Topics

Ready for Spring Fling!!

Bruce Crain

I flew N96BJ today and can say that it is up and running without any problems.  I have no oil on the belly after putting the o ring on the case half bolts on the left front!  It was 75 degrees F today and my temps were plenty cool for CHT and oil Temps!  The finished exit ramp on the bottom of the cowl looks great if you're standing back about 10 feet!

I am also getting the zig zag dialed in for cruise and alleviating the sparrow strainer stall!  I washed off all of the bugs today so I am feeling pretty good about it all!

I flew 1/2 hour today with gusting winds of 19 to 25 mph without any problem!  Yeah this TriQ is great with high winds and cross winds.  It is a lot more of a chore with the RV6 taildragger!

Bring it on Kevin Boddecker!  I am ready.!!
Spring Fling!  Woo hoo!

Bruce Crain

PS I think Honey Lamb is ready to travel somewhere as soon as this  Covid is over!

Jay Scheevel

Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear your great report. Keep knocking off those little to-do projects and you will not be able to stop smiling.

About crosswinds: I have to admit that my visit to Enid last September was the first time I landed with any significant cross-wind. It was not an option at Woodring, since that was my destination, and only one runway was open, so I just set up and landed it… with no issues. I was surprised how well the Tri-Q handled the 90 degree 10-13 knot crosswind that day. Worst problem I had was taxiing back on the parallel taxiway and trying to keep it from weathervaning with the castering nose wheel.

Working on building my wheel fairings now. Need for speed, don’t ya know. Finally got my “user error” repaired starter back on and tested…all good.

[...]

Jim Patillo

Bruce,

Thanks for the connection to Buddy. He is a hoot!

I talked with Buddy at D&B Aviation in OkCity. He suggested a slight chamfer on the case where the thru bolt comes out of the case. He said that was so the o ring could seat about 1/3rd of the way Into the case without cutting it. Did you do that?

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Sent from Outer Space

[...]

Kevin Boddicker

Speaking of the Fling, the virus and the gvmt will determine if it can happen. I won't give up until the last second.
Also talked with Mike, aprt mgr, on Sunday. From a distance! He said that due to Keith Kerr's death, Keith's wife is looking to get rid of his Q2 project. Don't know much for details. I believe it was built in the Iowa City area. Maybe Greg Zimmerman could shed some light on the plane. Anyway, Mike though she might give the plane to a good home.
More details as they surface.

Spring Fling May 15,16,17, 2020. Be there (KDEH)or we will talk about you!

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ200 N7868B
506 hrs.

On Apr 6, 2020, at 4:47 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

Sweet!
We might have to rendezvous with Jay Scheevel somewhere 1/2 way there and come in 2 ship!
Bruce

[...]

Hi Jim!
Sorry it has been so long ago that I worked over the through bolt that I don't remember if I put an o ring or just used silk thread.
Yes Buddy is a fun fellow to talk to!  And when I have a question he is more than happy to talk about aviation mechanics etc!  He is so sharp and experienced!
[...]

Sorry Bruce. Not to confuse everyone but  I’m now referring to the #4 cylinder case bolt (half thru bolt you just repaired). Not the thru bolt did previous.

Jim
N46JP Q200
Sent from Outer Space

Bruce Crain

Doh!  Sorry Jim!  I did find the thinnest o ring I could find to fit inside the hole but a chamfer would be a better idea.  How will you make a chamfer with the thru bolt in place?
Bruce

From: "Jim Patillo" <Logistics_engineering@...>
To: "main@Q-List.groups.io" <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 15:05:15 +0000

Sorry Bruce. Not to confuse everyone but  I�m now referring to the #4 cylinder case bolt (half thru bolt you just repaired). Not the thru bolt did previous.

Jim
N46JP Q200
Sent from Outer Space

Bruce Crain

It is such a relief to look at the belly and see a clean picture!  Feels like a whole new airplane!
Blessings on your engine maintenance!
Bruce

On Apr 7, 2020, at 10:50 AM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

Corbin

Speaking of maintenance, if anyone is bored enough to fly down/over to TKI (McKinney, Texas) and help me install a new fuel transfer pump, please know  you are welcome to come.

Corbin

--

Corbin
N33QR

Mike Dwyer

Any Flights of 2 or more need to keep at least 6 feet apart!

Mike Dwyer

YouTube Videos: https://goo.gl/yKEHfK
Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:47 AM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
[...]

Image.jpeg
Wilko.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

[...]

One of my favorite photos Jim! Give my best to Bob F, next time to you see him.

From: "Kevin  Boddicker" <trumanst@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 07:49:27 -0500

[...]

Will do Jay.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

One of my favorite photos Jim! Give my best to Bob F, next time to you see him.

From: "Kevin  Boddicker" <trumanst@...>
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 07:49:27 -0500

[...]

Say Jim when  you go back in with the thru bolts for cylinder #4 you will obviously have to thread the bolts back into the opposite case.  When I pulled my #4 I tried to re-torque the thru bolts "driven studs" to spec of 300 inch lbs or 25 foot lbs because one of the studs seemed a little long when I originally mounted the cylinder at overhaul.  And because I was curious about their original torque.  As I started to torque the two it seemed they were going in a bit further than I thought they should.  So I stopped and then remounted the cylinder and torqued the cylinder base bolts to the prescribed >490 inch lbs or >40 foot lbs for 7/16-20 bolts and >410 inch lbs or >34 foot lbs for the 3/8 -24 bolts.

I called Buddy at D and B Engines the next day and asked him what was going on with the driven studs not making torque.  He said you most likely have a heli-coil in place and the heli-coil has drilled hole at the end of it which makes the end of the hole further in from the heli-coil.  I know clear as mud, but think about how you drill and screw in a heli-coil.  I may have been bottoming out the threads on the bolt and screwing in the heli-coil more than originally mounted from Divco in Tulsa when they re built my case halves.

So unless you have a thru stud sticking out to far to get a cylinder base wrench on it when you mount it you might measure the other cylinder base bolts to see if they are sticking out any extra.  If you have any questions I would direct you to Buddy at D and B.  It seemed so much more simple when he described the procedure.

Bruce Crain

P.S.  I put the picture of  you and Bob Farnam 2 ship on Face Book and branded you two of the fastest Q's flying!  Hope you didn't mind!  That is a beautiful picture!

Jim Patillo

Thank you Bruce for all your help. I don’t have any heli-coils installed (yet). But I get what your saying. Will let you know when I get there.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

[...]

Go carefully when you torque up the driven studs and then the cylinder base  nuts!  Imraan and I pulled a stud when re installing his number 3 cylinder.  He had to  have the case apart and have heli-coils installed.  Not fun!
Bruce

[...]

Why did he have to pull the cases apart to install a heli-coil for a cylinder?

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

[...]

John Hoxie

Edited

It's a 20 hour drive to Spring Fling from southern NM. Anyone from Southern Cal, Southern AZ, New Mexico, West Oklahoma or West Texas have room for 170 pounds of paying ballast?