Q2 Revmaster original exhaust?

Troy Zawlacki

Q listers,

I am relatively new to the Q list, but I have been building my Q2 for several months now. Im based out of San Jose, CA with kit #2436. The Revmaster 2100 I have for the plane came out of a KR2, and therefore the exhaust was totally wrong for the Q2 cowling. Revmaster wants $800 for a new one, so I am going to make my own instead… unless someone knows of an original floating around somewhere.

Best,
TAZ

britmcman99

If you can manage fabrication then go for it, but $800.00 is fair and it will be new and to Revmaster specification. I recently paid over $1000.00 for a Vetterman exhaust system for an experimental Lycoming O-320 and happy to have a proper set-up.

Phil Lankford

On Dec 30, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@gmail.com> wrote:

Q listers,

I am relatively new to the Q list, but I have been building my Q2 for several months now. Im based out of San Jose, CA with kit #2436. The Revmaster 2100 I have for the plane came out of a KR2, and therefore the exhaust was totally wrong for the Q2 cowling. Revmaster wants $800 for a new one, so I am going to make my own instead… unless someone knows of an original floating around somewhere.

Best,
TAZ

britmcman99

Would you build in carbon or stainless steel, and which alloy?

Regardless of whether you buy or build your own exhaust system, be prepared to check for cracks. An exhaust system crack could potentially lead to CO poisoning in the cabin

Vetterman, who supplies exhaust systems, warns against wrapping their Stainless exhaust systems with heat tape.

Phil Lankford

On Dec 30, 2021, at 8:43 PM, Phil Lankford via groups.io <britmcman=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

If you can manage fabrication then go for it, but $800.00 is fair and it will be new and to Revmaster specification. I recently paid over $1000.00 for a Vetterman exhaust system for an experimental Lycoming O-320 and happy to have a proper set-up.

Phil Lankford

On Dec 30, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@gmail.com> wrote:

Q listers,

I am relatively new to the Q list, but I have been building my Q2 for several months now. Im based out of San Jose, CA with kit #2436. The Revmaster 2100 I have for the plane came out of a KR2, and therefore the exhaust was totally wrong for the Q2 cowling. Revmaster wants $800 for a new one, so I am going to make my own instead… unless someone knows of an original floating around somewhere.

Best,
TAZ

Robert Cringely

I just replaced a home built 4-pipe system on my O-320 T-18 with the “new” Vetterman small pipe RV-6 exhaust and I couldn’t build it myself for that price. There’s all that cutting and fitting you don’t have to do, plus they’ve built hundreds of exhausts and we haven’t.

If the Revmaster exhaust is stainless and comes with a warranty, pay the money and find something else to worry about.

Bob

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 4:38 PM Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:
Q listers,

I am relatively new to the Q list, but I have been building my Q2 for several months now. Im based out of San Jose, CA with kit #2436. The Revmaster 2100 I have for the plane came out of a KR2, and therefore the exhaust was totally wrong for the Q2 cowling. Revmaster wants $800 for a new one, so I am going to make my own instead… unless someone knows of an original floating around somewhere.

Best,
TAZ

Troy Zawlacki

I was thinking carbon steel and ceramic coated. I have a lot of experience TIG welding but the actual pipe routing of the Q2 is pretty complicated inside the cowling which is why I want to buy one if available. I’d make one in a heartbeat before spending $1000 though, all the pennies add up!

But not to worry, the Q list is at work and I already got a private message from someone with an original exhaust for sale. I’m interested to see what it will take to get this exhaust either ceramic coated or nickel plated.

Thanks all,
TAZ

On Dec 30, 2021, at 9:17 PM, Phil Lankford via groups.io <britmcman=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Mike Dwyer

http://www.pielandings.com/q200/pipes.html
Works for me.
Mike Dwyer Q200

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021, 12:17 AM Phil Lankford via groups.io <britmcman=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Would you build in carbon or stainless steel, and which alloy?

Regardless of whether you buy or build your own exhaust system, be prepared to check for cracks.  An exhaust system crack could potentially lead to CO poisoning in the cabin

Vetterman, who supplies exhaust systems, warns against wrapping their Stainless exhaust systems with heat tape.

Phil Lankford

> On Dec 30, 2021, at 8:43 PM, Phil Lankford via groups.io <britmcman=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> If you can manage fabrication then go for it, but $800.00 is fair and it will be new and to Revmaster specification. I recently paid over $1000.00 for a Vetterman exhaust system for an experimental Lycoming O-320 and happy to have a proper set-up.
>
> Phil Lankford
>
>> On Dec 30, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:
>>
>> Q listers,
>>
>> I am relatively new to the Q list, but I have been building my Q2 for several months now. Im based out of San Jose, CA with kit #2436. The Revmaster 2100 I have for the plane came out of a KR2, and therefore the exhaust was totally wrong for the Q2 cowling. Revmaster wants $800 for a new one, so I am going to make my own instead… unless someone knows of an original floating around somewhere.
>>
>> Best,
>> TAZ

Michael Dunning

+1 to Mike Dwyer's advice. When my stock Revmaster exhaust (inevitably) rusts out, I'm planning to follow his lead as best as possible. My guess is that it will end up looking something like the Kitfox or Dragonfly exhaust systems that Great Plains offers:

https://www.greatplainsas.com/0292-/-kit-fox-avid-flyer-exhaust.aspx
https://www.greatplainsas.com/0290-/-dragonfly-exhaust.aspx

While 304 Stainless is clearly preferred, going DIY with carbon steel gives me an excuse to buy a welder 😁
--
-MD

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael Dunning

Thanks for the tip, Bruce. Always good to have options.
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)