Topics

Plans Shrinkage

@DustinG

Is there a reference length to confirm shrinkage of appendix W-6? The previous builder's templates are all consistently larger than what is drawn. Also, if I'm off just a little (airfoils are a hair over or under size) can the core be slid up or down the tapered carbon spar until it fits correctly? 

Or, should I work on other stuff and wait for the new airfoils to be published? 😁😀😁 

Dustin

Bruce Crain

I think Norm Howell May have over sized his cores and then sanded them down to size but that may be a rumor.  As for the ones that were to small perhaps the hot wire was to hot or was pulled along to slow. 
Just my 2 cents worth.
Bruce 

On Mar 31, 2020, at 2:39 PM, dustinlanell@... wrote:

Is there a reference length to confirm shrinkage of appendix W-6? The previous builder's templates are all consistently larger than what is drawn. Also, if I'm off just a little (airfoils are a hair over or under size) can the core be slid up or down the tapered carbon spar until it fits correctly? 

Or, should I work on other stuff and wait for the new airfoils to be published? 😁😀😁 
<WP_20200331_15_37_16_Pro.jpg>

Dustin

@DustinG

Thanks Bruce. I'll check. 
Dustin

Jay Scheevel

What kind of percentage difference are you finding, Dustin?  If it is not large, it is probably not worth worrying about. Just so the level lines are level.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of dustinlanell@...
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 6:30 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Plans Shrinkage

Thanks Bruce. I'll check. 
Dustin

@DustinG

Checked BL-0 and BL-100 and compared to plans. Both are 1.5% longer in length. That's 3/16" longer @C.L.  and 1/8" on the tip template. This measured from the front of spar to LE along the level line. The spar radius seems to match perfectly...even tried the templates on the spar at their respective places. They seem to fit.
Bruce, I haven't cut the cores yet. 

Dustin

Patrick Panzera

I just noticed the message title (plan shrinkage), so forgive me for butting in, especially if someone else has already offered to help, but I have a large format scanner, and if someone sent me a good "original" print and the proper dimensions, I could scan it and Photoshop it to be the correct size and convert it to a PDF for anyone to have printed locally and it would be as accurate as possible - maybe even as accurate as the draftsman intended.

Pat 

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 6:29 PM <dustinlanell@...> wrote:
Checked BL-0 and BL-100 and compared to plans. Both are 1.5% longer in length. That's 3/16" longer @C.L.  and 1/8" on the tip template. This measured from the front of spar to LE along the level line. The spar radius seems to match perfectly...even tried the templates on the spar at their respective places. They seem to fit.

Dustin

Jay Scheevel

My thinking is that amount of difference will be insignificant. The fact that it matches the spar is a plus. The difference will be even less because of a little melt back from the hot wire as Bruce mentioned.

Cheers,
Jay

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

dustinlanell@... wrote:

Dustin

@DustinG

Thanks all.
Pat, I had plan "B" of ordering a sheet from the quickheads website if I had to go that far. Thanks though for your generous offer.

Dustin