Sink Rate Estimates?

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

Hey all,

I’m curious what’s out there for approximate sink rate at 90mph.  I know there’s many factors/variables so let’s go with the setup below and add as necessary.  

I’ll need to go fly and try to obtain my actual sink rate but this approximate need is to complete the setup of my avionics (smart glide).

• Single occupant
  • 950 lbs gross
  • 90 mpg
  • Reflexor set to cruise 
  • Q200 w/ GU & VG’s
  • DA of 3,000ft
Got the placards on last night!

- Corbin

image0.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Mike Dwyer

Hey Corbin.  You really need to do your own numbers.  The sink is way higher with the engine off vs at idle.  I'd suggest pulling the mixture to kill the engine.  At idle, I found my best glide to be 120 mph.  At 85 the sink rate was huge.  So find your best glide by trying 120, 110, 100, and 90 mph.  You could probably do this in one flight.  Go to 4000'. Kill the engine at 120, record your velocity down, then slow to 100, ...  The engine/prop won't stop until you get below about 80 mph.
Fly Safe 
Mike Dwyer

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022, 07:11 Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hey all,

I’m curious what’s out there for approximate sink rate at 90mph.  I know there’s many factors/variables so let’s go with the setup below and add as necessary.  

I’ll need to go fly and try to obtain my actual sink rate but this approximate need is to complete the setup of my avionics (smart glide).

• Single occupant
  • 950 lbs gross
  • 90 mpg
  • Reflexor set to cruise 
  • Q200 w/ GU & VG’s
  • DA of 3,000ft

- Corbin

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

Agreed, but as mentioned below this is just to complete the setup of my avionics to ensure all is working.  I just figured I would at least try and get close to we can test in flight but then back on the ground I would input my actual rate.

Corbin 

On Jun 30, 2022, at 7:02 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

Hey Corbin.  You really need to do your own numbers.  The sink is way higher with the engine off vs at idle.  I'd suggest pulling the mixture to kill the engine.  At idle, I found my best glide to be 120 mph.  At 85 the sink rate was huge.  So find your best glide by trying 120, 110, 100, and 90 mph.  You could probably do this in one flight.  Go to 4000'. Kill the engine at 120, record your velocity down, then slow to 100, ...  The engine/prop won't stop until you get below about 80 mph.
Fly Safe 
Mike Dwyer

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022, 07:11 Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hey all,

I’m curious what’s out there for approximate sink rate at 90mph.  I know there’s many factors/variables so let’s go with the setup below and add as necessary.  

• Single occupant
  • 950 lbs gross
  • 90 mpg
  • Reflexor set to cruise 
  • Q200 w/ GU & VG’s
  • DA of 3,000ft

- Corbin

--

Corbin 
N121CG

<image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image2.jpeg>

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Nathan Peck

When testing I would suggest noting horizontal distance at various indicated airspeeds.  Minimum Sink rate doesn’t always align with maximum distance. 
Obviously, min sink gives you the most time before touchdown but may not stretch the glide the maximum distance. 
-Nathan

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 5:04 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Agreed, but as mentioned below this is just to complete the setup of my avionics to ensure all is working.  I just figured I would at least try and get close to we can test in flight but then back on the ground I would input my actual rate.

Corbin 

Fly Safe 
Mike Dwyer

Hey all,

• Single occupant
  • 950 lbs gross
  • 90 mpg
  • Reflexor set to cruise 
  • Q200 w/ GU & VG’s
  • DA of 3,000ft

- Corbin

--

Corbin 
N121CG

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

Thanks Nathan.  I decided, since this is for Smart Glide testing, then I am going to enter 750ft per minute and either 90mph or 100mph for Vg.  Then I can adjust the software at a later time for actual sink rate and best Vg.

Corbin

On Jun 30, 2022, at 8:53 AM, Nathan Peck <nathanpeck@...> wrote:

When testing I would suggest noting horizontal distance at various indicated airspeeds.  Minimum Sink rate doesn’t always align with maximum distance. 
Obviously, min sink gives you the most time before touchdown but may not stretch the glide the maximum distance. 
-Nathan

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 5:04 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Agreed, but as mentioned below this is just to complete the setup of my avionics to ensure all is working.  I just figured I would at least try and get close to we can test in flight but then back on the ground I would input my actual rate.

Corbin 

Fly Safe 
Mike Dwyer

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022, 07:11 Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hey all,

• Single occupant
  • 950 lbs gross
  • 90 mpg
  • Reflexor set to cruise 
  • Q200 w/ GU & VG’s
  • DA of 3,000ft

- Corbin

-- 

Corbin 
N121CG

-- 

Corbin 
N121CG

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Martin Skiby

Corbin,

It’s a little like a man hole cover!   Haha.  Sorry I don’t have that info but it should be available or you can test it and provide for the group.

Martin

On Jun 30, 2022, at 5:04 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Agreed, but as mentioned below this is just to complete the setup of my avionics to ensure all is working.  I just figured I would at least try and get close to we can test in flight but then back on the ground I would input my actual rate.

Corbin 

Fly Safe 
Mike Dwyer

Hey all,

• Single occupant
  • 950 lbs gross
  • 90 mpg
  • Reflexor set to cruise 
  • Q200 w/ GU & VG’s
  • DA of 3,000ft

- Corbin

--

Corbin 
N121CG

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

Haha…that’s a good description.  I agree that the info should be avail and will definitely share once I can determine it.  
--

Corbin 
N121CG