From: Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Date: 3/6/21 9:28 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] N96BJ Flight

Honey Lamb and I flew to Siloam Springs, Arkansas to see her Norwegian family today!  Cool 42 degrees and smooooth air all the way!  Bought a couple of landings that had her bragging on me!  How often does that happen?  Lots of long metal buildings with chickens in them.  I found out a hen who counts her own eggs is called a Mathemachicken!  😲.   The last photo is right base to Siloam Springs Smith Airport.  Round trip was 2.5 hours.  Q’s rule!!
Bruce and Honey Lamb Crain.

He Has Helped More People Die in California Than Anyone
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f3c60fa39f17fb4st02vuc1
Biden: Look for Payments This Month
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f3eaa9f39f17fb4st02vuc2
Here's a Look at the Relief Bill That the Senate Just Passed
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f41a4a539f17fb4st02vuc3

Corbin

Nice!   I’m heading that way Monday.

Corbin

Nice!  Jerry

--

Corbin
N33QR

Pete Stein

Beautiful Pictures!

I'm heading to San Diego around the end of the month to pick up N9054Y!

Pete

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 9:10 PM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jay Scheevel

Those are great pictures and it looks like you flew your approach eggs-actly right!

On Mar 6, 2021, at 8:12 PM, Pete Stein <pete.stein.ina@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Nice report Bruce. You were in my old stomping grounds. Yes Quickies are a wonderful thing😊
Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Honey Lamb and I flew to Siloam Springs, Arkansas to see her Norwegian family today!  Cool 42 degrees and smooooth air all the way!  Bought a couple of landings that had her bragging on me!  How often does that happen?  Lots of long metal buildings with chickens in them.  I found out a hen who counts her own eggs is called a Mathemachicken!  😲.   The last photo is right base to Siloam Springs Smith Airport.  Round trip was 2.5 hours.  Q’s rule!!
Bruce and Honey Lamb Crain.

He Has Helped More People Die in California Than Anyone
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f3c60fa39f17fb4st02vuc1
Biden: Look for Payments This Month
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f3eaa9f39f17fb4st02vuc2
Here's a Look at the Relief Bill That the Senate Just Passed
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f41a4a539f17fb4st02vuc3

smeshno1@...

 Dems chikin houses! I learned to fly in Arkan saw (sas).. but I was born and raised (mostly) in Kan ZASS..  Used to catch guff
about being a"yankee" but I also had some fun like this one:

 Each night we wrote a "turn over" to the day shift at Falcon on various issues or questions. It was written only by the specific aircrafts Lead AP. At any given time 4 or more aircraft were being completed.   So one evening, after a session of the locals beating up on the Wichita Wonder Boyz earlier that afternoon, one of the items I wrote about was the following:

 "The bandsas is broken again"...

  Next day walking into the hangar I get wondering looks and queries about what the hell I was writing about and of course then I had my opportunity to pull a joke off on them for once.

 "Ya'll don know what a Band-SAW iz?".  Ggggg..

South Kansas was a member of the Confederacy. Northern Kansas was not! Wichita is located kinda South in the State

 Nice flight to The Natural State. Did you overfly TIA or tack around, Bruce?

 On a similar thought..anyone flown their craft to the Caribbean Islands yet?  I have for years considered that a "bucket list" item and I figure the American V.I. would be a good destination. It is tropical so not more than the required ham sandwich for baggage that Q-birds require might work better than maybe visiting Minnisoooota in winter.

 I figure my Russian bride wouldn't be complaining much flying Islands to the warm beach after this Winter!.

Honey Lamb and I flew to Siloam Springs, Arkansas to see her Norwegian family today!  Cool 42 degrees and smooooth air all the way!  Bought a couple of landings that had her bragging on me!  How often does that happen?  Lots of long metal buildings with chickens in them.  I found out a hen who counts her own eggs is called a Mathemachicken!  😲.   The last photo is right base to Siloam Springs Smith Airport.  Round trip was 2.5 hours.  Q’s rule!!
Bruce and Honey Lamb Crain.

He Has Helped More People Die in California Than Anyone
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f3c60fa39f17fb4st02vuc1
Biden: Look for Payments This Month
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f3eaa9f39f17fb4st02vuc2
Here's a Look at the Relief Bill That the Senate Just Passed
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/604439f41a4a539f17fb4st02vuc3

John Hoxie

Bruce, I met my last hangar mate Steve yesterday. He knew a guy at your airport with a Q2 there, but it wasn't you.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 7:28 PM, Bruce Crain
<jcrain2@...> wrote:
Honey Lamb and I flew to Siloam Springs, Arkansas to see her Norwegian family today!  Cool 42 degrees and smooooth air all the way!  Bought a couple of landings that had her bragging on me!  How often does that happen?  Lots of long metal buildings with chickens in them.  I found out a hen who counts her own eggs is called a Mathemachicken!  😲.  The last photo is right base to Siloam Springs Smith Airport.  Round trip was 2.5 hours.  Q’s rule!!
Bruce and Honey Lamb Crain.

He Has Helped More People Die in California Than Anyone
Biden: Look for Payments This Month
Here's a Look at the Relief Bill That the Senate Just Passed

Bruce Crain

We flew over TIA but t at 5500’ MSL and 6500’ MSL to avoid their Class C (4700’ top).  I’ve thought of the Caribbean also.  I am a bit apprehensive about loosing site of the horizon though.  Need to go to class with Mike Dwyer as he has been there with his Q200.  Summer might be best as all you need are T shirts flip flops and Speedos.  Gotta leave enough room for an inflatable raft.  I hear they will search for you a bit longer if they know your aircraft floats.
The American V.I. Is a looong way south!  Maybe we could rent a sailing yacht and head her south.  They probably won’t let us take it to the US V.I. So would need to but one and sell it when we’re done.  Would be a little older when we get back!
Bruce

On Mar 7, 2021, at 4:55 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

Norm Howell flew his 1 seat Quickie out of Enid.  I don’t recall any other Q’s here.
A guy at the Siloam Springs came over and told me of a Q 2 that crashed with both builders killed at Siloam Springs.  Does anyone remember who that was?  Something about a leak in the intake and it burned a valve.
Bruski

On Mar 7, 2021, at 5:16 PM, Joanne Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is the NTSB report on the crash that Bruce mentioned. It was totally avoidable. Engine maintenance major screw up... very poorly done.
http://n8wq.scheevel.com/documents/accidents/fatal/N996DT.pdf

By the way, the folder that I uploaded to the group contains complete documentation of every Q type crash in the NTSB database prior to 2018. Most listings also contain a hyperlink to the complete NTSB summary in pdf format like the one above. To find this information, just go to the list folder: https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/files/accident%20analyses. I also summarized the accidents in two documents in that same folder. There is another spreadsheet from Richard Kazmerick that is redundant to the material in my spreadsheet and reports. This stuff is worthwhile reading if you are getting ready to fly a Q, because it puts you in possession of all of the serious mistakes that have already been made.

smeshno1@...

 TIA never did have much of a sense of humor. I used to try all kinds of radio contact and they'd just send me over east somewhere..usually when I was between layers!  Maybe my accent gave me away??

Over water one always gets "automatic ruff". It was what an old time Hawaii WW2 pilot clued me in about that one. Only once
was I over a large lake.. called the Atlantic.  I stayed within 1 mile of the coast East of Daytona. Not extended and yes..I could make it back to something less wet than the ocean below if the fan up front quit.

  He also let me know those fish shadows below from 500 or so feet are probably the "eatin kind".. meaning they will eat you if given the chance!!  Years later I lived a short time on Kauai and learned from the locals why the sea turtles would often be on the beaches..
tiger sharks like to munch on the turtles swimming fins, and the "honu" don't care much for being appetizers for the
main course..surfers I'd guess.

 I need to visit with Mike. I wonder if I can take two of them Oklahoma Wal Mart pool floaties?? You are correct if the
engine was cut loose after ditching; the Q bird would float like any other surfboard. Explosive engine mount bolts and cowling screws??  Funny Vern. Hahaha..

 Last time this Kansas boy was on a sailboat (actually it was a large Catamaran) half the crew was barfing off the coast
of Na Pali.  None of the tourists seemed much interested in eating dinner they paid for! I guess being a pilot and flying
a lot over the hot Midwest trained my gizzard not to toss contents in choppy motions. At least Captain was impressed I
could deal with 15 to 20 foot swells.

 I might have gone in the Speedo when I earned my Private back when I was 22.. but at my age now that would be considered
severe punishment for any viewers! Bad.. bad bad.

[...]

 Thank you Jay. I realize non pilots think we are a morbid bunch but fact is we can only manage risk... no such thing as "flight safety" other than on the couch.  Aviation has been mostly advanced from learning what others have experienced. Going to read this now.

[...]

 They had the info in hand about the torque requirements for the engine.. flying at dusk (while not equipped for legal night flight) probably was a factor in choosing the emergency landing location. Two major errors to keep in mind in my "remember this" folder.

[...]

Hi Vern,

If you look at my spreadsheet you will see that I have classified each accident into one of several broad categories. My report describes the criteria for each category.

If you want a little entertainment, have a look at the NTSB summary reports for the accidents that I have lumped into the general category “WTF”. You just have to read them to believe them.

[...]

Richard Thomson

😁

On 07/03/2021 02:26, Bruce Crain wrote:
[...]

 I'll read those as well. Kinda like the guy with the Navion at the ramp in North Little Rock. Parked about two rows away from my 62B 150.  He hops in after a "pre flight",  fires up the engine,  and pretty much right then just decided to push the throttle in and go.

 Funny thing was... the Starboard wing was still chained down. No other aircraft near him at the time but the visual of that Navion doing a 180 turn hung on that chain had me laughing. No harm done other than his ego. 😊