GPS Dimension

To you Sam H,
You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?
Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.
Thought you might like to know.
Keith

Bruce Crain

I have the 660 and love it!  It connects to my “True Track auto pilot.  I haven’t had it long enough to figure everything out yet but it works great and the battery lasts a long time even tho I have it wired into the ac electric system.  It is in my RV 6 but I’ll almost bet I will have one in my TriQ as my current one is the old Garmin 296.
Bruce

On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

To you Sam H,
You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?
Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.
Thought you might like to know.
Keith

The 296 is why I now have the 660.
It would not update and the date was 1999.
I called Garmin, was told that series of GPS’s (196/296) have gone further into the future than expected and is why the dates did not roll over.
He hooked up to mine and it did update but not the date. With only 9 days left in the cycle he just let me have the update.

However, he told me he couldn’t guarantee it would take one or more updates but eventually it would be an expensive paper weight. I see ‘‘em advertised on eBay for $200 sooooo. I think off it’ll go.

On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@juno.com> wrote:

To you Sam H,You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.Thought you might like to know.Keith

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

Hey Bruce,
Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did. Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages. So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them. Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets.
Yuk!!

[...]

Investigators: Suspect's Bloody License Left in SUV With Bodies
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0442807230436388st01vuc1
One COVID Model Suggests Things Are About to Get Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb0444707a30436388st01vuc2
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/614bb04466a2e30436388st01vuc3

I'm debating between the dual G5 or the G3x system as I build..... I can see benefits and downfalls either way.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, 5:38 PM Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
[...]

Forgot to mention the 660 battery only lasts about an hour. I didn’t have it plugged in enroute to your place and it was dead before my first stop. Even says in the quick start guide to plug it in to power. The guide didn’t say anything about a short life. The Garmin guy told me the battery was never intended to last very long.
The supplied battery is 1960mAh. A 2300mAh battery can be bought on eBay. I mainly got it as a backup for my FlyQ. And yes, it IS a really nice gps

[...]

G3X seems a bit large?  although it replaces a lot of other instruments so it could save you room perhaps?
The are a bit pricey but then again it would serve a lot of other instruments that you could do without.
Bruce

[...]

Quick start only Keith so I went online and had my 660 in hand and worked at understanding it.  I also took the 660 outside with it plugged into the AC adapter so I could get satelites and practice using it.  I also installed it and coupled it to the Trutrak auto pilot (in my RV6) so I had to get the NMEA to talk with the same baud rate as the 660.

I also have the 296 (inn my TRiQ) and am wondering if I can just use the same 660 with my Trio EZ pilot in my TriQ200.  I think the TriQ can be programed to talk with the 660 instead of the other way around.  The Trutrak talks in 9600 baud rate to if the Trio EZ will talk with the same baud rate I will be able to use it.  It quick disconnects from the harness I wired into the RV so it should be a piece of cake to set them up.  I hope.  Then all I need is an extra hard wire harness to put in the TriQ200

Bruce

Did your 660 come with only a quick start guide?
Mine did.  Frustrated, I went to the Garmin web site and found a Pilot Manual which is 252 pages.  So I called Garmin and was told they no longer supply the manuals in paper form since everyone has a means to download ‘‘em now a days.
I guess they don’t make enough money to justify printing them.  Instead of having a handy reference manual now I’ll have a folder of 8-1/2x11 sheets.
Yuk!!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bruce Crain

Does it need a replacement battery?
Bruce

[...]

Dave Dugas

I can change the baud rate on my Trutrak once I get into the menu.
Dave D

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 9:19 PM, Bruce Crain
<jcrain2@...> wrote:
[...]

Sam Hoskins

Thanks Keith.

I had inadvertently loaded the wrong database when I was updating my GPS 196. When I got back, I found that I could reinstall with the one that I needed. I will look into the 660, but I'm not flying all that much these days so I'm not really sure it's worth it for me.

Sam

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, 9:50 AM Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
To you Sam H,
You might remember that we talked briefly about your GPS while at the fuel pump in Enid the other day?
Well...the Aera 660 is nearly identical in dimension to the 196 that you have and at a fraction of the depth.
Thought you might like to know.
Keith

Michel Royer

Bruce..
I just checked in manual and the Trio EZ communicate at 4800 baud rate.

Bruce Crain

I spoke with Trio and the guy said the back d rate in the Trio will look at the baud rate of the gps and automatically go to that baud rate if my unit is new enough.  If not he said I could send it in and they could change it for me.  It’s just a firm ware thing.
So I can use and drive the two different auto pilots with the same Aera 660 gps.  I just need a hard wire harness and the 3 wires hooked up to gps signal, positive and ground.
No reason to wait if the 296 is quickly becoming obsolete.
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Michel Royer <royerm2@...> wrote:

Bruce..
I just checked in manual and the Trio EZ communicate at 4800 baud rate.

Jim Patillo

Bruce,

When I bought my Trio, I understood the baud rate works from 4800 to 9600 Baud. I have a 496 and it has worked fine with the Trio.
I am planning to switch to the 660. My question is, is the power harness the same and can I use my 496-power cord to hook up to the 660, or is it a different connection?

Jim
N46JP

I spoke with Trio and the guy said the back d rate in the Trio will look at the baud rate of the gps and automatically go to that baud rate if my unit is new enough.  If not he said I could send it in and they could change it for me.  It’s just a firm ware thing.
So I can use and drive the two different auto pilots with the same Aera 660 gps.  I just need a hard wire harness and the 3 wires hooked up to gps signal, positive and ground.
No reason to wait if the 296 is quickly becoming obsolete.
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Michel Royer <royerm2@...> wrote:

Bruce..
I just checked in manual and the Trio EZ communicate at 4800 baud rate.

Bruce Crain

Jim
I assume the 496 power cord is the same as the 296.  If so the 660 is a total different animal.  But with only 3 wires to hook up it is a piece of cake.
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2021, at 11:27 AM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bruce. That’s what I though. How well does the 660 work in a hot cockpit in direct sunlight. Does it ever get hot and shut down like an IPhone?

Jim

I spoke with Trio and the guy said the back d rate in the Trio will look at the baud rate of the gps and automatically go to that baud rate if my unit is new enough.  If not he said I could send it in and they could change it for me.  It’s just a firm ware thing.
So I can use and drive the two different auto pilots with the same Aera 660 gps.  I just need a hard wire harness and the 3 wires hooked up to gps signal, positive and ground.
No reason to wait if the 296 is quickly becoming obsolete.
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2021, at 8:31 AM, Michel Royer <royerm2@...> wrote:

Bruce..
I just checked in manual and the Trio EZ communicate at 4800 baud rate.

Bruce Crain

Jim,
Not sure I’ve had it long enough to test it thoroughly.  I have it under the glare screen so it usually doesn’t see direct sunlight.  All it takes to remove it from the harness is push one button and you can “put it where the sun don’t shine”.  (Don’t take that personally).
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

A single 10.5 landscape screen will just fit yop to bottom with decent edge distance. I have a cad drawing based on the one from the q-list archives. It fits inside the edges well although slightly inboard. Copilot side would have a panel mount transponder with ads-b in/out for traffic. Lit rocker switches for all systems, (probably aveo rockers) as well as the Aveo Andromeda wing tip lights for nav and strobe. Landing light location and type undecided at this time. The G3x radios would be installed behind the seat back bulkhead. Which makes ample room for header tank up front.