Q2 Brakes and wheel mounts

Mike Steinsland

Hi Guys
2 things on my mind today.
First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Not sure they fit in but I have used these on other planes including RV4 wheel pants ...

FOBO Bike 2 tire Pressure Monitoring System (Silver) – External Monitor, Bike tire, Temperature Sensor, Wireless, for Smart Bike, Motorcycle, ebike & Bicycle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWX4Z9T/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_JXXC8YCWMZWWRFNXHCP2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

I usually just look at it. A polished eye can tell if it is low. However, you will need a port for filling them, so I think that is a good idea to build something like that.

If you don’t like “eyeballing it”, like I do, here is something you can do to measure pressure without putting a gauge on the stem.

Based on the fact that the tire-contact-area (sq in) X tire-pressure (psi) must be equal the weight on the wheel, and you know the weight on the wheel from your W&B, you can put a piece of paper under the tire and at different tire pressures draw a pencil line on the paper around contact of the tire to the paper for each pressure. Label these outlines corresponding to each pressure (you just need to do this once). Then take this paper to a xerox and make a bunch of copies. When you want to check the pressure, just roll the wheel onto a fresh sheet and check the size of its “footprint”. That will tell you the pressure.

First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Sam Hoskins

Some guys have drill the hole to access the valve stem. I didn't do this. I simply drop the wheel twice a year to refill the air. It's not a big deal. I eyeball it on a pre-flight. If it looks low then I'll deal with it but really, just twice a year or so.

Sam

On Mon, May 23, 2022, 5:31 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
Hi Guys
2 things on my mind today.
First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Paul Fisher

I have a roughly once inch diameter hole to check/inflate the tires.  Those holes are completely useless on my plane - at least with the tubes that I use.  I can't get the cap off and an extension on through the hole.

I jack up the plane and pull the wheels out to check and fill the tires off the plane.  Not ideal, but it's doable.  YMMV.

Paul

On Mon, May 23, 2022, 17:31 Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
Hi Guys
2 things on my mind today.
First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Corbin

I have the holes drilled and it is a real pain to get down, shine a light, get the valve stem lined up, etc.

If you drill the holes, mark the tire so you more easily line it all up.  But I’m curious about Jay’s paper idea and may try it.

Corbin

On May 23, 2022, at 6:09 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

N121CG

Rick Hole

That is clever.  Does the amount of fuel change the footprint much?  I am guessing to do it with half to 3/4 fuel unless you always top off before flight.

Rick Hole

On Mon, May 23, 2022, 5:04 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay Scheevel

Think of it like this. The empty weight is probably 650 pounds, and the amount of fuel may vary +/- 60 pounds. Most of the weight is on the mains, so you will be accurate to plus or minus 10%. I’d say good-to-go 😉

First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Steinsland

I'm thinking one of these inflator / gauges wouldn't need much of a hole and could reach in.
R& R ing the cap may require a creative gizmo of some sort.

On Mon., May 23, 2022, 7:34 p.m. Jay Scheevel, <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

I have one like that, Mike. Tricky part is that the hose has to be exactly parallel with the stem to seal got pressure reading and filling. That is hard to do if you don’t have some wiggle room to line it up.

First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Dave Dugas

I have the same philosophy as Sam on the tire thing. I don't have a hole in my wheelpant either. I just see how they look during the preflight. Mine are inflated to 30 lbs. to start with. If they look good after 24 hours, they should be good for the season. Have fun at the Spring Fling. Planning on being at the FOD in the fall no matter what.... Dave D

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 7:49 PM, Jay Scheevel
<jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Here's the thing. On my wheels at least, the valve stem doesn't point straight out. In fact, when filling air on my bench I often have to wedge a screwdriver behind it so I can get the air hose on it. You might want to hold off on this until you have some hands-on experience with it, then you can decide if it's necessary or not.

Sam

<jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys
Seems like the juice might not be worth the squeeze on this one

<jay@...> wrote:

I have one like that, Mike. Tricky part is that the hose has to be exactly parallel with the stem to seal got pressure reading and filling. That is hard to do if you don’t have some wiggle room to line it up.

First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Jim Patillo

I have to do the same with those smaller tires, Sam. The brass innertube valve stem is at the wrong angle for the aluminum wheels we have. I thought is was just me.😬

The simplest way to deal with the low tire pressure issue is as others have said "Drop the wheel/tire and add air". Adding holes on the outside of the wheel pant is not the answer. If you keep a look out for the tire pressure, it's pretty obvious. I monitor the tire spread on the floor or ground.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

First.... I attached some pictures of the little saddles I epoxied above my axles to help line up the axles with the holes in the wheel pants.
It's a snap with the airplane upside down, probably have to use a small jack under the tire to hold it up when it's right side up.
No jiggling around any more.

Second....What are you doing to accommodate checking and filling the air in the tires.
I'm thinking of drilling a hole large enough on the outside of the wheel pant to get the gauge/ filler in.
Somewhere between 3 and 9 o'clock low. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mike

Michael Dunning

Can confirm that the large hole+Rube Goldberg valve stem extender(s) contraption is still a PITA for all the reasons mentioned above. I don't have enough room to roll the fwd fuselage around, so I end up jacking the wing up to get at the valve stem. By then, what's the point?!?

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Any of you use these? I do on my RV4 ...

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Corbin

I don’t use tire stem covers at all.   Like others, I rarely need to air them up/down and when I do I use the access hole to screw on an attachment to air up.  I  would not be able to unscrew a stem cover without raising up the wheel and possible even removing it.

Corbin

On May 25, 2022, at 12:00 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Any of you use these? I do on my RV4 ...

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Corbin
N121CG

Ben Wilson

Hi Corbin

Seems like correct answer to tire pressure.

Won’t even need Keith’s 22nd-century space-coveralls. 😊

Just kidding.

Ben

I don’t use tire stem covers at all.   Like others, I rarely need to air them up/down and when I do I use the access hole to screw on an attachment to air up.  I  would not be able to unscrew a stem cover without raising up the wheel and possible even removing it.

Corbin

On May 25, 2022, at 12:00 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Any of you use these? I do on my RV4 ...

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Corbin
N121CG

Jay Scheevel

Hey Corbin,

When you are you going to have yours with the upgraded avionics and panel up flying again?