Quickie Q1 Canard and wing foam cut

Eugen Pilarski

Dear Q-Team,

in the next step I would like to cut out the canard and wing units based on the blue foam.

Which further openings in the wings or canard from your personal experience you would place? For braking lines? For wiring? In which position you would place the further openings?

I would like to benefit from your experience and introduce the right openings in the wing and the canard right from the start.

Please find below some short cuts from the foam cut software whiteout any additional openings in the canard (Bl10 to BL10).

Best regards

Eugen

Paul Fisher

None.  I ran brake lines and pitot line down the elevator slot core.  They don't weaken the canard structure and you can always inspect the lines by removing the elevators.

Just my $0.02.

Paul

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021, 07:34 Eugen Pilarski <interbus@...> wrote:
Dear Q-Team,

in the next step I would like to cut out the canard and wing units based on the blue foam.

Which further openings in the wings or canard from your personal experience you would place? For braking lines? For wiring? In which position you would place the further openings?

I would like to benefit from your experience and introduce the right openings in the wing and the canard right from the start.

Please find below some short cuts from the foam cut software whiteout any additional openings in the canard (Bl10 to BL10).

Best regards

Eugen

Jerry Marstall

An Amen on Paul's comment.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021, 8:53 AM Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:
[...]

Bruce Crain

Second the motion.  The ayes have it!
Bruce

On Sep 14, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Walterson

Eugen--------------  Watching the video on Terry Crouchs' airplane he mentions he has the LS canard. That would be the way I would go if doing it over.  I made the GU perform with the addition of VGs, but I think Terry had the right idea.

 As for brake lines and brakes, the original  scrubbers are real weak.  I would use drum brakes and  route out a slot down the entire canard about 3/4 inch deep. Install some oversized plastic tubing and micro and foam it in place. Doing this allows you to remove and replace any Nyloseal that may fail. You could also run hydraulic lines in the larger tube if you choose.  take care------------  Chris

Robert Cringely

How does one get Q1 LS canard cores? I'm rebuilding my Q1 and would love to switch.

Bob

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 4:56 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Eugen--------------  Watching the video on Terry Crouchs' airplane he
mentions he has the LS canard. That would be the way I would go if doing
it over.  I made the GU perform with the addition of VGs, but I think
Terry had the right idea.

  As for brake lines and brakes, the original  scrubbers are real weak.
I would use drum brakes and  route out a slot down the entire canard
about 3/4 inch deep. Install some oversized plastic tubing and micro and
foam it in place. Doing this allows you to remove and replace any
Nyloseal that may fail. You could also run hydraulic lines in the larger
tube if you choose.  take care------------  Chris

David J. Gall

How does one get Q1 LS canard cores? I'm rebuilding my Q1 and would love to switch.

Bob

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 4:56 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:

  Eugen--------------  Watching the video on Terry Crouchs' airplane he
mentions he has the LS canard. That would be the way I would go if doing
it over.  I made the GU perform with the addition of VGs, but I think
Terry had the right idea.

  As for brake lines and brakes, the original  scrubbers are real weak.
I would use drum brakes and  route out a slot down the entire canard
about 3/4 inch deep. Install some oversized plastic tubing and micro and
foam it in place. Doing this allows you to remove and replace any
Nyloseal that may fail. You could also run hydraulic lines in the larger
tube if you choose.  take care------------  Chris

Hot Wings

Quickie LS-1 templates CAD generated via TurboCad many years ago:
BTW the CAD files posted on the old site  were scanned from my work, by another, and are NOT true to the original.

Hot Wings

Forgot to mention that finding/making cores cores is not going to be the problem.
The Q-1 LS-1 uses the same spar as the Q-200, just a different part of them.  I've been away from the Q world so long I don't know if the reproductions are still available.

Robert Cringely

Thanks for these files. I won't be using the Q200 spars or, frankly, any recognizable internal bits. All I really need is the wing shape. I'm building wet wings for my turbo-diesel Q1 with the idea that maybe I'll set a record or two...

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 6:30 AM Hot Wings via groups.io <bd5er=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Forgot to mention that finding/making cores cores is not going to be the problem.
The Q-1 LS-1 uses the same spar as the Q-200, just a different part of them.  I've been away from the Q world so long I don't know if the reproductions are still available.

Hot Wings

What diesel engine are you considering?  I looked at the V-twin Chinese diesels more than a decade ago and discarded the idea as not practical.
There are some interesting marine 2 stroke diesel development projects nearing market introduction that may provide some of us with a 100LL option.

Look up Alan Thayer (sp) in the archives.  He had an LS-1 canard designed using Graphlite rods.Attached is a *.ZIP file of some of his work.  Graphlite is no longer a practical source of carbon rods for us as they are quite unwilling to sell rolled lengths of material.  The Chinese suppliers are willing and at a considerable savings in cost.  Preliminary tests have indicated the quality/strength is as good as the US sourced material.

Robert Cringely

Thanks! I’m using a no-name 680cc aluminum air-cooled V2 diesel to which I am adding a tiny turbocharger and intercooler. What’s changed since you looked is probably direct injection. Engine weight is around 50kg. I’m adding a belt drive from Ace Redrives in India. It’s 1:1 because I don’t need a slower prop but I do need to raise the thrust line and to isolate the prop loads from the mystery metal Chinese crankshaft. I’m probably a year from flying, by which time I will have replaced most of the airframe with vacuum-bagged pre-preg. It’s not carbon or glass — it’s flax fiber, which fits right between e-glass and s-glass in performance, with a little Coremat added for stiffness.

Bob

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 8:16 AM Hot Wings via groups.io <bd5er=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What diesel engine are you considering?  I looked at the V-twin Chinese diesels more than a decade ago and discarded the idea as not practical.
There are some interesting marine 2 stroke diesel development projects nearing market introduction that may provide some of us with a 100LL option.

Look up Alan Thayer (sp) in the archives.  He had an LS-1 canard designed using Graphlite rods.Attached is a *.ZIP file of some of his work.  Graphlite is no longer a practical source of carbon rods for us as they are quite unwilling to sell rolled lengths of material.  The Chinese suppliers are willing and at a considerable savings in cost.  Preliminary tests have indicated the quality/strength is as good as the US sourced material.

Bruce Crain

Hi Bob!  Where are you located?
Bruce

On Sep 16, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Robert Cringely <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm in Santa Rosa, CA but we are hoping to move shortly to escape the fires (we lost our home in 2017) so airplane progress is halting at best. Hopefully we'll end up near San Luis Obispo on the central coast where I have a flying job (I commute in my Thorp T-18).

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
[...]

Jay Scheevel

Wow Bob,

You and Keith W. are like twins! Each of you with a T-18 and a Q1. What are the odds of that, I wonder?

[...]

I wasn’t aware of that. I also have a Davis DA-2A.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:45 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

That’s one more coincidence. I knew Leeon Davis and his family in Midland TX, and Stanley Davis, Leeon’s brother, is the one who taught me to fly. I love that little boxy DA-2. It got more sleek as it evolved into the DA-5, which Leeon had plans get manufactured as a trainer, but alas, that never happened.  You should come to Enid this weekend, we probably would have a lot to talk about.

[...]

My DA-2A is a rebuild project I'm afraid. It was built in Midland and overseen by Leeon so you may recall it. Mine is the only DA-2A built with wing tanks. Like RV tanks they are removable sections of the inner leading edge. Mine leaked but are now sealed and I am adding a small header tank (four gallons) so everything from there can be gravity fed. It had a C-85 but also had a prop strike that somehow was never mentioned in the logs, so I ditched both the engine and the dangerously-clipped McCauley prop. The new engine is a Franklin Sport4 (125 hp) that bolts to the same Continental mount. It should be a good climber!

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 10:07 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a fun project, Bob. The DA-2 is an easy plane to work on, and to fly. I like the sound of your proposed fixes. Good luck.

[...]

Rob de Bie

Bob, when you mentioned flax fibers I peaked my ears! I've worked a bit with flax composites some 15 years ago. Is the material mature enough to use in an aircraft? I remember problems like no suitable sizings being available to optimize fiber-resin adhesion, moisture content during curing leading to degraded resin adhesion & quality, and moisture absorption during use leading to lower properties. Sounded to me like it would a lot more development before it would be safe to fly. But it was 15 years ago.

I also remember reading in an eighties issue of 'Homebuilt aircraft' magazine that hot-wet test specimens could be good indicator of the longer-term quality of the fiber-resin adhesion. Sounded reasonable to me.

Rob