Topics

Update: Faucet Fuel Pump Ticking Sound w/ Plenty of Fuel

Corbin

I couldn't find my previous thread on this so thought  I would start a new one.  My transfer pump (Faucet), when running with  plenty of fuel in the main tank, now clicks/ticks just like when the fuel is low (air).  To be sure it wasn't the fuel pump starting to fail, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one since that is a cheap and easy process.  However, the new one also clicks/ticks.  It seems to be pumping plenty of fuel as it will quickly start to return from the header, as normal.  

So, it seems the next thing to check for is air in the lines somewhere......but how/where  do I start on that?

--

Corbin 
N33QR

adrianbloomfield@ymail.com

Hi Corbin
I have 3 Faucet pumps on my Tr Q. They also click and tick. I’ve never thought anything of it. Even when I installed my 3rd, it made the same noise.
Hope this helps
Ady    G-FARY.   UK

On 29 Apr 2020, at 14:29, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

I couldn't find my previous thread on this so thought  I would start a new one.  My transfer pump (Faucet), when running with  plenty of fuel in the main tank, now clicks/ticks just like when the fuel is low (air).  To be sure it wasn't the fuel pump starting to fail, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one since that is a cheap and easy process.  However, the new one also clicks/ticks.  It seems to be pumping plenty of fuel as it will quickly start to return from the header, as normal.  

So, it seems the next thing to check for is air in the lines somewhere......but how/where  do I start on that?

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Corbin

Interesting and good to know.  I wonder why mine has been so quiet for so long; until now.

Corbin

On Apr 29, 2020, at 9:25 AM, adrianbloomfield@... <quickietriqadrian@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin
I have 3 Faucet pumps on my Tr Q. They also click and tick. I’ve never thought anything of it. Even when I installed my 3rd, it made the same noise.
Hope this helps
Ady    G-FARY.   UK

--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Hi
Have you ever put any car gas in the tank, as apposed to Avgas. I’ve read that this can rot the seals in the pumps. I’ll try and find the article for you.
Ady

On 29 Apr 2020, at 15:29, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Interesting and good to know.  I wonder why mine has been so quiet for so long; until now.

Corbin

On Apr 29, 2020, at 9:25 AM, adrianbloomfield@... <quickietriqadrian@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin
Hope this helps
Ady    G-FARY.   UK

--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Jay Scheevel

Hi Corbin,

Is your line from the pump to the main tank a flexible or a hard (aluminum) line? If it is flexible, I would suggest fashioning a replacement for that line out of clear vinyl tubing, then turn on the pump and look for bubbles. If no bubbles, go back to your previous line and don’t think about it any more.  If it is a hard line, you may need to buy some barbed fittings for both tubing ends that will match the flared fitting size, but you can do the same exercise with the clear vinyl tubing.

Just FYI, I have two identical Facet pumps that were installed at the same time 90 operational hours ago and were new out of the box. One of them pumps the output from the fuel selector directly to the throttle body regulator and is very quiet. The other pumps from the main to the header and is very noisy, so go figure. As long as your pump is new, is not pumping air (check with temporary vinyl line), and is moving fuel at the rate you need, you should be good to go. In other words, I do not think noise is a firm diagnostic.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:29 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Update: Faucet Fuel Pump Ticking Sound w/ Plenty of Fuel

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Sam Hoskins

First off, IMHO, never ever use vinyl tubing. When exposed to fuel it shrinks and hardens. This can lead to air leaks at the fittings. QAC said to use the vinyl tubing, but that was over 40 years ago. 

I have found that even a very small amount of air in the lines, bubbles so small that they are difficult to see, cam make your pump rattle.

I have recently had good luck with the blue tinted urethane tubing available from Aircraft Spruce.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 9:37 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin,

Is your line from the pump to the main tank a flexible or a hard (aluminum) line? If it is flexible, I would suggest fashioning a replacement for that line out of clear vinyl tubing, then turn on the pump and look for bubbles. If no bubbles, go back to your previous line and don’t think about it any more.  If it is a hard line, you may need to buy some barbed fittings for both tubing ends that will match the flared fitting size, but you can do the same exercise with the clear vinyl tubing.

Just FYI, I have two identical Facet pumps that were installed at the same time 90 operational hours ago and were new out of the box. One of them pumps the output from the fuel selector directly to the throttle body regulator and is very quiet. The other pumps from the main to the header and is very noisy, so go figure. As long as your pump is new, is not pumping air (check with temporary vinyl line), and is moving fuel at the rate you need, you should be good to go. In other words, I do not think noise is a firm diagnostic.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Adam hied

Hey Corbin I have one in my dragonfly. It ticks and clicks too, but transfers just fine. They all do it. I just look at it as reassurance that it’s running.

On Apr 29, 2020, at 9:28 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Larry

If it ain’t clinking it ain’t working

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Adam hied <hiedadam@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:20:56 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Update: Faucet Fuel Pump Ticking Sound w/ Plenty of Fuel

Hey Corbin I have one in my dragonfly. It ticks and clicks too, but transfers just fine. They all do it. I just look at it as reassurance that it’s running.

On Apr 29, 2020, at 9:28 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Corbin

Thanks Ady....no, just 100LL.

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Corbin

Thanks Jay.  I have the clear vinyl tubing and will look very closely to see if I notice any air bubbles.  I should be able to go back out there within 2-3 days.
--

Corbin 
N33QR

Corbin

Now I am  wondering if  I am  only  thinking of my return fuel line  as the one that  is clear  vinyl.  
--

Corbin 
N33QR

Jay Scheevel

Sorry Sam, meant to say urethane. That is what I am using in my sump drain hoses and overflow return from header, but in either case, I was just recommending Corbin only use the clear tubing temporarily to check for bubbles, then go back to his previous hose. I stated that clearly. The bubbles are easy to see in clear tubing.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sam Hoskins
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:15 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io

First off, IMHO, never ever use vinyl tubing. When exposed to fuel it shrinks and hardens. This can lead to air leaks at the fittings. QAC said to use the vinyl tubing, but that was over 40 years ago. 

I have found that even a very small amount of air in the lines, bubbles so small that they are difficult to see, cam make your pump rattle.

I have recently had good luck with the blue tinted urethane tubing available from Aircraft Spruce.

Hi Corbin,

Is your line from the pump to the main tank a flexible or a hard (aluminum) line? If it is flexible, I would suggest fashioning a replacement for that line out of clear vinyl tubing, then turn on the pump and look for bubbles. If no bubbles, go back to your previous line and don’t think about it any more.  If it is a hard line, you may need to buy some barbed fittings for both tubing ends that will match the flared fitting size, but you can do the same exercise with the clear vinyl tubing.

Cheers,

Jay

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Jim Patillo

Corbin as you may know the Facet pump does make a ticking noise when pumping. Since you are concerned with the new one, hook up a line to the output side of the pump and flow it to a can. If you are flowing 1.5 -2 times the required fuel burn you should be good to go.

You may also want to stand the pump off the canard with rubber. That limits the noise transfer to the canard.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:43:18 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Dan Thomas

The facet pump in my RV-6 has always rattled when I first turn it on and then becomes quieter in a few seconds. I believe it has something to do with air in the lines at first and also that there is no pressure in the line at first. Upon filling the lines and building up a little bit of pressure on the downstream side of the pump then it operates more quietly.  As it works in a Q airplane there is never really any back pressure so it makes sense that it would operate a little more noisy.  My RV now has about 1300 hours and is still using the  original facet pump which I use only on takeoff or when I see low pressure from the mechanical pump.   Since the facet pump is relatively affordable and small I carry a new one at all times. One last comment is the first 400 hours I used almost all auto fuel,  since then I have only used 100LL.

—Dan T.

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 9:01 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Sorry Sam, meant to say urethane. That is what I am using in my sump drain hoses and overflow return from header, but in either case, I was just recommending Corbin only use the clear tubing temporarily to check for bubbles, then go back to his previous hose. I stated that clearly. The bubbles are easy to see in clear tubing.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sam Hoskins
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:15 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io

Hi Corbin,

Cheers,

Jay

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Here you go Corbin. 
I was slightly mistaken with what I read. But knew it had something to do with the seals.
The script is from our LAA.
Refer to number one for your reference. 

On 29 Apr 2020, at 16:43, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Corbin

Well, I think I am just baffled because the Faucet pump (same model) I had before did not tick like this unless fuel was low.  Then it started ticking all of a sudden and the replacement one does  too.  I am actually not too concerned about fuel flow as it is clearly pumping faster than fuel going from header to the engine.

Corbin Ge!ser

On April 29, 2020 at 11:57 AM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Corbin as you may know the Facet pump does make a ticking noise when pumping. Since you are concerned with the new one, hook up a line to the output side of the pump and flow it to a can. If you are flowing 1.5 -2 times the required fuel burn you should be good to go.

You may also want to stand the pump off the canard with rubber. That limits the noise transfer to the canard.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...>

--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Corbin

Thanks for the article....good info to know!
--

Corbin 
N33QR

Your very welcome. Hope you get your concerns sorted out. 

On 29 Apr 2020, at 19:40, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Jay Scheevel

It may be that there is a little bubble trapped in the pump after the replacement that cannot get out. Try tilting the plane in each axis while the pump is running and see if it fixes it. Alternatively, fly it up really high and run the pump, since the bubble will expand up there and may purge. You can stop by and visit my while you are up there 😊

Cheers,
Jay

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:33 AM

Well, I think I am just baffled because the Faucet pump (same model) I had before did not tick like this unless fuel was low.  Then it started ticking all of a sudden and the replacement one does  too.  I am actually not too concerned about fuel flow as it is clearly pumping faster than fuel going from header to the engine.

Corbin Ge!ser

On April 29, 2020 at 11:57 AM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Jim

N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

--

Corbin 
N33QR

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Richard Thomson

Adrian,

I assume that the other information in the LAA letter was for Longeze or Varieze ?

Richard.

On 29/04/2020 19:49, adrianbloomfield@... wrote:
Your very welcome. Hope you get your concerns sorted out. 

On 29 Apr 2020, at 19:40, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

--

Corbin 
N33QR