Topics

Replace Axle Rod

Corbin

I over tightened my axle castle nut and snapped the end off the rod. What’s the easiest and fastest recommendation for a replacement?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Paul Fisher

As I recall I cut the threads into a solid rod.  But it's been over 30 years, so I could be mistaken!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 15:03 Corbin via Groups.Io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I over tightened my axle castle nut and snapped the end off the rod.  What’s the easiest and fastest recommendation for a replacement?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Mike Dwyer

Oops...  Too much force here could wreck the wheel bearings due to too much side load on them.  I typically tighten until I feel the rotating tire just gets a little stiff.  Not very tight!  That's the reason for a castle nut and no torque on the nut.  You should be able to buy some aluminum rod stock at the hardware store and cut the thread with a Die.
Mike Dwyer

YouTube Videos: https://goo.gl/yKEHfK
Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:03 PM Corbin via Groups.Io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I over tightened my axle castle nut and snapped the end off the rod.  What’s the easiest and fastest recommendation for a replacement?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Jim Patillo

Corbin,

The axle shaft bolt and nuts of the Q is a little light and tube can get bent with repeated hits to the runway.

I replaced mine with larger 3/8”
Stainless stock that fully fills the tube diameter and goes thru the wheel. Each end is threaded for 9/16” nut/fender washer.
A machine shop can make these up for you pretty quick.

Mine has worked for years without any issues.

Jim
N46JP - Q200
Landing Livermore now.

Sent from Outer Space

As I recall I cut the threads into a solid rod.  But it's been over 30 years, so I could be mistaken!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 15:03 Corbin via Groups.Io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I over tightened my axle castle nut and snapped the end off the rod.  What’s the easiest and fastest recommendation for a replacement?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Jay Scheevel

Probably good that you did that, since it was more than likely cracked before you started tightening. I will look in my left over items from my original kit to see if I have a spare set of axles, since I did not build the taildragger. In the meantime, someone in the group probably has a source for you.

I over tightened my axle castle nut and snapped the end off the rod. What’s the easiest and fastest recommendation for a replacement?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Corbin

Thanks Jay!  I was thinking the same thing in that maybe it was weak.

Corbin

On January 27, 2020 at 3:35 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Probably good that you did that, since it was more than likely cracked before you started tightening. I will look in my left over items from my original kit to see if I have a spare set of axles, since I did not build the taildragger. In the meantime, someone in the group probably has a source for you.

I over tightened my axle castle nut and snapped the end off the rod. What’s the easiest and fastest recommendation for a replacement?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

--

Corbin
N33QR

Corbin

Good info!  I might look into this tomorrow.  Thanks for the measurements!

Corbin Ge!ser

On January 27, 2020 at 3:35 PM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

Much appreciated....looking into a die now in case that is what I need to do.

Corbin

On January 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Corbin,

Checked all over and at the hangar, but no luck finding those extra axle bolts.  Here is a link that may be of help. If it is not exactly what you want, then search a little more on McMaster Carr site and you will find exactly the right size rod and the steel you want. Also, they make very nice dies if you want to by one for cutting your own threads.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Corbin

Thanks Jay.  No worries but I REALLY appreciate you looking.  I went ahead and placed an order through McMaster a few days ago and it arrives today.

Corbin Ge!ser

On January 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin,

Checked all over and at the hangar, but no luck finding those extra axle bolts.  Here is a link that may be of help. If it is not exactly what you want, then search a little more on McMaster Carr site and you will find exactly the right size rod and the steel you want. Also, they make very nice dies if you want to by one for cutting your own threads.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Corbin
N33QR

Martin Skiby

OK animal, easy on the torque!!

Thanks Jay.  No worries but I REALLY appreciate you looking.  I went ahead and placed an order through McMaster a few days ago and it arrives today.

Corbin Ge!ser

On January 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin,

Checked all over and at the hangar, but no luck finding those extra axle bolts.  Here is a link that may be of help. If it is not exactly what you want, then search a little more on McMaster Carr site and you will find exactly the right size rod and the steel you want. Also, they make very nice dies if you want to by one for cutting your own threads.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Corbin

Haha....so true, so true.  Thanks for the link a few days ago!

Corbin Ge!ser

On January 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

OK animal, easy on the torque!!

Thanks Jay.  No worries but I REALLY appreciate you looking.  I went ahead and placed an order through McMaster a few days ago and it arrives today.

Corbin Ge!ser

On January 30, 2020 at 10:02 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin,

Checked all over and at the hangar, but no luck finding those extra axle bolts.  Here is a link that may be of help. If it is not exactly what you want, then search a little more on McMaster Carr site and you will find exactly the right size rod and the steel you want. Also, they make very nice dies if you want to by one for cutting your own threads.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Corbin
N33QR

Jerry Gmail

What is the size and length?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, 11:01 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
Hi Corbin,

Checked all over and at the hangar, but no luck finding those extra axle bolts.  Here is a link that may be of help. If it is not exactly what you want, then search a little more on McMaster Carr site and you will find exactly the right size rod and the steel you want. Also, they make very nice dies if you want to by one for cutting your own threads.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Isn’t there an AN bolt that length that you can just order?  Might be stronger and more resistant to corrosion?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 7:35 PM, Jerry Gmail <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

What is the size and length?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, 11:01 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
Hi Corbin,

Checked all over and at the hangar, but no luck finding those extra axle bolts.  Here is a link that may be of help. If it is not exactly what you want, then search a little more on McMaster Carr site and you will find exactly the right size rod and the steel you want. Also, they make very nice dies if you want to by one for cutting your own threads.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rods

Hi Corbin,

Found the spare axle bolts. Do you still want them? If so contact me off line with your address at Jay at Scheevel dot com.