are also two inline tail wheel springs to dampen wheel. If the tail spring breaks you still have directional control with the brakes and the rudder is still intact for a possible go around if required

Regards Jim Patillo N46JP Q2000

.
James Postma
james@...
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT (GMT-8) voice
> For better handling, control and redundancy we've installed ONLY the
following:

> Carbon Spar With LS1Wing Mod
> La Rue Hydraulic Disc Brake Mod
> Toe Brake With Remote Reservoir Mod
> Farnam Bellcrank Mod In Tailcone
> Reflexor Mod
> Speed Brake (Belly Board Mod)
> 6" Swivel Tailwheel Mod
> 5/8"Spring Steel Tailwheel Rod
>
> The rest of the plane is stock with NO wheel alignments!
>
> As a result both our planes brake well, steer extremely well and are very
comfortable and controllable at ALL speeds including moderate crosswinds
i.e.; they fly like any other airplane and just as easy. You point them in a
direction and they stay there. If anyone is interested we could give a talk
at Ottawa on the subject.

> I'm sure this is no news to allot of you old pro's but might be helpful
for newer people who do not wish to continue experimenting and get their
birds flying, successfully!

> Regards,
> Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

Chris Adkins <ccadkins@...>

James,
Where can I obtain a copy of the plans for the brake and rudder belcrank
mods you've described??
Chris Adkins
ccadkins@...

> For better handling, control and redundancy we've installed ONLY the
following:

> Carbon Spar With LS1Wing Mod
> La Rue Hydraulic Disc Brake Mod
> Toe Brake With Remote Reservoir Mod
> Farnam Bellcrank Mod In Tailcone
> Reflexor Mod
> Speed Brake (Belly Board Mod)
> 6" Swivel Tailwheel Mod
> 5/8"Spring Steel Tailwheel Rod
>
> The rest of the plane is stock with NO wheel alignments!
>
> As a result both our planes brake well, steer extremely well and are
very
comfortable and controllable at ALL speeds including moderate crosswinds
i.e.; they fly like any other airplane and just as easy. You point them
in a
direction and they stay there. If anyone is interested we could give a
talk
at Ottawa on the subject.

> I'm sure this is no news to allot of you old pro's but might be
helpful
for newer people who do not wish to continue experimenting and get their
birds flying, successfully!

> Regards,
> Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

Pat Panzera <panzera@...>

James Patillo wrote:

Update on N45JP Quickie 200 Livermore, CA
I wanted to take a moment to offer my congratulations.
I know you've worked long and hard, and the quality and beauty
of your project proves it. I hope to see you at Ottawa where I'm
sure you'll take home "best of show".

As you cruse there at 180mph +, with your leather upholstery,
color GPS and coupled autopilot, and all the extras you
installed,
aren't you glad you didn't build it as per the plans, even
though
it could have been done sooner?

Pat

BD5ER@...

You can down load the speed brake and some other stuff from here;
<A HREF="http://mmae.iit.edu/~quickie/">IPRO 497-026 Improvements to the
Quickie Kit Plane</A>
click on Downloads CAd drawings

In a message dated 9/6/00 11:47:19 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
ccadkins@... writes:

<< James,
Where can I obtain a copy of the plans for the brake and rudder belcrank
mods you've described??
Chris Adkins
ccadkins@... >>

"Think outside the box - but fly in the envelope"
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bd5er/Qpage.html">Q-2 page</A>
Leon McAtee

Bruce Crain

Atta' boy Jim!!!!!
It is a kick 'aint it?!!!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Robert M. Farnam <bfarnam@...>

Chris,

There aren't any plans, only sketches, pictures and descriptions. If there is
enough interest, I'll make up some engineering drawings for it. See the Q
newsletter of Sept/Oct 1989 for the Bob La Rue brake caliper mount mod. I can
draw up the brake pedals which fit on the original rudder pedals, Tom Moore has
pix of the tailwheel and belcrank as well as an article I wrote for the
newletter. He'll probably be publishing it in a coming newsletter. And
somewhere in my builders log I have the proportions for the belcrank recorded.
Also Mike Brown has some of the info, although I think he doesn't have the
latest version of the brake pedal.

Bob F.
N200QK

Chris Adkins wrote:

James,
Where can I obtain a copy of the plans for the brake and rudder belcrank
mods you've described??
Chris Adkins
ccadkins@...

> For better handling, control and redundancy we've installed ONLY the
following:

> Carbon Spar With LS1Wing Mod
> La Rue Hydraulic Disc Brake Mod
> Toe Brake With Remote Reservoir Mod
> Farnam Bellcrank Mod In Tailcone
> Reflexor Mod
> Speed Brake (Belly Board Mod)
> 6" Swivel Tailwheel Mod
> 5/8"Spring Steel Tailwheel Rod
>
> The rest of the plane is stock with NO wheel alignments!
>
> As a result both our planes brake well, steer extremely well and are
very
comfortable and controllable at ALL speeds including moderate crosswinds
i.e.; they fly like any other airplane and just as easy. You point them
in a
direction and they stay there. If anyone is interested we could give a
talk
at Ottawa on the subject.

> I'm sure this is no news to allot of you old pro's but might be
helpful
for newer people who do not wish to continue experimenting and get their
birds flying, successfully!

> Regards,
> Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

Bob Malechek

Jim, congratulations on your first flights! sounds like things are going well
and you are getting used to your new bird. I hope to see you at Ottawa this
year if I can get free from our building project.

Fly safely!

Bob Malechek