Topics

Slight Damage to Canopy

Corbin

What’s the recommended fix for this bit of damage to the canopy edge? I’m only assuming my avionics guy left something hanging out of the cockpit and then shut the canopy. But it wasn’t there the last time I flew for certain.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Phil Lankford

Mix up a little cotton flox and epoxy and shape it to your liking. Phil

On Nov 11, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

What’s the recommended fix for this bit of damage to the canopy edge? I’m only assuming my avionics guy left something hanging out of the cockpit and then shut the canopy. But it wasn’t there the last time I flew for certain.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

<image5.jpeg>
<image6.jpeg>
<image7.jpeg>

Jay Scheevel

I would just use bondo, then sand it down flush, paint it with some matching white urethane (just use a brush and do several coats 20 minutes or so apart). Wait for it to thoroughly dry, then go at it feathering it with 400, 800, 1200 grit wet sanding without working through the paint, then buff it and wax it and you are done. If you get through the paint, then just repeat the process. My 2 cents

What’s the recommended fix for this bit of damage to the canopy edge? I’m only assuming my avionics guy left something hanging out of the cockpit and then shut the canopy. But it wasn’t there the last time I flew for certain.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Jim Patillo

I’m with Phil on this one. It’s a leading edge.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Mix up a little cotton flox and epoxy and shape it to your liking. Phil
> On Nov 11, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:
>
> What’s the recommended fix for this bit of damage to the canopy edge?  I’m only assuming my avionics guy left something hanging out of the cockpit and then shut the canopy.  But it wasn’t there the last time I flew for certain.
>

> Corbin
>
> --
> Corbin
> N33QR
>

> <image5.jpeg>
> <image6.jpeg>
> <image7.jpeg>

One Sky Dog

No bondo over epoxy It will come off.

On Nov 11, 2020, at 6:44 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I would just use bondo, then sand it down flush, paint it with some matching white urethane (just use a brush and do several coats 20 minutes or so apart). Wait for it to thoroughly dry, then go at it feathering it with 400, 800, 1200 grit wet sanding without working through the paint, then buff it and wax it and you are done. If you get through the paint, then just repeat the process. My 2 cents
What’s the recommended fix for this bit of damage to the canopy edge?  I’m only assuming my avionics guy left something hanging out of the cockpit and then shut the canopy.  But it wasn’t there the last time I flew for certain.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Jay Scheevel

Dang, I knew I shouldn't have glued my wings on with that stuff!

"One Sky Dog via groups.io" <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

[...]

Sam Hoskins

Something that small and non-structural I would use JB Weld.

Sam

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 9:30 PM One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
No bondo over epoxy It will come off.

Charlie

On Nov 11, 2020, at 6:44 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I would just use bondo, then sand it down flush, paint it with some matching white urethane (just use a brush and do several coats 20 minutes or so apart). Wait for it to thoroughly dry, then go at it feathering it with 400, 800, 1200 grit wet sanding without working through the paint, then buff it and wax it and you are done. If you get through the paint, then just repeat the process. My 2 cents
What’s the recommended fix for this bit of damage to the canopy edge?  I’m only assuming my avionics guy left something hanging out of the cockpit and then shut the canopy.  But it wasn’t there the last time I flew for certain.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Mike Steinsland

I've been in autobody all my life.
Go with the flox, bondo will just break off the edge.