Looking for videos and links on "Fiberglass for Dummies"

I am paying a fiberglass expert to come and work with me for a day when I come back, and I have had some experience working on sailboats. I'd like to prepare a little before. Can you please share links to online video resources and documents to  read up before my one day intensive?

Specifically looking for ...
  • How to make foam/fiberglass firewall cutouts / boxes
  • How to fiberglass mounting bolts in place
  • How to paint fiberglass repairs and blend them into existing paint
  • How to make an O-200 plenum ... yes I know thats probably too specific LOL
I have done a good cruise of YouTube but not much is about the little gritty stuff that we do with our Quickies and wet layups. I figured the Quickie brain trust here may have some resources ready to share. And if you are in the mood to come and visit and do some with me, the more the merrier ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Corbin

I gathered some documents a while back.  I uploaded to my dropbox here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/142bl3c2lvw5d5j/AACcgXTVoyuJ6o9XQTEPTw7la?dl=0

Hope it helps.

Corbin

On May 20, 2022, at 12:52 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

[...]

N121CG

Jay Scheevel

Before you let the “expert” do anything to your plane, make sure YOU have read and are familiar with the following document: http://n8wq.scheevel.com/documents/RAF_composite_education_section_from_Q2Plans.pdf

The expert may be familiar with the most modern techniques, but unfamiliar with how your plane was actually constructed 35 years ago. Sometimes mixing techniques can lead to unanticipated consequences. If you are familiar with the techniques in the above document, at least you can ask intelligent questions if someone is telling you how it needs to be done.

Cheers,

jay

[...]

Jay - The "expert" has built 3 Quickies ;-) and thanks for the document, will read for sure!
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

If that’s the case, you can probably just use his name and we will all know better who is advising you.

OK, this is THE classic from the original source: https://youtu.be/-5nNadZKI6s

[...]

I’m only 31 minutes in and thoroughly enjoying this video.  Thanks Jay!

Corbin

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Boat fiberglass is different because your not really concerned with weight.

The plans start off with you building a test part.  Highly advise you do this first.
Here in Fl we have a shop that can supply almost anything you need.  https://www.fgci.com/products/
Some pretty good info there too.
We use epoxy as it won't dissolve the blue/pink foam.  Vinyl Esters will dissolve it.

8 oz BID is a good material for making the mag box.  You'll soon learn that if the radius of your bend is too tight, you'll have problems.  You always use 45 degree fibers at bends, 90 degree will lift up and leave an air gap that has no strength.  When making repairs you don't want to mix epoxy's and Vinyl Esters.  Stick with whatever the structure was built from.

I know your converting a Q2 to a Q200.  Have you studied all the many differences in the planes?  The GU canard spar ends about 4 feet from the wing tips.  A hard landing will break the canard there.  Got any tailwheel time?  Do you have a full set of Q200 plans?   Check out:  https://www.pielandings.com/q200/q1.html

Fly Safe,
Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 1:52 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
[...]

Answers to your questions ...
- I fly exclusively tailwheels
- I did buy the plans
- I understand the canards are different, not planning to redo the canard but go with VGs similar to Martin Summer / Corbin's plane

Thanks Mile for the link with all the pages,

Robert

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Robert,

You will have some time while you are restoring your plan in order to do this. I suggest you get some time in some very fast-landing, touchy, planes. Find an instructor with a Pitts S2 or maybe talk to Corbin and see if he can get you together with one of his GameBird buddies. Getting used to how fast things happen on approach will help you a lot. Maybe Jim Patillo can take you around the pattern a few times when you get closer to flying yours, just to familiarize you with the look out of the cockpit on short final and landing. My 2-cents

- I understand the canards are different, not planning to redo the canard but go with VGs similar to Martin Summer / Corbin's plane

Thanks Mile for the link with all the pages,

Robert

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

I currently fly an RV4 which is fast but not as fast as a Quickie. And YES I will try to partner up with Jim and hopefully get some time in the seat next to him. There also is a school that teaches in Pitts just a little south and I will take a look at that.

Thanks Robert