Tank Repair Underway

Thought I share with you how the tank looks on the inside, looking from the cut open bottom in ...

And here is the repair plan ...
  • Make all fittings for new fuel design (new fill/return in center, new 3/8 pickup)
  • Coat inside of existing tank with 3 layers of epoxy
  • Make a 3 BID layup / copy of another Q2 fuselage (one of you awesome builders called me and came thru, soooo amazing this community)
  • Fit and epoxy the new layup onto existing tank
  • Leak/pressure test
  • Fill in with foam and micro
  • Close off with 3 more layers of BID
  • Lots of cosmetic work
So here we go, that's where I am, this for sure put me a couple weeks behind and then again maybe not given I wanted to make fitting changes anyhow. Glass half full, right ;-)

More fun to come, hopefully with a new bottom layup later this week,

Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Robert,

Sounds like a good plan. Very important that you create some “tooth” for your coats of epoxy to bond to. This can be done with scotch brite pads. Make sure you prep all surfaces to a dull luster. You don’t need to get down into the glass, just take off the gloss in places that you will paint with epoxy. Then clean with alcohol or other solvent that is safe for foam before you paint on epoxy. I say this because you don’t want that epoxy pealing off in flakes in your tank.

On Jul 26, 2022, at 6:12 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Thought I share with you how the tank looks on the inside, looking from the cut open bottom in ...

PXL_20220726_213420801.jpg

[...]

Good advice, create some "teeth"

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Sanjay

When making and shaping the foam layer, you can use divinicel foam of matching thickness (1/4" or 3/8"). Cut it into 2" wide strips (or wider/narrower, depending on curvature) to reproduce any doubly-curved shape, and micro together, then sand smooth at the strip joints. This can even be done directly over your open cut fuselage belly area, after taping the exposed edges, spanning over the exposed bulkheads. (The bulkheads and edges can serve as the mold.) Then glass both sides, inner side first.
Sanjay

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022, 12:52 AM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
Good advice, create some "teeth"

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

dflybldr

on my Dragonfly I think I did 5 or six epoxy coats using a squeegee to force it in. Also, wipe down with alcohol to remove any blush or sanding dust.

I only used enough pressure to inflate a good quality toy balloon. Lastly I circulated and sloshed fuel thru a large pleated fuel filter and cut open and inspected.

I truly believe we lost a Dragonfly and pilot due to sanding dust and flakes in the filter.

Filters are a cheap way to monitor the health of your tank. Mine is perfect after 20 years of fuel soak,

Keep up the good work.

N39XD

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 12:52 AM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
Good advice, create some "teeth"