inspection

Chris Walterson

Had my final inspection a few weeks back. I was waiting for the paperwork and then the inspector phoned.

On the Q200 the wing loading is higher than average.  Are the elevators considered "flaps".

I have more than 13.75 lbs per square foot at gross and I would need a High performance rating to fly it, unless, I can consider the

elevators flaps.  Can anyone give me a solution to please Transport Canada?

 And that is at the 1100 lbs in the manual. i would like to up gross to 1250 when testing is done.

  How have the heavier airplanes solved this question?---------- Thanks ------ Chris--

A number of Q2xx's have been certified in Canada, so I am not sure why you are singled out for different treatment, but for what it is worth, the primary lifting surface is the canard and the elevators can be considered flaps, if the definition of flaps is that they increased the lift, camber and decrease the stall speed of the primary lifting surface.

Had my final inspection a few weeks back. I was waiting for the paperwork and then the inspector phoned.

On the Q200 the wing loading is higher than average. Are the elevators considered "flaps".

I have more than 13.75 lbs per square foot at gross and I would need a High performance rating to fly it, unless, I can consider the

elevators flaps. Can anyone give me a solution to please Transport Canada?

And that is at the 1100 lbs in the manual. i would like to up gross to
1250 when testing is done.

How have the heavier airplanes solved this question?---------- Thanks
------ Chris--

Brent Sherstan

Hi Chris, I have a Q2 in Calgary and I am currently going through the process to get a High Performance Rating. The wing loading for a flapless configuration is the issue - meaning that Transport Canada considers the high approach speed a concern.

Jay's definition of flaps on the canard is worth a shot but it didn't work for me, I think the inspector would realize very quickly that the devices moving on the canard are the elevators. I suspect that the High Performance Rating did not exist when most of the Q2s in Canada were constructed thirty years ago, so all those builders didn't have to worry about it. But since you've just built yours and need to go through the whole paperwork process, there's no way around it. I know some guys that bought a Q2 in Canada and just never bothered with the rating. They fly it as they wish and would likely only get caught at a random ramp check. I decided to go through with the process so I can travel to the States and not worry about paperwork snags ruining my trip.

The High Performance Rating process is not very difficult, that being said, I have heard Transport Canada policy tends to change depending on who you're dealing with in the organization (not specifically about High Performance Ratings, just in general). The Q2 is listed in the CARS, Standard 421, Appendix A, so they definitely know about it. What you need for a High Performance Rating is 200 hours on aeroplanes, to have completed the appropriate ground training, and to have completed a qualifying flight under Transport Canada supervision. As there is no organization that offers a ground training syllabus on the Q2, I was able to make my own. Specifically, in order to be ready for the qualifying flight, here is what I had to put together:

1) A letter of intent (who is requesting the training, what type of training is being requested, how will the training be conductred, etc.)
2) Description of Aircraft (and why it's considered high performance)
3) Training profile (ground training plan that completely describes every system of the aircraft in detail, and an air training plan)

When that is all complete, I contact him and arrange the qualifying flight. He will come to my airport and watch me do three circuits from the ground (they're not getting in that questionable machine with you... haha). He will be on the radio and instruct various things in the circuits as well as emergencies.

I'm a former military helicopter pilot and I actually bought the Q2 before I even had my civilian licenses, so I tailored my air training plan specifically to learning tailwheel aircraft. Also, I've had the Q2 for 5 years now and have completely rebuilt the engine, added significant avionics, and fixed some airframe issues. So, I'm taking it slow and almost treating it as a new aircraft. I bought the EAA Flight Test Manual. I made working through that as part of my air training plan and he was happy with it. Basically, I am restricted to my airport and practise area, and when I work through the EAA Flight Test Manual and finally feel comfortable, then he will come check me out and that will be it. I wanted to take it slow and steady with this airplane anyway so this High Performance Rating didn't really add any burden.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'd also like to say hello to everyone else on the list. I've had the Q2 for 5 years now and have been lurking on the site ever since. I wanted to introduce myself after I've been flying more seriously but that seems to have been more elusive that I imagined. I've flown 4 hours total and have had several teething issues with the engine, but I think I've solved the issues and hope to be flying regularly moving forward. You guys have a great group!

Brent Sherstan

Jay Scheevel

Great summary, Brent. Thanks for giving such a detailed analysis for Chris to chew over. I did not know that there was such an issue in Canada. In any case, it sounds like you are doing things in a very methodical and safe way and it is good to know that you are there and have been lurking for a while on this group. Keep up the good work and send us a photo of your plane.

[...]

Brent-----------  If I use the fuselage in my calculations, along with my extended wing and canard I am a bit under the high performance rating.  If they don't accept this, I would think I would be in line for a good fine.  It seems that I have 900 hrs in high performance airplanes over the last thirty years, and Transport Canada certified both planes.

It seemed to me, at the time, transport Canada recognized the elevators as flaps.

 My dragonfly will stall slower than a 150 Cessna, but is considered too hot to handle.

 I think I am okay using the fuselage.  I'll keep you posted.-------------  Chris

smeshno1@...

 Brent...and others here...in the works is a change to the required 40 hour Phase 1 flight testing process within the States. Not sure where the status is now, but the EAA Flight Test Manual is the basis for the newly proposed acceptance method. I believe Canada and the USA are actually making good changes in this direction so both Nations are following mostly the same methodologies. Sales on either side of the border would definitely be streamlined due to the similarities.

 Having been involved personally in Certifications of Commonwealth Nations aircraft built in the USA (since the mid 70's) I had early lessons in dramatic requirement differences. European builds as well (I was with Spirit Aerosystems as supplier to both Airbus and Boeing at the time). Learjets built for Commonwealth Nations had several different changes in accepted materials we had to be careful to use correctly. That was my first "paid" aviation job in 1975. Specialized paperwork as well.

I wonder if Chris could use the belly board installation, which is a drag device intended to steepen the decent angle to good use in the Canadian Cert? Technically not a lift device. It might be worth asking your regulators. It is an approved addition to the airframe..more than one have them in use now.

Vern

[...]

If flapperons qualify as flaps, then flappervators should also. I essentially use my elevator trim as flaps when setting up for landing. I would be curious to see what their regulatory response is, if you propose that elevators are also flaps.