Revmaster - Splitting the case


Michael
 

Anyone here have experience tearing down a Revmaster? I've gotten down to the flywheel and can't tell if there is anything special I need to do with the front bearing before I continue on; the manual isn't helping much. Anyone have part numbers for the front and rear seals?

My main concern is getting any kind of leverage on the prop/flywheel bolts once the crankshaft comes out.


--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Dave Dugas
 

Michael
I just split the case on my Revmaster, no need to remove the prop hub. I ground down a socket to get a thin walled socket to remove the flywheel bolts. I don't know what the seal sizes are....best to call Revmaster for that.  Dave D


On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 10:09 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Anyone here have experience tearing down a Revmaster? I've gotten down to the flywheel and can't tell if there is anything special I need to do with the front bearing before I continue on; the manual isn't helping much. Anyone have part numbers for the front and rear seals?

My main concern is getting any kind of leverage on the prop/flywheel bolts once the crankshaft comes out.


--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Hot Wings
 

Remove the flywheel and prop hub bolts before splitting the case.  Look up VW Flywheel Lock
It is nothing more than a little device that bolts on the upper case bolts and engages the starter ring gear.  Google doesn't show a pic of the really simple one - little more than a 2 inch 1/4 water pipe with a 1/8 inch tooth welded on one end.  I've removed and installed hundreds of flywheels over the years with this very basic tool...just flop the tooth over depending on if you are tightening or loosening.


Patrick Panzera
 

Please keep in mind that the prop hub bolt is threaded opposite of all other VW engines. In other words, you twist the bolt to the right (clockwise) to loosen it.

Then the inside of the hub is threaded for a different bolt that's threaded in that will bottom out against the end of the crank to press the hub off the crank. If you try to use a pulley puller on the flange, you'll just bend it beyond repair.

This may help:


Pat 

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021, 7:30 AM Hot Wings via groups.io <bd5er=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Remove the flywheel and prop hub bolts before splitting the case.  Look up VW Flywheel Lock
It is nothing more than a little device that bolts on the upper case bolts and engages the starter ring gear.  Google doesn't show a pic of the really simple one - little more than a 2 inch 1/4 water pipe with a 1/8 inch tooth welded on one end.  I've removed and installed hundreds of flywheels over the years with this very basic tool...just flop the tooth over depending on if you are tightening or loosening.


Michael
 

Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Dave Dugas
 

Michael,
Yes. No need to remove the prop hub, just the flywheel. I'll send you a picture of the crankshaft as it was removed from the case,,,,minus one connecting rod.
Dave D


On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Kevin Boddicker
 

Dave,
I’d like to see that too.
Kevin

On Nov 19, 2021, at 12:08 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Michael,
Yes. No need to remove the prop hub, just the flywheel. I'll send you a picture of the crankshaft as it was removed from the case,,,,minus one connecting rod.
Dave D


On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Dave Dugas
 

I just went to my hangar and took this picture. I hope it will give you some answers.... Hi Kevin. You guys were such a big help. People want to see the pictures of the Q2 in the truck and you're in em.






On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 6:32 PM, Kevin Boddicker
<trumanst@...> wrote:
Dave,
I’d like to see that too.
Kevin

On Nov 19, 2021, at 12:08 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Michael,
Yes. No need to remove the prop hub, just the flywheel. I'll send you a picture of the crankshaft as it was removed from the case,,,,minus one connecting rod.
Dave D


On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Raphael SF Zvetkoff
 

Do you have the flywheel lock?

Our shipping policy is as follows: We ONLY ship within the United States and its territories. Orders over $100 will receive free shipping within the continental United States. Freight on orders between $50 and $100 will be $9.95, and freight on orders between $0 and $49.99 will be $7.50.
www.jbugs.com


From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Michael <dunningme@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 7:09 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Revmaster - Splitting the case
 
Anyone here have experience tearing down a Revmaster? I've gotten down to the flywheel and can't tell if there is anything special I need to do with the front bearing before I continue on; the manual isn't helping much. Anyone have part numbers for the front and rear seals?

My main concern is getting any kind of leverage on the prop/flywheel bolts once the crankshaft comes out.


--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Kevin Boddicker
 

Poor people have to look at my mug?
Sorry I had to help. but glad I was needed.
How is progress? New engine yet?

All the best,

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 570 hrs
Luana, IA.



On Nov 19, 2021, at 6:40 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

I just went to my hangar and took this picture. I hope it will give you some answers.... Hi Kevin. You guys were such a big help. People want to see the pictures of the Q2 in the truck and you're in em.
<IMG_20211119_191452.jpg>





On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 6:32 PM, Kevin Boddicker
<trumanst@...> wrote:
Dave,
I’d like to see that too.
Kevin

On Nov 19, 2021, at 12:08 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Michael,
Yes. No need to remove the prop hub, just the flywheel. I'll send you a picture of the crankshaft as it was removed from the case,,,,minus one connecting rod.
Dave D


On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

<IMG_20211119_191452.jpg>


Dave Dugas
 

Hi Kevin, you handsome devil.  Revmaster has all of the parts needed to build a new engine that should bolt right in, and work on it will start soon. Still haven't had time to flip the fuselage over to repair the damage. I'd like to get the fuselage flipped over in preparation for any warm weather.
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
Dave D


On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 8:14 AM, Kevin Boddicker
<trumanst@...> wrote:
Poor people have to look at my mug?
Sorry I had to help. but glad I was needed.
How is progress? New engine yet?

All the best,

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 570 hrs
Luana, IA.



On Nov 19, 2021, at 6:40 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

I just went to my hangar and took this picture. I hope it will give you some answers.... Hi Kevin. You guys were such a big help. People want to see the pictures of the Q2 in the truck and you're in em.
<IMG_20211119_191452.jpg>





On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 6:32 PM, Kevin Boddicker
<trumanst@...> wrote:
Dave,
I’d like to see that too.
Kevin

On Nov 19, 2021, at 12:08 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Michael,
Yes. No need to remove the prop hub, just the flywheel. I'll send you a picture of the crankshaft as it was removed from the case,,,,minus one connecting rod.
Dave D


On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

<IMG_20211119_191452.jpg>


Mike Steinsland
 

Hey Dave
I dont know how you plan to flip your fuselage but this has been wor6great for me

Cheers 

On Sun., Nov. 21, 2021, 9:50 a.m. Dave Dugas via groups.io, <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Kevin, you handsome devil.  Revmaster has all of the parts needed to build a new engine that should bolt right in, and work on it will start soon. Still haven't had time to flip the fuselage over to repair the damage. I'd like to get the fuselage flipped over in preparation for any warm weather.
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
Dave D


On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 8:14 AM, Kevin Boddicker
<trumanst@...> wrote:
Poor people have to look at my mug?
Sorry I had to help. but glad I was needed.
How is progress? New engine yet?

All the best,

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 570 hrs
Luana, IA.



On Nov 19, 2021, at 6:40 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

I just went to my hangar and took this picture. I hope it will give you some answers.... Hi Kevin. You guys were such a big help. People want to see the pictures of the Q2 in the truck and you're in em.
<IMG_20211119_191452.jpg>





On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 6:32 PM, Kevin Boddicker
<trumanst@...> wrote:
Dave,
I’d like to see that too.
Kevin

On Nov 19, 2021, at 12:08 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Michael,
Yes. No need to remove the prop hub, just the flywheel. I'll send you a picture of the crankshaft as it was removed from the case,,,,minus one connecting rod.
Dave D


On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM, Michael
<dunningme@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Dave:
Do you have any pictures you could share? Does the aluminum "nose bearing" come off with the hub and crank as one assembly when you do this?

Hot Wings:
Just ordered that yesterday; Glad to know I'm on the right track.

Pat:
Thanks for the reminder to go (re)read that article. The instructions in that issue are actually what inspired me to order the special hub removal bolt from Revmaster last year.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

<IMG_20211119_191452.jpg>


Michael
 

More progress... Given that my engine (S/N A-2605) was Ordered on April 24 1985, Test Run on June 28 1985, and Delivered on July 9 1985, I'm fairly shocked to see that I have a single oil relief case. Somewhat worried that my engine was built on a used case, given that the dual relief/universal case came out in '71...


Thanks a bunch for taking that picture, Dave. Really helps a ton.



--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)