Spring Fling 22

Hello everyone,
For those planning to attend Spring Fling 22 at the Terre Haute Regional Airport KHUF, June 3rd thru the 5th.

WELCOME!

I hope what follows is everything you will need to know.  Be sure to ask if I missed something.

I'll start with the two attachments.
The first showing an overview of the airport.
The YELLOW circle in the lower LT corner is the Holiday Inn Express where you will be staying.  As you can see it is right off I-70 at exit 11.
The GREEN circle in the upper RT is my hangar.
The GREEN and BLUE routes are the directions to the entrance.
You will also see a TAN arrow to the LT of my hangar.  That is the main entrance to the airport.

DETAILS:
1. If drivers want, the BLUE route will take you along the runway, kinda the scenic route....for what it's worth.  A traffic light is at that intersection (the first light past Meijer's)
2. Or use the GREEN route to the next traffic light, IN 42.
3. The hangar is accessed by driving past the airport main entrance to the next drive (Gate 9).  It is a secure area and will require you being let in.  (Thank 911 for that)
4. When leaving the hotel call me at 812-230-2355 and I will meet you at the gate.

The second attachment for those flying in.
1. Welcome to Terre Haute Regional / Hulman Field
2. The green lines show the taxi ways you will most likely be using.
3. The green circle is my hangar
4. The long green line is Charlie taxiway
5. The RT short green line is Alpha 1
6. The LT short green line is Bravo
7. And the yellow line is Delta. (this one messes everyone up, who would think of a taxiway being on the ramp)

Airport Frequencies:
ATIS: 127.5
Approach:  125.45
Tower: 134.725
Ground: 121.6

I've been asked to go over the communications again for anyone not familiar with a Class D radar facility which is the old TRSA.

ARRIVAL:
1. Begin listening to ATIS about 20-30 miles out.
2. You will be asked to contact App on 125.45 about 15 miles out. Ex...."Hulman Approach Experimental Nxxx, 15 NW at 2500 with (ATIS info), Landing Hulman"
3. They will give a squawk code to make radar contact and give instructions, may even ask to ident.  Be sure to read back all instructions (Required)
    3a. For nontansponder equipped aircraft....When calling approach tell them "Negative Transponder", "Negative Radar Service" or something similar...they don't care.  They'll probably ask for a turn for radar ID.
4. When inside Class D, approach will ask you to contact tower on 134.725.  Be sure to read back
5. Contact Tower, EX...."Hulman Tower experimental Nxxx ", they will tell you what rwy etc...  Be sure to read back all instructions
5. Upon landing they will probably instruct you to turn off onto a taxiway and to contact ground on 121.6.  Don't be afraid to ask for 'progressive' if not sure where to turn.   Be sure to read back instructions
6. Tell ground you are taxiing to the East Ramp.  Refer to the GREEN lines on the closeup map above.
     If I'm on my toes I will direct you to parking.

On Saturday Mike Bergen will be giving a presentation on "Which Epoxy for My Project".  I grew up with Safe-T-Poxy and know allot has changed since then and have seen the epoxy discussions on the Q-List.
Many of the names I've heard but know very little about so this should be a good refresher no matter where you are in your project.

So there you have it.  Vicki and I are looking forward to a seeing all of you and having a good weekend together at The Quickie Builders Assoc Spring Fling 22.
Keith

Jay Scheevel

Thanks for the great info, Keith still haven’t decided on Thursday or Friday yet. I will do that after the weekend. So far weather is still looking good.

Cheers,

Jay N8WQ

[...]

Michael Dunning

Random thought: Does the group have any interest in me packing up my disassembled engine for Show'n'Tell??

Probably can't bring enough tools to demo anything useful but I figure some builders might get a kick out of seeing a Revmaster's GUTS laid out...

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael,

Ya know, now that we've all seen a Revmaster's guts via Dugas' photos that might not be a bad idea.
Might give all a chance to do a little forensic analysis.
I have plenty of tools settin around for what ever you might want to tear up.  Heck I'll even bring a junk table to play on.

Just a thought, might see if Dugas will do a face time show n tell.
What do ya think Dave?  Is that sumpin we could pull off?
For those who haven't seen, which would include everyone except Marstall, I am fortunate to have a large hangar....if you want to call it that.

Keith

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

allen relseg

So for the crowd of pilots “driving”  their RV’s to the gathering… is there a place to park near your hanger?
I was going to fly my Piper Cherokee, but annual won’t be done in time.. My motor home is a small 22ft..
Mark from Ohio…. Q200 project..

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Is your motorhome self contained…ie dry camp?
Or do you have a room reserved at the hotel?

My hangar is where the old T’s used to be so lots of concrete. Plenty of area to park it.

Hadn’t had that request so didn’t talk to the airport. Let me get back to you on that one.

Keith

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Ok Great,
I'll be at the airport today and will get back to you.
TTYL, Keith

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Hi Mark,
Yes, you are welcome to park the motorhome at the airport.

Due to a previous incident where a person who was talking a package to a waiting airplane at night, wandered onto the ramp, which is fine, but didn’t know where the restricted traffic area was and the FAA said “Can’t have that”. Our operations manager didn’t see a problem but the FAA did. She was humbled by the experience to say the least.

Soooo……I will be parking you outside the interior fence in an area very close to my hangar and where we will be driving past anyway.

Just call the phone number on a email when you get off the interstate and I’ll meet you at gate 9.
Hope this helps.
Thanx, Keith

Please note: forwarded message attached

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Subject: Spring Fling parking
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

From: "allen relseg via groups.io" <mrelseg@...>
To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 01:52:15 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, self contained, I don&rsquo;t have a hotel room.. my RV is my hotel room&hellip; Mark On Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 04:29:17 PM EDT, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote: Is your motorhome self contained&hellip;ie dry camp?
Or do you have a room reserved at the hotel?

My hangar is where the old T&rsquo;s used to be so lots of concrete. Plenty of area to park it.

Hadn&rsquo;t had that request so didn&rsquo;t talk to the airport. Let me get back to you on that one.

Keith

So for the crowd of pilots &ldquo;driving&rdquo; their RV&rsquo;s to the gathering&hellip; is there a place to park near your hanger?I was going to fly my Piper Cherokee, but annual won&rsquo;t be done in time.. My motor home is a small 22ft..Mark from Ohio&hellip;. Q200 project..

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

allen relseg

Thanks for checking out the airport procedures for parking.. if I put wings on my RV CAN I PARK ON THE RAMP….LOL
YES  I will call when I get there..
Mark

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Got an ETA?
Just between us the pass thru gate to the ramp, which I’m gonna put you right next to, hasn’t closed in 2 days. 🤭

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

allen relseg

Yes ETA… DEPENDING ON WINDS… between 10 & 12 Friday morning
Mark

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Hi all,

I am currently working on a previously flying Q2 and considering flying in on Saturday. What time will activity begin on Saturday?

Thank you,
                    Justin Iida N729KS

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the late reply, just getting in.
Mid morning would be a good time as others will be there and the hangar open.
Do you have the info I sent in an earlier email regarding arrival and location info?
We love to have you fly over.

Thanks, Keith

From: "kw544@..." <kw544@...>
To: mrelseg@...
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:31:49 GMT

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Hello everyone,

Today was a beautiful day here in IN.
A day early than expected there were two arrivals today, Terry Crouch in his Q1 N14TC and Jay Scheevel with his TriQ N8WQ.
And I am happy to announce that the Q1's out number the Q2's thus far with Terry's and my N494K Q1.

Tomorrow looks like a good day for the additional arrivals expected.  Tomorrow, with arrivals coming in we will be very informal with lunch served at the hangar.

See ya tomorrow.
Keith

Hi again,
Here is a photo from earlier today showing the two Q1's and Jay's Tri-Q
Looking forward to tomorrow.
Keith