New Group Member

Brent Sherstan

Hello everyone, as requested I will introduce my Q2.

It is serial #62 and was completed in 1984. It's been a bit of a hangar queen in that it only has 180 hrs on it. I am the third owner, the builder was David Lamoureux and I bought it off Norm Klassen in 2016. Norm only flew it around the area and I wanted to do a lot more with it, so I did a lot of work. I rebuilt the engine, installed new avionics, did a wheel alignment, and countless other things. Ultimately I'd only feel comfortable with it once I inspected and/or improved every little thing. I've flown it 3.6 hour last year and 0.4 this year as a result of some continued engine issues, but I'm fairly confident I've got it mostly sorted out (we shall see...).

All that work too way longer than I ever expected but I do have a young family at home (baby and a toddler), so there's not a lot of spare time to go around. It did allow me to go slow and steady though and I was able to read almost all of the Quicktalk and Q-talk archives. I've read a bunch of the old Yahoo groups material as well but haven't made it through all of it. As mentioned, I'm a former military helicopter pilot, and after a couple tours in Afghanistan, I knew it was time to go. I actually bought the Q2 with some of my severance money! By the time I was ready to fly the Q2, I had 20 hours of Q2 taxi time, 30 hours in a Citabria and 5 hours in a Vans RV6. I'd have to admit that I was plenty nervous for that first flight but in the end it was as docile as either of the other taildraggers I've flown (thanks to the wheel alignment and some other work I did on the tailwheel).

I included some before and after pictures. The airplane is white and yellow but I intend to paint it all white at some point. The avionics are a work in progress, I know a glass panel is more efficient but I just love the round gauges! I'm sure I'll add more functionality as I see the need though.

Glad to meet you all!
Brent

Jay Scheevel

Very nice work Brent. Thanks for posting your info and story about your plane. You are definitely doing everything right. Where are you located?

Cheers,
Jay   Tri-Q2 N8WQ, 190 hours
Grand Junction, Colorado

On Sep 29, 2021, at 9:27 PM, Brent Sherstan <brent.sherstan@...> wrote:

[...]

<Sherstan Q2.JPG>
<Engine before.JPG>
<Cockpit before.JPG>
<Engine after.JPG>
<Cockpit after.JPG>

Brent Sherstan

Thanks Jay. I'm in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, but the Q2 is at Parkland Airport which is 3 hours north, just outside Edmonton. Once I finish off the High Performance Rating I can move the airplane closer. Unfortunately though, I live 10 minutes from Springbank Airport which is one of the most expensive airfields in Western Canada. It might be a while yet until I can find the right parking situation.

Brent

Jim Patillo

Welcome Brent,

Looks like you’ve done a lot of work on your plane. Looks good.
I just have one question, are your vortex generators mounted on the elevators?

Best of Luck and good fortune with your upcoming flights.

Jim Patillo
N46JP - Q200
Livermore, Ca

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Welcome to the the group Brent.  Your Q2 looks great.  I'm curious what rate of climb your seeing.  Colorado is pretty high altitude.  FYI, if you ever consider flying south, those little round air vents won't cut it!  I started with those but ended up with a door over the NASA scoop that can be opened or closed. This allows a lot of air in when it's hot outside.  I do most of my flying at 90F here in FL.
Fly Safe,
Mike Dwyer Q200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021, 11:27 PM Brent Sherstan <brent.sherstan@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave Dugas

Hi Brent and welcome to you and another Revmaster Q. You've done a nice job on your Q and it looks like you have spent a lot of time on the engine cooling, which is the most important thing to keep the Revmaster engine running great. You're going to have a lot of fun with your plane. Hope to meet you one day and see your plane. Be safe and all the best.... Dave D

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 7:51 AM, Mike Dwyer
<q200pilot@...> wrote:
[...]

smeshno1@...

Howdy Brent.. So when the time comes your travelling in the Q and if you happen to attend Arlington EAA when I am there (I expect to be in that area soon on an aviation job) I'll treat you to a decent meal and you'll have a local to assist in your visit. EAA
Arlington is on my list to attend when I am in the area.

 Vern Lehman
Mannford Oklahoma (my home base)

[...]

Bruce Crain

Nice Q2 Brent!  Glad you read and used a lot of Q-Talk pointers!  It's a fun airplane!  especially when you taxi up and it becomes "eye candy"!
Bruce

[...]

Jim: I'm glad you mentioned the VG's, that was one of my questions. They are on the canard but farther back than I would have expected, I'll be at the airport this weekend and will take a picture. Does anyone know the proper location for VG's? Should they be at the peak curvature point on the wing, the point of maximum thickness? Mine are certainly aft of that.

Mike: I'm actually not sure of the climb rate yet, I have a new prop to try out and haven't got that far, hopefully this weekend. I agree about the little vents, I've done a few flights at 80 degrees and I was nearly soaked after an hour! I was thinking a tinted canopy and/or stick-on sun visor might be the solution?

Dave: I'm curious about your Revmaster CHT sensors. I have them located where Revmaster suggests (a hole drilled near the outer head stud, near the exhaust valve). I have an MGL TC-3 and I can't get a reading that I trust. I've checked the sensors in a boiling pot of water and they're right on, but when flying I haven't seen a reading over 300 degrees. Now, I've done a lot of work to make it cool but I don't believe I've done that good of a job. No one has ever heard of a VW running cool and I just don't believe it. Where do you have yours and what numbers were you seeing? Sorry about your latest troubles by the way, amazing job getting it on the ground! Hopefully you're back up in the air soon!

Thanks guys, I definitely plan to head South when I've got it all sorted out!

Jay Scheevel

Hey Vern,

There’s some really big hills between Brent (in Calgary) and Arlington. 😊

[...]

quickieq2uk

Hi Brent,

It’s been a long time since I put my VGs on or even flew my aircraft. But your VGs look to be way too far aft to be doing anything useful. Most aircraft have their VGs installed 8-12% of the chord back from the leading edge however this is too far forward for the GU-25 airfoil. Most people seem to put them at 40-50% of the chord aft of the leading edge. I think mine are at around 40 something percent from memory, I think the point of maximum curvature of the upper surface is about that percentage of chord aft.

Regards,

Simon Wilson
Q2
United Kingdom

On 30 Sep 2021, at 15:53, Brent Sherstan <brent.sherstan@...> wrote:

[...]

I think that Corbin’s VG’s are properly located for the GU (lateral spacing is also important). He can measure them for you, or perhaps Martin Skiby has those measurements.

[...]

That would be great. I agree that mine are way too far aft to be doing much of anything.

Brent

One Sky Dog

On my Dragonfly GU canard flight tested 50% chord pairs 1.5” spaced 4” between pairs. No effect on top speed but eliminates the separation bubble that forms ahead of the elevator hinge line. No more puddles of standing water in rain and pitch change.

Works for me!

On Thursday, September 30, 2021, 8:24 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Corbin

Yep, I would be glad to measure mine the next time I am out at that hangar.  That should be Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Corbin

--

Corbin
N121CG

smeshno1@...

IFR.. I follow roads. I agree tho..them hills have pointy rocks on top of them too!  Airplane eaters!

 I-90 East of Seattle is more than one type of freeway..the aircraft fly the same rules as ground machines (but no stop lights or stop signs).  Abbotsford gets a lot of traffic to and from, and there are a lot of Maple Leaf symbols on the aircraft in Arlington every year. Half of BC is shopping at the Tulalip Factory Outlet each weekend. Sales tax is quite a bit lower in the States.

 I've not flown to the border, so it an experience I've not done as a pilot. Last time I was in that area I did fly quite a bit from Paine Field and some from Arlington..but since I am VFR rated only, the time I could do so was limited. It was difficult to keep my rental agreement current for hours each month.  Being M.E. Lead for Cargo sections on 747-8 program also ment I spent a lot of time flying a desk!!!

  Agent tells me my next gig there likely starts on the 8th of October. Have not been told yet what exactly we are being tasked to do but I already know the loads will be high. The Frankenbird and Capella are both safe in the temp storage unit. I moved them last week. While in Washington State I have a very well trusted construction Contactor who will complete my Hanger/Shop.  Over the holidays I should be back to Oklahoma and can return both projects into their respective places in the Shop.  48'X20'

There’s some really big hills between Brent (in Calgary) and Arlington. 😊

Howdy Brent.. So when the time comes your travelling in the Q and if you happen to attend Arlington EAA when I am there (I expect to be in that area soon on an aviation job) I'll treat you to a decent meal and you'll have a local to assist in your visit. EAA

Arlington is on my list to attend when I am in the area.

 Vern Lehman

Mannford Oklahoma (my home base)

Jay Scheevel

Jealous of you large shop (to be), Vern.

There’s some really big hills between Brent (in Calgary) and Arlington. 😊

Howdy Brent.. So when the time comes your travelling in the Q and if you happen to attend Arlington EAA when I am there (I expect to be in that area soon on an aviation job) I'll treat you to a decent meal and you'll have a local to assist in your visit. EAA

Arlington is on my list to attend when I am in the area.

 Vern Lehman

Mannford Oklahoma (my home base)

Bruce Crain

Brent perhaps the last guy to fly it was experimenting with the VG's?  You might put tuft of yarn on the surface of the canard (nothing on the leading edge tho) and also the elevator.  When I fly my TriQ200 the elevator has the tufts doing some strange things in cruise and stall (like moving straight inboard).  Maybe the last guy put the VG's aft to keep the elevator streams moving aft at all times..  That would give the elevator more authority past stall and perhaps more lift at all other flight attitudes.  If you have access to a Go Pro camera you could get some pictures of all flight attitudes to see just how your particular flight surfaces are reacting.
I have thought of putting gates in front of the elevators and maybe on the elevators to make the airflow move more straight aft than inboard but have not done it yet.  And yes "excuses are like belly buttons,,,everybody has one.  So maybe I get "a round tuit" someday.
Bruce Crain

[...]

That’s a great idea Bruce. Before I move the VGs it would be good to experiment and have some before and after footage.

Brent

Jay Scheevel

Not to throw too many flies into the ointment, but a separation bubble is a feature of any airfoil flying at a non-zero angle of attack. This document demonstrates that the separation bubble climbs up the top surface of the LS-1 airfoil as it reduces speed and increases angle of attack. Here are snaps from Reg Clarke’s Q200, that I have added the boundary of the separation bubble in a dashed red curve.