OSH reports?

Jay Scheevel

Any reports on OSH for those unfortunates like myself who were unable to attend?

Cheers,

Jay

Kevin Boddicker

I was there. Had fun.

Kevin

On Aug 5, 2022, at 3:55 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Any reports on OSH for those unfortunates like myself who were unable to attend?

Cheers,
Jay

Paul Fisher

Me too, and so did I.

Paul 

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022, 09:32 Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:
I was there. Had fun.

Kevin

Cheers,
Jay

Jay Scheevel

Sounds like Las Vegas…What happens in Oshkosh stays in Oshkosh.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Boddicker
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 8:32 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] OSH reports?

I was there. Had fun.

Kevin

Cheers,

Jay

Sam Hoskins

I was there, had fun, caught COVID.

Sam

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022, 3:55 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Jay

Hi Jay,
Just now seeing your post. We spent a week further north in Door County after OSH and just got home.
I was there too and if you don’t mind I’ll type a little more.
To me it was evident from the beginning that this could be a record year….and it was. People everywhere….airplanes everywhere and the numbers prove it. The wx was perhaps the best I’ve ever experienced at AirVenture including 2019, thank goodness because it was the first time in 30 years Vicki went along too. We’re camping with our chapter in Scholler and the generators worked perfectly. Thanx Honda.
I was told the Friday evening showing of TopGun Maverick at the outdoor theater drew 10,000
and….at precisely 2000 hrs, a surprise I was fortunate to know about a few days earlier, an F35 and two F18’s buzzed the theater, right over our camp site WOW!!!
The Air Force must be commended for their contribution celebrating their 75th year. They flew the pants off the F35’s and F18’s all week. A KC135, C117, C5, Osprey, Apache, Blackhawk etc…(someone can fill in those I missed) were on static and even participated in the airshow at different times. Their Legacy and Heritage flights were very well done all week long with different combinations of aircraft. The crowds watching the afternoon airshows were huge all week. And plenty of venders were there to take your money as usual.
Fourteen…more or less came the Q gathering on Wednesday and we had plenty of free donuts. Yum yum! There is so much more that can be said, like Boddicker harassing me over needing a replacement wrist band, yep gasoline will melt the glue and he just happened to be working admissions at the time I was there begging and pleading for a new one. They were amused that there was in fact was no glue on it. (filling a generator can get sloppy don’t ya know) but better stop there. It was a great week, hate that you had to miss it.
Keith

---------- Original Message ----------
To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 16:40:35 -0600

Sounds like Las Vegas&#8230;What happens in Oshkosh stays in Oshkosh.

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Boddicker
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 8:32 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io

I was there. Had fun.

Kevin

Cheers,
Jay

Mike Bergen

Jay, good evening!

I was a great week and I agree that the WX couldn't be better! All the miserable stuff came through the week before. Perfect weather for sleeping at night except when it gets so cool in the evening the air mattress softens, sigh.

I missed the Q-Bird meeting as for some reason I thought that it was set for Thursday as in the past. And the pity is that I didn't have anything on the schedule for that day.

Great show and Keith is right that the military has a significant presences this year to even include an A-10 warthog and the newer Beech T-2 Texan.

Yes, the F-35 flew daily and the sad thing that the crowds don't know about is that it has significantly fallen short of the performance DoD goals. It has been reported that it costs the taxpayer $44K/hr of flying time. Test pilots have claimed that it is inferior to the F-15 in a mock dog fight with the same. The website thehill.com has an informative article on it, though I haven't vetted the info he sites.

The only tandem wing that I saw was a dragonfly out on the show line near the Homebuilders HQ.

Richard and I had a real good turn out for the two presentations we provided on composite techniques. We see so much bad info being passed around the internet with the Vans AF guys and we want to help them do the right thing.

I did fly the Bonanza out and entered the AirVenture Cup Race for the 2nd year. Headed to OSH after they clear the L-5 Bird-dog wreck. Eye witnesses say that he went around once because of X-winds for 36 but they brought him in again on 36 and it didn't end well. The beauty with the Bo is that I can do the Ripon-Fisk arrival procedure at 2300 feet and 135 kts. I only had one other bird in from of me at 17:00 on Sunday afternoon. Sweet! The ADS-B was screaming with all the aircraft passing under me.

Things got very exciting though when ATC called my base for 27 and I almost landed on top of a T-6. I was so stressed that I tried stopping on the brake pedals, but it didn't work, LOL. I quickly dove for the RWY numbers and no incident.

Keith mentioned the Air Force assets that flew but I was all a twitter when the navy "cats" flew one afternoon, as I was Department of Navy for 31 years, and I tend to lean that way. So there was a Hellcat, Bearcat, Wildcat and Tigercat.

It was a great show and I'll likely do it again next year!

Mike

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Mike and Keith,

I appreciate your OSH summaries and personal observations that you both sent. I hope to be there next year and experience it with all of the Q folks that come. Glad the weather worked out well this year.

Mike, I talked to a couple people back here that were in your forum and they said they really learned a lot and came back with some good information, so your efforts are appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible if the stars align and we all are able to make it to Decorah. Get ready, Kevin!

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Bergen
Sent: Sunday, August 7, 2022 6:23 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io; Keith Welsh <kw544@...>

Jay, good evening!

I was a great week and I agree that the WX couldn't be better! All the miserable stuff came through the week before. Perfect weather for sleeping at night except when it gets so cool in the evening the air mattress softens, sigh.

I missed the Q-Bird meeting as for some reason I thought that it was set for Thursday as in the past. And the pity is that I didn't have anything on the schedule for that day.

Great show and Keith is right that the military has a significant presences this year to even include an A-10 warthog and the newer Beech T-2 Texan.

Yes, the F-35 flew daily and the sad thing that the crowds don't know about is that it has significantly fallen short of the performance DoD goals. It has been reported that it costs the taxpayer $44K/hr of flying time. Test pilots have claimed that it is inferior to the F-15 in a mock dog fight with the same. The website thehill.com has an informative article on it, though I haven't vetted the info he sites.

The only tandem wing that I saw was a dragonfly out on the show line near the Homebuilders HQ.

Richard and I had a real good turn out for the two presentations we provided on composite techniques. We see so much bad info being passed around the internet with the Vans AF guys and we want to help them do the right thing.

I did fly the Bonanza out and entered the AirVenture Cup Race for the 2nd year. Headed to OSH after they clear the L-5 Bird-dog wreck. Eye witnesses say that he went around once because of X-winds for 36 but they brought him in again on 36 and it didn't end well. The beauty with the Bo is that I can do the Ripon-Fisk arrival procedure at 2300 feet and 135 kts. I only had one other bird in from of me at 17:00 on Sunday afternoon. Sweet! The ADS-B was screaming with all the aircraft passing under me.

Things got very exciting though when ATC called my base for 27 and I almost landed on top of a T-6. I was so stressed that I tried stopping on the brake pedals, but it didn't work, LOL. I quickly dove for the RWY numbers and no incident.

Keith mentioned the Air Force assets that flew but I was all a twitter when the navy "cats" flew one afternoon, as I was Department of Navy for 31 years, and I tend to lean that way. So there was a Hellcat, Bearcat, Wildcat and Tigercat.

It was a great show and I'll likely do it again next year!

Mike