Stupid Geometry Problem ... Bias Cutting

I need a piece of 35x24in BID from my 36in wide BID roll. Usually I cut at a 45 degree bias, but I can't figure out how to do a bias cut for such a large piece.

Suggestions? Ideas beside buying a wider roll?

Sorry, totally stumped with this :-)
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Kevin R. Walsh

The standard approach is to cut the longest rectangle you can, always following the 45 degree lines in the BID. If you need a bigger piece, then use the overlap schedule specified, which is usually 1" overlap, minimum.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 1:07 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
I need a piece of 35x24in BID from my 36in wide BID roll. Usually I cut at a 45 degree bias, but I can't figure out how to do a bias cut for such a large piece.

Suggestions? Ideas beside buying a wider roll?

Sorry, totally stumped with this :-)
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Kevin

Chris Walterson

Robert----------  I don't quite understand your dilema.

Lay the roll on the table measure 36 inches down the roll lengthways.  Draw a line from the 36 inch mark to the top start of the roll. 45 degree angle.

. From this line measure 24 inches at 90 degrees to the line in a few places. Draw another line and cut.  This will give  a piece 24 inches wife and probably 50 inches long.  When cut on a bias the bidirectional can be stretched to lengthen or widen to suit.

I hope this answers your question.  Have fun-------------  Chris

Took a second measurement and decided I get by with a 32x21 strip which fit perfectly.

Thanks for your responses, off to doing some fiberglass layups 😉