Removing Engine with Tail Off - Support Recommendations

Corbin

I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Jim Patillo

Corbin,

I raise the tail high enough to get support under the main part of the fuselage. Then brace the engine just behind the prop. Then remove the tail. This works and will allow you to work inside the cockpit as well without fear of tipping over onto the engine. Looks like you are doing about the same.Hope all is well with you.

Jim
N46JP

I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Richard Thomson

   Hey Corbin, whats the matter with the Alternator, what one have you got.

    Just fit the cone, its a 5 minute job.

Br

Rich T.

On 23/09/2021 16:33, Corbin via groups.io wrote:
I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Bruce Crain

That would be the simplest and it doesn’t take long.
Bruce

On Sep 23, 2021, at 10:33 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Corbin

Hey Rich, the alternator itself is fine but he would like to run better wiring to/from it along with the new wiring with all the other avionics work going on.

--

Corbin
N121CG

Martin Skiby

Put a foam block under the federate at the split.   Easy and will work fine.

Martin

On Sep 23, 2021, at 9:28 AM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

    That makes complete sense, I am still running the little B&C 12 amp, but I wired it so that the 30 amp could pop straight in if it was needed.

    Good luck with it.

    Rich T

On 23/09/2021 17:30, Corbin via groups.io wrote:
Hey Rich, the alternator itself is fine but he would like to run better wiring to/from it along with the new wiring with all the other avionics work going on.

--

Corbin
N121CG

Jerry Marstall

Just put the tail on. Safest.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021, 11:33 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Mike Dwyer

Hi Corbin,
I chock the wheels, put a bottle jack at the back with a board/foam to spread the load, and also a jack at the front center, just behind the cowl to hold up the front.  In my hangar I have a Come-Along that goes up to a structural beam in the hangar.  To work on an accessory case item takes me about 30 min to have the engine pulled forward and gain access.
Mike Dwyer Q200

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:33 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Sam Hoskins

Corbin. Search my blog for the Jerry Marstall fixture, shouldn't be too far back.. It made my life worth living.

Sam

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021, 2:18 PM Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:
[...]

Will do.....but is that the PVC structure to hold the tail?  If so, I built that last summer and the tail is on it now.  If something else then I will check the blog.

Corbin Ge!ser

On Sep 23, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

Here's Jerry's setup. It folds up when not in use. For removing the engine, I recommend a Harbour Freight engine hoist with the optional leveling attachment.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021, 10:33 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think this will be the 7th or 8th time for me to take off the engine.  My avionics guy needs to get to the alternator.  In the past, it was a normal process and all I needed was the engine hoist.  However, this time the tail is off so I am currently supporting the fuselage by resting it on a short table while the engine stand supports the front from tipping forward.

How would you guys recommend me supporting the fuselage while removing the engine without the tail on?  Should I simply just put the tailback on for the meantime and remove it again once the engine is back on?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Corbin