Topics

Sparrow strainers

Dorothea Keats

About to install the sparrow strainers on the Q200 elevator. I noticed on the video showing Bruces airplane , he had the strainers in the middle. Is there any concern installing them on the outboard side of the elevator as apposed to the inside?

 Should be finished most of the bodywork on the flying surfaces next week, so I will be able to install the canard and wing. Following some of the older threads, I think on the Q200 it is recommended by Sam and some others to add one more positive angle of attack on the canard. Did I get that right? The wing stays as is.

 Still picking micro from my nose, but the end is in sight.  Take care--------------  Chris

After my experience with putting the sparrow strainer mid span I would just go with the plans. It is a given and midpoint is not. I put 1 1/2 degree up incidence on the canard and .8 up on the main wing. If you have a light and therefore fast Q the view over the nose will be good as the aft end flies higher the faster you fly.
Bruce
On Nov 24, 2020, at 4:03 PM, Dorothea Keats <dkeats@tbaytel.net> wrote:

 About to install the sparrow strainers on the Q200 elevator. I noticed on the video showing Bruces airplane , he had the strainers in the middle. Is there any concern installing them on the outboard side of the elevator as apposed to the inside?

Should be finished most of the bodywork on the flying surfaces next week, so I will be able to install the canard and wing. Following some of the older threads, I think on the Q200 it is recommended by Sam and some others to add one more positive angle of attack on the canard. Did I get that right? The wing stays as is.

Still picking micro from my nose, but the end is in sight. Take care-------------- Chris

Death Row Inmates Scam State Pandemic Benefits
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fbdbe0011d1f3dff5949st03duc1
Pennsylvania, Nevada Certify Vote Results
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fbdbe0030b7a3dff5949st03duc2
Flournoy May Not Be a Shoo-In for Defense After All
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fbdbe004fa7f3dff5949st03duc3

Jay Scheevel

I agree with Bruce. For years I have tried to noodle out the reasoning that QAC recommended the inboard mounting of the sparrow strainers and it may have something to do with the stall of the canard beginning inboard so the incipient stall will partially washout on the sparrow strainer resulting in a sort of stall recovery effect by adding forward stick forces. This is just a guess on my part.

[...]

Mike Dwyer

I'm going to guess that the inboard bearing is much better at handling the load from the sparow strainer.  The center hinge is fairly weak.
Mike

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020, 9:58 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
I agree with Bruce. For years I have tried to noodle out the reasoning that QAC recommended the inboard mounting of the sparrow strainers and it may have something to do with the stall of the canard beginning inboard so the incipient stall will partially washout on the sparrow strainer resulting in a sort of stall recovery effect by adding forward stick forces. This is just a guess on my part.

After my experience with putting the sparrow strainer mid span I would just go with the plans.  It is a given and midpoint is not.  I put 1 1/2 degree up incidence on the canard and .8 up on the main wing.  If you have a light and therefore fast Q the view over the nose will be good as the aft end flies higher the faster you fly.
Bruce
> On Nov 24, 2020, at 4:03 PM, Dorothea Keats <dkeats@...> wrote:
>
>  About to install the sparrow strainers on the Q200 elevator. I noticed on the video showing Bruces airplane , he had the strainers in the middle. Is there any concern installing them on the outboard side of the elevator as apposed to the inside?
>
>  Should be finished most of the bodywork on the flying surfaces next week, so I will be able to install the canard and wing. Following some of the older threads, I think on the Q200 it is recommended by Sam and some others to add one more positive angle of attack on the canard. Did I get that right? The wing stays as is.
>
>  Still picking micro from my nose, but the end is in sight.  Take care--------------  Chris
>

> --

Death Row Inmates Scam State Pandemic Benefits
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fbdbe0011d1f3dff5949st03duc1
Pennsylvania, Nevada Certify Vote Results
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fbdbe0030b7a3dff5949st03duc2
Flournoy May Not Be a Shoo-In for Defense After All
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fbdbe004fa7f3dff5949st03duc3

Earnest Martin

QAC’s stated reason for putting the strainers inboard was, “ we can use a smaller strainer by putting it in the prop wash”.

Earnest Martin
40 Glen Cove Drive
Arden NC 28704-3219
828-230-5378
martinerni@aol.com

On Nov 24, 2020, at 9:58 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@scheevel.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Earnest. I had not heard that.

[...]

Thanks for the info. Inboard it is----------  Chris

Kevin Boddicker

That was going to be my guess, but you beat me to it Earnest!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
God Bless

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 539 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Nov 25, 2020, at 7:19 AM, Earnest Martin via groups.io <MartinErni=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jerry Marstall

Uh huh

That was going to be my guess, but you beat me to it Earnest!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
God Bless

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B    539 hrs
Luana, IA.

> On Nov 25, 2020, at 7:19 AM, Earnest Martin via groups.io <MartinErni@...> wrote:
>
> QAC’s stated reason for putting the strainers inboard was, “ we can use a smaller strainer by putting it in the prop wash”.
>
> Earnest Martin
> 40 Glen Cove Drive
> Arden NC 28704-3219
> 828-230-5378
> martinerni@...
>

>> On Nov 24, 2020, at 9:58 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Bruce. For years I have tried to noodle out the reasoning that QAC recommended the inboard mounting of the sparrow strainers and it may have something to do with the stall of the canard beginning inboard so the incipient stall will partially washout on the sparrow strainer resulting in a sort of stall recovery effect by adding forward stick forces. This is just a guess on my part.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jay

Another question.  As an experiment, I took some normal primer and thinned it out considerabley and then added micro to thicken it up. I then painted a piece of aluminum with two coats. Two days later , I  sanded and it came out well. Kind of like a poor mans fill and sand. I haven't tried to spray it yet, but  I am sure it will also go on nicely with a foam roller. You should be able to build any low areas without concern of over spray. I just did the third thin coat of micro and then on to primer. Any thoughts??

Don't be shy to voice your opinions.    Thanks   Chris

This sounds like featherfill primer. If you look it up its good for small buildup for sanding/finishing etc.