Topics

Q2 Outboard Hinge Pins

Jon Finley <finley@...>

Hi all,

I just performed the condition inspection on my Q2 and found the following
items. Once again, Thanks to Sam for the great checklist!

All outboard hinge pin bushings were corroded (not terrible but noticeable).
All but one appeared to be stuck to the hinge pin and instead of rotating on
the hinge pin were rotating in the mounting bore. All were cleaned up,
bushings secured in bore using lock-tite, and greased. Question: The
outboard elevator hinge pins are 1/4" bolts (not sure if this is standard as
I could not find reference to sizes in the plans - only part numbers). I
cannot find this size bushing in either AS&S or Small Parts. Were these
bushings machined from a bushing with a smaller ID??

There was some slight corrosion in the aileron torque tubes between the
aluminum bushings. I cleaned and primed them. Is there a better method to
prevent corrosion?

Thanks!

Jon Finley
Q1 N54JF - 1835cc VW
Q2 N90MG - Subaru EA-81 DD Turbo
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html

Robert M. Farnam <bfarnam@...>

Jon Finley wrote:

There was some slight corrosion in the aileron torque tubes between the
aluminum bushings. I cleaned and primed them. Is there a better method to
prevent corrosion?

Thanks!

Jon Finley
Q1 N54JF - 1835cc VW
Q2 N90MG - Subaru EA-81 DD Turbo
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html
Jon,

You might try relocating the bird to California or Arizona.

I had my steel axles electroless nickel plated to about 0.0005 thick. I didn't
want to build up too much thickness because of bearing fit. We use that in
industrial machines all the time - works great. On most of my aluminum torque
tubes, I used primer.

Bob F.

BD5ER@...

Electroless nickel is really good stuff for corrosion protection,
lubrication, and wear resistance. You can put is on almost any kind of metal
(you don't have to worry about hydrogen embritlement like you do with
standard plating) and even some plastics. Another advantage is that the part
is plated with a uniform thickness on all exposed surfaces so you can plate
even very close tolerance parts. If you don't have a place close by that can
do it you can also buy small quantities of the stuff and do it your self. If
you bake it in your oven after the part has been plated at around 350 - 450
(I don't have the specs around right now) you get a really hard slick
surface. I like to plate most of the internals in my firearms with it. The
only real draw back to the stuff is that it is rather expensive. The local
place here charges $.30/square in./thousandth of thickness but they have all
of the business from the oilfield that they can handle and don't like small
jobs.
Just don't try to glue anything to it - won't stick. I had already
thought about plating most of the exposed parts of my Q with it after reading
of the corrosion found on one that had been left outside for several years.
After reading Finley's post I will plate everything exposed that I don't PAA
treat.

In a message dated 9/5/00 6:28:07 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
bfarnam@... writes:

<<
I had my steel axles electroless nickel plated to about 0.0005 thick. I
didn't
want to build up too much thickness because of bearing fit. We use that in
industrial machines all the time - works great. On most of my aluminum torque
tubes, I used primer.

Bob F. >>

"Think outside the box - but fly in the envelope"
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bd5er/Qpage.html">Q-2 page</A>
Leon McAtee

L.J. French <LFrench@...>

BD5ER:
You mention being able to do it yourself, do you know a source where this
stuff can be purchased?
Thanks
Lynn

[...]
bfarnam@... writes:

<<
I had my steel axles electroless nickel plated to about 0.0005 thick. I
didn't
want to build up too much thickness because of bearing fit. We use that
in
industrial machines all the time - works great. On most of my aluminum
torque
tubes, I used primer.

Bob F. >>

BD5ER@...

This is the only place that I know right off. <A
HREF="http://www.brownells.com/">Guns, firearms and shooters supplies
@Brownells.com - Brownells, where gunsmiths and shooting enthusiasts come to
shop for g</A> I have run across some others while doing research on
anodizing. A web search might turn up some others. Someday I'm going to
have to study up on exactly what makes this process tick.

In a message dated 9/6/00 1:54:36 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
LFrench@... writes:

<< BD5ER:
You mention being able to do it yourself, do you know a source where this
stuff can be purchased?
Thanks
Lynn

"Think outside the box - but fly in the envelope"
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bd5er/Qpage.html">Q-2 page</A>
Leon McAtee

jtenhave@mets.mq.edu.au <jtenhave@...>

Jon,

If you are talking about aluminium corrosion, alodine is simple, effective and
the perfect preparation for a zinc primer. If you are talking steel, get them
cad plated. Make sure that the plater post-treats the part to prevent hydrogen
embrittlement.

Failing that, zinc plating and passivation will also help - you do not have the
embrittlement worry with zinc and the tree huggers are happier.....

regards

John