Gross

Chris Walterson

Did my gross flight test this morning.

 Over 1100 lbs I increased the weight 45 lbs at a time.

I tried the first landing with normal reflexor and found that the nose up attitude gave me a constant flair and when it landing it really three pointed and planted.

 The next few landing up to 1250 lbs I use the reflexor and dropped the nose. Kept the speed around 110 mph indicated and flew it on..

 Way more comfortable.

 I found on takeoff I reflexed ailerons up a bit to get the tail down and the airplane took of better.  Not much movement on the reflexor is needed for changes.

 I was going to use cement bags for ballast, but the 80 lb jump was a bit much and I would have a hard time lifting it, so I found 45 lb bags of sheep manure, Conformed to the seat well and I could use the seat belt to hold it in place,  and after , I spread it on my lawn.

The one down side is that because they were sitting outside at the store, they had absorbed a bit of water. I had weighed the bags to allow for this , but once installed in the airplane the weight sqeezed the juice out and I had a bit of sheep shit juice under the seat. Surprisingly , didn't stink.

 Anyway, after all the testing, removed the bags, cleaned the liquid and good to go.

 At 1253lbs and around 65 F, starting at 1100 ft altitude I see 700 FPM with 5 lbs boost for three minutes.  I can crank in more boost , but that climb rate is pretty good.

 Observations after 25 hrs.  Really nice responsive airplane. Good performance with good fuel burn.

 Although it does land fast, it is not that hard to land.  Take care----------  Chris

Edwin Medina

What engine are you using?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 11:17 Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
[...]

Anthony P

Nice report!

Wish I could go for a ride with you.

Now you can start an aircargo manure business!  :)
When you're tired of that, you can rig up a contraption and perform aerial manure spreading.

--
Q2 N86KL

Chris Walterson

Edwin-------------  Subaru 2.5 turbocharged direct drive.----------  Chris

RK

I'd love to hear more about your EJ combo if you don't mind.  I was looking at a ej207, (JDM STI with the forged/nitrided crank & rods).  Which 2.5 are you using?  Any internal modifications?

Thanks!

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 3:01 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Edwin-------------  Subaru 2.5 turbocharged direct drive.----------  Chris

Dan Thomas

Chris,  since you are a direct drive, is there some kind of thrust bearing on your engine to keep from pulling the crank out the front?

—Dan Thomas
    Everett, WA

On Friday, July 22, 2022, 1:01 PM, Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:

 Edwin-------------  Subaru 2.5 turbocharged direct drive.----------  Chris

Chris Walterson

RK and Dan-------  There is no thrust provision in the engine. I have 600 hrs on my other one with no issues.  The gyro guys use this combination  direct drive also.

 Reg Clark did lots of the development and most of us have variations of his.

 Mine is a normally asspirated 2.5 SOHV with the standard Subaru turbocharger.  I have a manually controlled waste gate.

 No mods to the insides.  I have a ring gear from a Ford Taurus attached to a custom crank to extension adapter. The extension is 4 inch Sabre with three blade ground adjust Warp drive.  Small mini alternator with Saturn car starter. Heavily modified Ebay Subaru turbo headers, custom intake manifold and water outlets. VW scirroco rad along with SDS ignition and injection.  Custom engine mount using sway bar bushings for mounts.

 As I said my EA 81 has 600 hrs and is 20 some years old. Subarus are relativeley nice cheap engines, but it is not a simple plug and play. I don't have any finished pictures of the engine, but this will give you an idea.------------  Chris

[...]

Thanks for the info.  I went back and re watched your Q tour and still had more questions.  I did notice you went with the SDS.  Tuning has advanced and I'm looking into a speed density tune using oem injection should I choose this route.

Which model engine is this exactly?  I've had several WRX's and am not familiar with a SOHC 2.5 turbo.  I have brainstormed that a retrofit to SOHC heads on the ej 207 would result in less mass and complexity.   Not sure if that's doable though.

Being a fabricator by trade, know I appreciate that low profile intake.  Looks mint.