Q2 Revmaster P Leads


Kris
 

My 40 year old Q2 garage queen (not a hangar queen yet...) is ready to have it's spiffy recently rebuilt/upgraded Revmaster bolted onto the firewall so that I can fit all of the accessories etc. (YES, I've had this project since 1981 when I purchased the original kit from Stubbs Aero Products (Fred Stubbs) who received it via LeGare, NO, it's not done yet, YES, I plan to finish it...)

The motor's been attached before, but never with P Leads connected - I just received a marvelous pair of finely crafted round nut P leads from Bogert aviation built specifically for the Bendix D2000/3000 mags. QUESTION: there only seems to be a tad more than 3/8" clearance between the Bendix terminal posts and the rear face of the mag box in the firewall. The mag box was built according to the original plans and was installed around 20-25 years ago. The Bogert leads are relatively thin and flexible, but I fear - not THAT flexible, they'd get scrunched if I put this together as is. Richard Bogert isn't familiar with the Q birds, his comment (via email) was that that was a little too tight of a radius, not because of the shielded wire, rather, he's afraid that the solder joint at the ferrule would be compromised.

This cannot possibly be a 'new problem' that only I have seen. (!) Have any of you old school Q2/Revmaster artists 'been there' & 'done that' and fixed this issue a very long time ago? It's looking to me like the obvious answer is to do some cutting and remodelling of the rear face of the magneto box.

Kris


Dave Dugas
 

Kris
I'll have a look at mine and let you know what I find, now that I have the engine removed. I know it's a close fit and I haven't had any problem. I will let you know.  Dave D


On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 11:54 PM, Kris
<kristjanson.browne@...> wrote:
My 40 year old Q2 garage queen (not a hangar queen yet...) is ready to have it's spiffy recently rebuilt/upgraded Revmaster bolted onto the firewall so that I can fit all of the accessories etc. (YES, I've had this project since 1981 when I purchased the original kit from Stubbs Aero Products (Fred Stubbs) who received it via LeGare, NO, it's not done yet, YES, I plan to finish it...)

The motor's been attached before, but never with P Leads connected - I just received a marvelous pair of finely crafted round nut P leads from Bogert aviation built specifically for the Bendix D2000/3000 mags. QUESTION: there only seems to be a tad more than 3/8" clearance between the Bendix terminal posts and the rear face of the mag box in the firewall. The mag box was built according to the original plans and was installed around 20-25 years ago. The Bogert leads are relatively thin and flexible, but I fear - not THAT flexible, they'd get scrunched if I put this together as is. Richard Bogert isn't familiar with the Q birds, his comment (via email) was that that was a little too tight of a radius, not because of the shielded wire, rather, he's afraid that the solder joint at the ferrule would be compromised.

This cannot possibly be a 'new problem' that only I have seen. (!) Have any of you old school Q2/Revmaster artists 'been there' & 'done that' and fixed this issue a very long time ago? It's looking to me like the obvious answer is to do some cutting and remodelling of the rear face of the magneto box.

Kris


Anthony P
 

Mine started out 5.5" deep and was modified to 6.5" deep.  
Not pretty, but got the job done I guess.




Kris
 

Ouch. Looks like I need to put the thinking cap on and get crafty back there... more unexpected farting around... thanks for the info.


Mike Steinsland
 

Glad I'm reading this now


On Mon., Nov. 8, 2021, 11:04 a.m. Kris, <kristjanson.browne@...> wrote:
Ouch. Looks like I need to put the thinking cap on and get crafty back there... more unexpected farting around... thanks for the info.


Anthony P
 

My ship is just one input. I would not do anything until others add their experience.

I'm sure there are better and easier ways to provide the necessary clearance.

Dave can give some input, and the Q-Tour this weekend might be a good opportunity for questions/discussion on this matter.


Kris
 

Absolutely. It's been 'awhile' getting to this point, I think I can wait/ponder another couple of days to tap some of the group wisdom...


On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 12:47, Anthony P <solarant@...> wrote:
My ship is just one input. I would not do anything until others add their experience.

I'm sure there are better and easier ways to provide the necessary clearance.

Dave can give some input, and the Q-Tour this weekend might be a good opportunity for questions/discussion on this matter.


Dave Dugas
 

I measured the depth of the firewall cutout...6.25".  I have a measurement of 8" from the back of the cutout to the face of the engine mount. The P-leads fit in with a gentle bend. I'll attach photos. 
Dave D







On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 9:58 AM, Dave Dugas
<davedq2@...> wrote:
Kris
I'll have a look at mine and let you know what I find, now that I have the engine removed. I know it's a close fit and I haven't had any problem. I will let you know.  Dave D


On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 11:54 PM, Kris
<kristjanson.browne@...> wrote:
My 40 year old Q2 garage queen (not a hangar queen yet...) is ready to have it's spiffy recently rebuilt/upgraded Revmaster bolted onto the firewall so that I can fit all of the accessories etc. (YES, I've had this project since 1981 when I purchased the original kit from Stubbs Aero Products (Fred Stubbs) who received it via LeGare, NO, it's not done yet, YES, I plan to finish it...)

The motor's been attached before, but never with P Leads connected - I just received a marvelous pair of finely crafted round nut P leads from Bogert aviation built specifically for the Bendix D2000/3000 mags. QUESTION: there only seems to be a tad more than 3/8" clearance between the Bendix terminal posts and the rear face of the mag box in the firewall. The mag box was built according to the original plans and was installed around 20-25 years ago. The Bogert leads are relatively thin and flexible, but I fear - not THAT flexible, they'd get scrunched if I put this together as is. Richard Bogert isn't familiar with the Q birds, his comment (via email) was that that was a little too tight of a radius, not because of the shielded wire, rather, he's afraid that the solder joint at the ferrule would be compromised.

This cannot possibly be a 'new problem' that only I have seen. (!) Have any of you old school Q2/Revmaster artists 'been there' & 'done that' and fixed this issue a very long time ago? It's looking to me like the obvious answer is to do some cutting and remodelling of the rear face of the magneto box.

Kris


Kris
 

Thanks Dave. I'm 5.75" in the cut-out and 7.625" to the engine mount face, this would explain why I'm so tight. Page 16-1 of my old plans shows a sketch with 5.7" marked on it, the text says "It has the inside dimensions shown. These dimensions are rather critical, so follow them closely" - the word 'inside' is underlined. GRRRR! - I guess that's what I get for diligently following plans... I'm gonna ruminate on it for a couple of days, maybe see a few other comments and then choose 'the path of least resistance' to rectify my situation. We'll get there. And then we'll have a party. *lol*

Kris

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021, 7:55 PM Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I measured the depth of the firewall cutout...6.25".  I have a measurement of 8" from the back of the cutout to the face of the engine mount. The P-leads fit in with a gentle bend. I'll attach photos. 
Dave D







On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 9:58 AM, Dave Dugas
<davedq2@...> wrote:
Kris
I'll have a look at mine and let you know what I find, now that I have the engine removed. I know it's a close fit and I haven't had any problem. I will let you know.  Dave D


On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 11:54 PM, Kris
My 40 year old Q2 garage queen (not a hangar queen yet...) is ready to have it's spiffy recently rebuilt/upgraded Revmaster bolted onto the firewall so that I can fit all of the accessories etc. (YES, I've had this project since 1981 when I purchased the original kit from Stubbs Aero Products (Fred Stubbs) who received it via LeGare, NO, it's not done yet, YES, I plan to finish it...)

The motor's been attached before, but never with P Leads connected - I just received a marvelous pair of finely crafted round nut P leads from Bogert aviation built specifically for the Bendix D2000/3000 mags. QUESTION: there only seems to be a tad more than 3/8" clearance between the Bendix terminal posts and the rear face of the mag box in the firewall. The mag box was built according to the original plans and was installed around 20-25 years ago. The Bogert leads are relatively thin and flexible, but I fear - not THAT flexible, they'd get scrunched if I put this together as is. Richard Bogert isn't familiar with the Q birds, his comment (via email) was that that was a little too tight of a radius, not because of the shielded wire, rather, he's afraid that the solder joint at the ferrule would be compromised.

This cannot possibly be a 'new problem' that only I have seen. (!) Have any of you old school Q2/Revmaster artists 'been there' & 'done that' and fixed this issue a very long time ago? It's looking to me like the obvious answer is to do some cutting and remodelling of the rear face of the magneto box.

Kris