Topics

Socially Isolated Flight Report - I guess the hard way.

Sam Hoskins

Last week I pushed the Q-200 out and did an hour of burning gas and flying around in circles.  It felt good, but my return entrance to the pattern sucked.  Today was too nice to pass up and I pushed my Fiberglass Bitch out into the daylight.  I hopped over to Marion, KMWA for pattern work, touch and goes.Their runway is 8,000 x 150, so I figured I was fairly safe.

I did 10 T&Gs. I can not remember the last time I did that many.  And I have to say, I don't think the last one was any better than the first. There's a lot to keep track of for this old fart..  Fuel management, elevator trim, reflexor, speed brake, speed, speed, speed etc., etc.

I wish I had an instructor next to me yelling at me to watch my altitude on the downwind (too high), watch my speed across the numbers (way too fast), Watch speed on the base (way to fast). Stay in closer to the runway (exacerbated by being too fast). You're too low on the final, dragging it in.

Whew!

It took almost an hour to do all 10, but I can say to myself "Thanks, I needed that".

Sam

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Sam.  Good reminder. I am hoping to do the same later this week!

[...]

Corbin

Love it, Sam!  That is exactly what I need right now.

Corbin

--

Corbin
N33QR

Mike Dwyer

LOL, way to go Sam!
Mike Dwyer

YouTube Videos: https://goo.gl/yKEHfK
Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 3:28 PM Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Patillo

Hey Sam,

Glad to see you back in the air. Ride that horse buddy!

[...]

Good on ya Sammy!!  And probably at Mach .3 or so!!!
Bruce

On Apr 1, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

One Sky Dog

Hello all,

I practiced awaiting for two hours yesterday, touch and go at Tombstone (graveyard airport one hanger and one the wind destroyed). Surveyed some of the southern border no bollard fence yet by Bisby. Back to E95 before the wind picked up.

On Apr 1, 2020, at 8:03 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Crain

Was that at Mach .07?  Hope this post finds you well and blessed Charlie!
Bruce

On Apr 4, 2020, at 10:51 AM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Thomson

Well OSD,  Actually somewhere I have been in your fine land, We started our road trip back in 2002 in Tombstone.

Rich T.

On 04/04/2020 19:27, Bruce Crain wrote:
[...]

I will have you know it was 0.149984 of Mach of course that was a maximum.

Doing well preparing to go north to work on the Dragonfly at the end of the month.

I upgraded to a 406 ELT because standing in a field with the 121.5 going off no one comes.

Also submitting to surveillance program and ordered a Sky beacon. The tail beacon would not fit my tail light socket. Flying the Tri-Pacer up between the 25 and 30 Apr. under the veil of KSLC

Doing well no friends close by so staying isolated and have my P95 at the ready.

On Apr 4, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry Charlie I didn't mean to offend the venerable Tri Pacer!  It is a hunk o' burnin' Mach!  Say Jim Pattilo and I went with the Uavonix experimental package for ads-b in and out.  It is about $1350 but it is nice to see who and where traffic is coming from.  And it is not that much more expensive than the Sky-beacon.  But will they let you put it on the Tri Pacer?
Bruce

I will have you know it was 0.149984 of Mach of course that was a maximum.

Doing well preparing to go north to work on the Dragonfly at the end of the month.

I upgraded to a 406 ELT because standing in a field with the 121.5 going off no one comes.

Also submitting to surveillance program and ordered a Sky beacon. The tail beacon would not fit my tail light socket. Flying the Tri-Pacer up between the 25 and 30 Apr. under the veil of KSLC

Doing well no friends close by so staying isolated and have my P95 at the ready.

Charlie

[...]

Bruce who is they? There is no regulation for part 91 that says I can not. My A&P AI said he would fill out a 337 even though I could just stick it on myself and make an entry in the log book.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/type-certificate-prohibiting-non-tso’d-equipment.109141/

A hunk of burning Mach it is not but I can put 950 lbs in it and land on dirt.

Charlie

On Apr 4, 2020, at 2:39 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

I assumed that Uavionics posted it as “Experimental” and wasn’t supposed to be used in spam cans.  If you go that way I think you will be pleased!  I am and I think Jim Patillo is also.
Bruce