Topics

Spring Fling

Kevin Boddicker

Nice report Jerry. I changed the subject line for the obvious reason.

Spring Fling Will be May 15,16,17. The only weekend even close to open.
10th is Mothers Day.
25th is Memorial Day.
Don’t worry, no-one will have to show up, as it always rains.
However I will be there rain or shine.
Be a chance for you to land 1187 feet above seal level. Mike Dwyer.
Hope all will attend. The group has been fairly quiet. Hope this excites everyone to at least consider flying to KDEH.

See you then if not before!!

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B  500  hrs
Luana, IA.

On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:18 PM, Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

I am slow on the trigger, but today I experienced my first flight of the year.  There are legitimate reasons – so I believe.

June 19, 2019, I had my left knee replaced.  That grounded me for tooooo long.  I did get a chance to fly twice at the end of October before having my right knee replaced on November 4.  That likewise kept me out of the air until today.  Actually, I could have flown a little earlier, but in between the two knee surgeries I somehow came up with a hernia.  That delayed my flying for another 4 weeks.  Not so much that I couldn’t fly during the hernia recovery, the doctor was concerned about the force required to push the tail down and spin the plane around to then push it uphill out of the hangar.  Guess I should not have described that part to him.

Fortunately, Nancy took me for a couple of rides over the last two weeks to familiarize me with the art of flying.  Today was the perfect day.  CAVU and calm.  As in the past, I found that muscle memory carried me through the flying maneuvers, but I really lose familiarity with the cockpit.
I know what I want to look at, but I can’t seem to find it on the instrument panel.  No matter how much broomstick flying I do in the cockpit before a flight after a long layoff, I still have trouble finding the instrument I want to scan.  I know it isn’t old-age because I have always had this problem.  Fortunately, after a few minutes in the air, the instruments seem to relocate themselves to where I remember them being.

Anyway, I had my first flight of 2020 and it quickly reminded me of why we love this little airplane so much.  Worth every minute of construction time required to get one completed (if they ever are REALLY completed) and airborne.  For those still building, DON”T STOP.  Doing so will only cause you great lament in the future.

Wishing you all a great flying season.  Hope we can all get to Spring Fling and Field of Dreams!!
Jerry Marstall
Asheville, NC
Tri-Q200
900 hrs.

Jay Scheevel

Hi Kevin,

Hope I can make it this year. I have never landed that at that LOW an elevation in my Q.