Reflexor Installation Question/Issue

I have the reflexor parts all cut and ready to be epoxied in per picture below ...

But my problem is that it seems I need to put the reflexor donut much further down than most because otherwise the aileron control tube will hit the center armrest / bulkhead hole even when fully dremel out ...

Before I drill another 4" hole that I will later flux / glass in (yes you may laugh), I figured I check here for your suggestions and ideas.

Happy Sunday btw everyone, beautiful day outside, wish I was flying!

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Sam Hoskins

I installed a Universal Joint, like this https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/MS20271-B14.php right where you have the red circle in your second photo.

Sam

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 3:58 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
I have the reflexor parts all cut and ready to be epoxied in per picture below ...

But my problem is that it seems I need to put the reflexor donut much further down than most because otherwise the aileron control tube will hit the center armrest / bulkhead hole even when fully dremel out ...

Before I drill another 4" hole that I will later flux / glass in (yes you may laugh), I figured I check here for your suggestions and ideas.

Happy Sunday btw everyone, beautiful day outside, wish I was flying!

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Ahhh genius ... With this joint I could have kept the original hole which is higher up LOL. So did you put another phenolic piece into the bulkhead hole?
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Sam Hoskins

This is my reflexor. I have a phenolic just forward of the U-joint.

You can see my reflexor here:  https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/album?id=115659

Sam

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 4:37 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
Ahhh genius ... With this joint I could have kept the original hole which is higher up LOL. So did you put another phenolic piece into the bulkhead hole?
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Chris Walterson

Robert----------  This is the position I installed mine with no problems.

One thing I also did was because I do not use the U joint as some have, I drilled my tube attach holes from left to right and not up and down. This seems to give the torque tube enough play. Opinions mat vary-------------  Chris

Chris Walterson

Robert ---  As a follow up, I built mine from the start so I had the opportunity to position the phenolic in the arm rest.--- Chris

Hi Robert,

I think you can install it where you want it vertically, It would only be a matter of rebuilding or adjusting  the vertical pushrods to suit your choice of vertical position of the donut. Also, you must make sure you have adequate clearance for full travel on the fuselage bottom at the split line. Other than those considerations, it should work where you need to put it to clear the arm rest.

Here is my installation. Mine was at the highest level that would clear the armrest tunnel, but you can see in my seatback bulkhead that I have reamed out a vertical tunnel to accomodate the travel. Once I got everything fit, I closed this out with glass.

This whole reflexor assembly is a bit "inelegant" from an engineering standpoint. This is because you have fixed bushings on either end of a tube which moving up and down changing its longitudinal angle. By this, I mean that the tube is not always (or maybe never) perpendicular to the bushings on either end. The bushings are phenolic, so they are relatively compressible, so can accommodate the continuous small mis-allignment of the tube without indenting it or wearing it during rotation. Plus, the bore in phenolic is not to "machine" tolerance, nor is the torque tube. This slop saves the day, so do not replace the phenolic bearing that is in contact with the torque tube with some harder material, such as bronze. Existing assemblies like what you have have now been reliably in service for several decades and work fine, so no need for redesign. My 2 cents