From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Crain
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:47 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Cowl Exit

Something every day Richard. Even if you just tidy up or move tools around. It keeps you moving ahead.
On Mar 31, 2020, at 3:39 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

Thanks Bruce, now I see, only problem is I need to make a new gear leg fairing first .

More isolationist activities to do.

Rich T

On 30/03/2020 22:05, Bruce Crain wrote:
Here is a good picture of how I mounted the red baffling material.

Airventure is only 4 months away! Makes for a great reason to work hard and get em dome! Also Spring Fling and Field Of Dreams are two other great “get away” parties!

Bruce Crain

One Sky Dog

Hardened steel and ductile toughness are mutually exclusive.

On Mar 31, 2020, at 11:08 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I keep finding ways to increase my time spare spent working on my plane.

For example, I thought I would give everything under the cowl a good going over last weekend, then go fly. I tightened up a bunch of hose clamps (got lots of those), checked my throttle linkage and magneto connections, saw an o-ring that had worked its way out on the starter housing, so pushed that back in place and tightened the AN-3 housing bolts down on that...SNAP... twisted one bolt off!. Got the EZ-out kit out (why do they call them that anyway?). drilled a very small hole in the 3/16" chunk left in the hole housing....(of course they used a thread locker on that)... worked the EZ-out into the hole and gently twist to remove the remaining bolt...SNAP!...broke off the EZ-out, removed the starter housing from the engine, and took it home to my shop with some diamond mills and milled out the EZ-out and most of the bolt end, started chasing the threads with a tap, twisting the tap by hand...SNAP!...twisted off the tap, more diamond milling, finally, got a workable hole, bought another tap, drilled out the hole, successfully tapped a new hole, put the starter back together. Mission successful...wasted 3 days of Coronavirus isolation time, just getting back to where I was last Saturday.

Sorry no flight report, but a cautionary tale that when using those hardened steel tools: they flex a little, but they snap off easier than you think they will and the consequences get worse each time they do.

Something every day Richard.  Even if you just tidy up or move tools around.  It keeps you moving ahead.
On Mar 31, 2020, at 3:39 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

Thanks Bruce,  now I see, only problem is I need to make a new gear leg fairing first .

More isolationist activities to do.

Rich T

On 30/03/2020 22:05, Bruce Crain wrote:
Here is a good picture of how I mounted the red baffling material.

Airventure is only 4 months away!  Makes for a great reason to work hard and get em dome!  Also Spring Fling and Field Of Dreams are two other great “get away” parties!

Whoa! But you hung in there like a bulldog! Spring time in the Rockies! The best flying weather is right around the corner!

On Mar 31, 2020, at 1:08 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Guess I kind of knew that before, but hoping you can get the job done makes you forget some of what you already know.

Something every day Richard.  Even if you just tidy up or move tools around.  It keeps you moving ahead.

On Mar 31, 2020, at 3:39 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

Thanks Bruce,  now I see, only problem is I need to make a new gear leg fairing first .

More isolationist activities to do.

Rich T

On 30/03/2020 22:05, Bruce Crain wrote:

Here is a good picture of how I mounted the red baffling material.

Airventure is only 4 months away!  Makes for a great reason to work hard and get em dome!  Also Spring Fling and Field Of Dreams are two other great “get away” parties!

Bruce Crain

Mike Dwyer

I hate that snap sound!  I might have tried some heat on it...  Sounds like you had fun with it tho...
My non-flight report.  Our International Airport is down to one partial runway as they re-pave the intersection.  This has caused huge traffic jams with the commercial airliners and C130's and everyone on one taxiway.  I just haven't been wanting to mix it up with them.  But due to the virus it looks like most of the commercial airliners are now parked!  I saw 8 737's just sitting there today.  Maybe I got to go give flight a try again!  Crazy world.
Mike Dwyer Q200 N3QP
YouTube Videos: https://goo.gl/yKEHfK
Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:08 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
I keep finding ways to increase my time spare spent working on my plane.

For example, I thought I would give everything under the cowl a good going over last weekend, then go fly. I tightened up a bunch of hose clamps (got lots of those), checked my throttle linkage and magneto connections, saw an o-ring that had worked its way out on the starter housing, so pushed that back in place and tightened the AN-3 housing bolts down on that...SNAP... twisted one bolt off!. Got the EZ-out kit out (why do they call them that anyway?). drilled a very small hole in the 3/16" chunk left in the hole housing....(of course they used a thread locker on that)... worked the EZ-out into the hole and gently twist to remove the remaining bolt...SNAP!...broke off the EZ-out, removed the starter housing from the engine, and took it home to my shop with some diamond mills and milled out the EZ-out and most of the bolt end, started chasing the threads with a tap, twisting the tap by hand...SNAP!...twisted off the tap, more diamond milling, finally, got a workable hole, bought another tap, drilled out the hole, successfully tapped a new hole, put the starter back together. Mission successful...wasted 3 days of Coronavirus isolation time, just getting back to where I was last Saturday.

Sorry no flight report, but a cautionary tale that when using those hardened steel tools: they flex a little, but they snap off easier than you think they will and the consequences get worse each time they do.

Something every day Richard.  Even if you just tidy up or move tools around.  It keeps you moving ahead.
> On Mar 31, 2020, at 3:39 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Bruce,  now I see, only problem is I need to make a new gear leg fairing first .
>
> More isolationist activities to do.
>
> Rich T
>

>> On 30/03/2020 22:05, Bruce Crain wrote:
>> Here is a good picture of how I mounted the red baffling material.
>>
>> Airventure is only 4 months away!  Makes for a great reason to work hard and get em dome!  Also Spring Fling and Field Of Dreams are two other great “get away” parties!
>>
>> Bruce Crain

Jerry Gmail

I thought I was the only one with this kind of luck.
Jerry

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020, 2:08 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
I keep finding ways to increase my time spare spent working on my plane.

For example, I thought I would give everything under the cowl a good going over last weekend, then go fly. I tightened up a bunch of hose clamps (got lots of those), checked my throttle linkage and magneto connections, saw an o-ring that had worked its way out on the starter housing, so pushed that back in place and tightened the AN-3 housing bolts down on that...SNAP... twisted one bolt off!. Got the EZ-out kit out (why do they call them that anyway?). drilled a very small hole in the 3/16" chunk left in the hole housing....(of course they used a thread locker on that)... worked the EZ-out into the hole and gently twist to remove the remaining bolt...SNAP!...broke off the EZ-out, removed the starter housing from the engine, and took it home to my shop with some diamond mills and milled out the EZ-out and most of the bolt end, started chasing the threads with a tap, twisting the tap by hand...SNAP!...twisted off the tap, more diamond milling, finally, got a workable hole, bought another tap, drilled out the hole, successfully tapped a new hole, put the starter back together. Mission successful...wasted 3 days of Coronavirus isolation time, just getting back to where I was last Saturday.

Sorry no flight report, but a cautionary tale that when using those hardened steel tools: they flex a little, but they snap off easier than you think they will and the consequences get worse each time they do.

Something every day Richard.  Even if you just tidy up or move tools around.  It keeps you moving ahead.
> On Mar 31, 2020, at 3:39 AM, Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Bruce,  now I see, only problem is I need to make a new gear leg fairing first .
>
> More isolationist activities to do.
>
> Rich T
>

>> On 30/03/2020 22:05, Bruce Crain wrote:
>> Here is a good picture of how I mounted the red baffling material.
>>
>> Airventure is only 4 months away!  Makes for a great reason to work hard and get em dome!  Also Spring Fling and Field Of Dreams are two other great “get away” parties!
>>
>> Bruce Crain

John Hartley

On my cellphone, I have that bolt "snap" sound for text messages from my ex wife. Both sources mean the same thing - trouble has arrived and more bad times are ahead.