Stuck CS11 aileron connector tube

Well as to be expected, there is corrosion and now I can't get the control surfaces off. See the picture, got the one on the right in the fuselage loose but not the one that's inside the aileron.

Problem is can't get any penetrating oil nearby. Suggestions?

Thanks Robert

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Love building planes almost as much as flying. Latest completed build is "Loki", a Chinook Plus 2 bush plane.

Jay Scheevel

Try flooding the bolt hole in the aileron with penetrating oil. That will be where most of the problem will reside. May have to let it soak for a bit.

Cheers,
Jay

On May 8, 2022, at 3:28 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Well as to be expected, there is corrosion and now I can't get the control surfaces off. See the picture, got the one on the right in the fuselage loose but not the one that's inside the aileron.

Thanks Robert

462556473.1652045169380.jpeg
--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

Love building planes almost as much as flying. Latest completed build is "Loki", a Chinook Plus 2 bush plane.

allen relseg

A little bit of heat on the alum, expands easily… might loosen the hold..

On Sunday, May 8, 2022, 05:50:58 PM EDT, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Try flooding the bolt hole in the aileron with penetrating oil. That will be where most of the problem will reside. May have to let it soak for a bit.

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Robert

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

Jay Scheevel

I would caution against heat that would damage the foam ~200F

On May 8, 2022, at 4:44 PM, allen relseg via groups.io <mrelseg@...> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Robert

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

Mike Steinsland

What I used on mine was an autobody slide hammer. 
Attach it to the inboard end .
MAKE SURE THERE IS SOMETHING BETWEEN THE AILERON AND FUSELAGE or you will pull the aileron inboard with every slide and possibly damage something.
I used a lot of light slides. It will come out with patience.

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 8:21 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

On May 8, 2022, at 4:44 PM, allen relseg via groups.io <mrelseg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Robert

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

--

Mike Steinsland

Mike Steinsland

Just thinking, you don't have to use an autobody slide hammer,with a little thought  you could make your own slide hammer with some tubing.

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 8:56 PM Mike Steinsland <mikeskustoms@...> wrote:
MAKE SURE THERE IS SOMETHING BETWEEN THE AILERON AND FUSELAGE or you will pull the aileron inboard with every slide and possibly damage something.

On May 8, 2022, at 4:44 PM, allen relseg via groups.io <mrelseg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Robert

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

--

Mike Steinsland

--

Mike Steinsland

Mike Steinsland

One more thought. Before using a slide hammer have you tried bracing the aileron in place and very gently rotating the torque tube back clockwise and counter clockwise.
Like loosening a stubborn bolt a little bit at a time and with patience the movement will increase a little bit at a time until it is spinning.....
just a thought, you still might not be able to pull it out but if you can get it rotating and pull on it as you rotate it, that might work.

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 8:59 PM Mike Steinsland <mikeskustoms@...> wrote:
Just thinking, you don't have to use an autobody slide hammer,with a little thought  you could make your own slide hammer with some tubing.

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 8:56 PM Mike Steinsland <mikeskustoms@...> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Robert

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

--

Mike Steinsland

--

Mike Steinsland

--

Mike Steinsland

Jim Patillo

If I remember, there is a phenolic

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 8, 2022 5:56:56 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io Group Moderators <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Stuck CS11 aileron connector tube

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Robert

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

--

Mike Steinsland

Thanks for all your ideas, we tried every single one of them ... first penetrating oil, then heat, then the sledgehammer, without any success. Lastly, we went from constructive to destructive and used the saw saw and cut the tube next to the aileron. The corrosion inside the tube was really really bad it turned out. Next we have to drill out the remainder of the 5/8 tube from inside the aileron and then we are good for a new piece of tubing.

Glad I was able to save the aileron connection piece on the inboard end. Also, luckily the elevator tubes are sliding freely.

Now I just need to figure out how to pull the tube out for the elevators to drop those ;-)

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

Jim Patillo

Hi Robert. How long was the plane sitting out in the weather? It’s only a couple mikes to the Ocean isn’t it. 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Schmid <robert@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 8, 2022 9:46:14 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Stuck CS11 aileron connector tube

Thanks for all your ideas, we tried every single one of them ... first penetrating oil, then heat, then the sledgehammer, without any success. Lastly, we went from constructive to destructive and used the saw saw and cut the tube next to the aileron. The corrosion inside the tube was really really bad it turned out. Next we have to drill out the remainder of the 5/8 tube from inside the aileron and then we are good for a new piece of tubing.

Glad I was able to save the aileron connection piece on the inboard end. Also, luckily the elevator tubes are sliding freely.

Now I just need to figure out how to pull the tube out for the elevators to drop those ;-)

--
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com