"unstick test"

kittleson1@...

Mr. Postma,

It sounds like you advocate the use of this "unstick test" in the flying
of the single seat Quickie, at least I think that is the plane you are
using....It may work fine.

Based upon flying the Q200, I don't really advocate trying to do this in
the Q200, especially on the first flight.

I can see some merit to it if a person is experimenting with the airfoils
and really has some serious questions about the stability of the plane
based upon the change the has occured, but if you're going to do it in
the Q200, you had better be really familiar with the airplane.

Pulling the power off after breaking ground in the Q200, and attempting
to land immediately is one of the scariest things I've seen in the past
23 years of flying. It can be a wild event, even in a plane that
normally flies well.

It may be cool in the Quickie, perhaps more stick authority and docile
characteristics, but not in my Q200.

The idea of getting airborne and putting it back on the ground again is
an old one...especially in new designs or making wild changes, where
there is some "reasonable doubt"

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:19:12 -0700 "James Postma" <james@...>
writes:
Thanks Jon,

This is precisely what I was saying. I covered the "unstick test"
in a
previous email. I recommend going to lift off speed at low power
settings
and once the canard lifts off, pull the throttle and let it settle
back.
The point is to note the lift off speed, not to make it fly.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

The Q-200 seems to stall at lift off when the power is pulled. I actually
think the plane lifts off below stall speed cause the prop is blowing all
that air. Pull the power and your going down NOW! I usually lift off,
accelerate to 120mph then climb. If your gonna try an unstick test you
better be real good!
Mike Dwyer, Q-200

writes:
Thanks Jon,

This is precisely what I was saying. I covered the "unstick test"
in a
previous email. I recommend going to lift off speed at low power
settings
and once the canard lifts off, pull the throttle and let it settle
back.
The point is to note the lift off speed, not to make it fly.

DClark <dclark3@...>

I fly the Quickie (single place) with the LS-1 canard. One of a few that
have this canard.

The original factory advice for lift off was use full aft stick with the GU
canard.

I purchased the spars and plans, then QAC went belly up.

When I did my taxi test I was looking for this squirrelly behavior we all
are supposed to have. Didn't happen.
I used the limited RPM approach to do the tests.
After feeling the plane get light on all wheels, I increased the revs by
200.
Using full aft stick like QAC had suggested, I trundled down the runway.
I felt things get light----- the next thing I saw was blue sky and nothing
else!
The aircraft was hanging on the prop at 20 feet with a nose up angle of
better
than 30 degrees. ( I have a picture) Knowing better than giving most of
the feeble lift I had by cutting the throttle, I shoved it to the max and
slowly
eased the stick forward. By the time I had real flying speed the end of the
5000 ft runway slid beneath my canard.

I "suppose" the GU canard has a progressive airflow attachment, in other
words it just levitates as the factory literature claims.

The LS-1 airflow attaches rapidly, one minute you have no lift then next you
have it all.

I received some guff about using full aft stick but I had not read or heard
about
any other procedure. I assumed it would be a gentle procedure. Mid stick
make for a better lift off in my opinion.

Oh yeah. The canard saved my bacon that day, a conventional aircraft would
have stalled and put me face first into the pavement.

But then again I wouldn't have used the silly full aft stick procedure in a
conventional
bird.

Be careful on your unstick test.

Dennis

writes:
Thanks Jon,

This is precisely what I was saying. I covered the "unstick test"
in a
previous email. I recommend going to lift off speed at low power
settings
and once the canard lifts off, pull the throttle and let it settle
back.
The point is to note the lift off speed, not to make it fly.

James Postma <james@...>

Dear Kittleson,

I have a Q2 Revmaster. I was doing taxi tests at low power when the canard
lifted at 63 mph. I held the stick position and reduced all power and it
settled back with no bad effects other than the usual ground instabililty.
My purpose at that time was to gain experience with ground handling at or
near landing speeds. The taxi tests were very useful to me before my first
flight.

Again, the sole purpose of the unstick test is to determine the
effectivness of the GU canard lift due to water and other substances
(Rain-X, etc.) No way I recommend a complete lift off and if you do not
feel comfortable with this proceedure, please do not attempt it.

I assume you have the LS-1 canard on your Q200. Can anyone on the list make
a comparison of take off and landing characteristics between the GU and the
LS-1 canard?

James Postma
james@...
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT (GMT-8) voice