From: James Patillo <patillo@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2000 11:12 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Oil coolers @ other things!

Q GROUP,

I installed a Positech oil filter (from Van's Aircraft for their 0320's)
in line with my El Reno filter last week and it really helped. The
temperature today was at close to 100F and steady climbs could never get the
oil temp over 215 degrees F. Before installing the cooler my temps would
have easily been hovering around 240 all the time. It is a little labor
intensive but well worth the time.

On a side note. Today when I went flying at close to 100 degrees, the
strangest thing happened. I taxied to the runup area and did a complete
runup. Took off and at about 50' the engine went from 2600 RPM's to 1800
RPM's and ran rough! Makes ones butt pucker! I pulled the carb heat and
nothing happened. Pulled the throttle and repowered and got about 2200 RPM.
Did it once again and it went to full power. Of course I was completely out
of runway at that point. Made a standard pattern return and full power down
the runway at about 50'. No problems so I went up to 6,000' and flew around
for about an hour with no other engine runnig rough problems.

Back ground! I have a gascolator which is shielded with forced air blowing
on it. Went back to hangar and looked at all filters in cluding the small
one in the carb, did a fuel flow at 24 gallons at the carb, checked the vent
line and came up with nothing. Has any one else experienced this! Besides
being a little disconcerting I am still in the dark as to what could have
happened but I don't want to do it again. Any suggestions.

Jim Patillo Q200 N46JP

Sam Hoskins <shoskins@...>

Ditto for me on the fuel cap. I had the same thing happen to me. Make sure
that your cap is sealed. It does not need a vent hole, either. Venting is
supplied by the ram air to the header tank.

If you are using the factory supplied plastic bottle, throw it away and figure
out a better way, before your next flight.

Sam

Mike Dwyer wrote:

I fly at near 100F all the time. No gascolator tho. I did have my fuel cap
crack once and the engine would loose power at full settings and come back
when I reduced power. Figured the ram air was needed for me to get full
fuel flow (1/4" lines) wonder if that happened to you. I think the fuel cap
is in a low pressure area.

Mike, Q-200

[...]

Jim,
If you have the Electro-air electronic ignition and the pickup is on the
front prop flange I would strongly suggest that you shield the pickup
where it plugs together on top of the engine. It is shielded in the
wiring but not at the plug in set up. Also separating the plug wiring is
important but only where the 2 different "towers" wiring crosses one
another. Jeff suggests a specific spark plug that's different from when
he 1st started marketing his ignition. Bob Malecek and I both had to
"tweek" our electronic ignitions because they would suddenly run rough
and loose rpm for a short time and we thought we were having "other
problems". I found some screen door screen and used it for shielding the
pickup plug. Haven't had a problem since. If you don't have an
electronic ignition I have "shot my wad" for nothing. Let me and the Q
list know so the info gets passed on.

Bruce Crain

P.S.- If you can find a way to check the ignition switch to see if moving
or jiggling it causes it to run rough it might help.
On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 20:12:45 -0700 "James Patillo" <patillo@...>
writes:
[...]

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Archer Family <blues@...>

Just guessing here of course, but I'm guessing maybe the plane had been
sitting in the sun (soaking a little heat, fuel a little warm), you did your
runup (really getting warm under the cowl now) you pull back to idle for a
short time (taxi to position, very little airflow over those nice warm
jugs), fuel starts percolating somewhere in the line under the cowl, as you
advance the throttle on a full bowl of fuel in the carb. Meanwhile she's
running fine for a short while on that fuel in the carb. Then she starts
getting lean because of the vapor lock and the fuel level is getting low in
the carb. Maybe a little fuel starts to flow as the airflow begins cooling
the line back down a bit. Closing the throttle and then hitting it again
would work the accelerator pump which should still pump if there is any fuel
left in the bowl. If you have a primer installed you may could have tried
it and if the lock were upstream from the gascolator where your primer
probably picks up fuel then you may have gotten surges with the primer
action. Auto fuel may have a lower vapor pressure and thus more prone to
vapor lock as well. Pressurizing the fuel line some way (boost pump on take
off) may also help alleviate any vapor lock tendencies. Again, just an
idea, hope you solve it. Bill Archer

[...]

James Patillo <patillo@...>

Bruce,

I have mags only at this point. So recollect your wad!

I think I had a vapor lock. I have a standard Cessna gascolator that is on the right side of the plane about 1" from the oil tank and about 2" behind the exhaust on #3. It is shrouded with 32 thousands aluminum with a 1" forced air tube positioned on top blowing directly on the gascolator. The stainless braided (heat sleeve covered) fuel line runs directly horizontal between the carb and the oil tank, right elbow up 1" into the carb. The heat sleeve rests against the tank for about 9".

We had an airshow Saturday in Livermore and I flew the plane on my test area for about an hour around 10:30 AM with no problems. Returned to the ramp and talked with spectators for about 3 hours. The ambient temperature was about 95 degrees. About 1:30PM taxied directly to the runup area, ran up to 1800 RPM's mag check and carb check. Everything looked perfect. Had full power in runout to about 50' ALT (runway is about 5500') when the engine abruptly started shutting down. That was at 1/3 runway used. Pulled carb heat.......nothing.......Pulled and pushed throttle........nothing. 1/3 -1/2 down the runway......pulled and pushed throttle one more time before committing to something a little more ugly. All of a sudden, just as fast as it had quit, the damn thing shot to life again. Made a standard pattern go around and a 190 MPH pass down the runway. Whoopee! Flew out to the central valley with my friend and son in tow in his RV4 and never had another burp!

After reading the Archer Family e-mail I think I had a vapor lock. I am now removing the gascolator and will reroute the fuel line to the pilot's side through a firewall connection and a short run to the carb (of course with a heat shroud over the line). Hope this concept works because the little experience I've just described was less than fun. Other than that, It was a lovely day. Sorry I not able to be in Ottawa with the rest of you. Maybe next time.

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

P.S. Pupating does have something to do with Caterpillars!