Topics

Update: Faucet Fuel Pump Ticking Sound w/ Plenty of Fuel

Corbin

I couldn't find my previous thread on this so thought  I would start a new one.  My transfer pump (Faucet), when running with  plenty of fuel in the main tank, now clicks/ticks just like when the fuel is low (air).  To be sure it wasn't the fuel pump starting to fail, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one since that is a cheap and easy process.  However, the new one also clicks/ticks.  It seems to be pumping plenty of fuel as it will quickly start to return from the header, as normal.

So, it seems the next thing to check for is air in the lines somewhere......but how/where  do I start on that?

--

Corbin
N33QR

adrianbloomfield@ymail.com

Hi Corbin
I have 3 Faucet pumps on my Tr Q. They also click and tick. I’ve never thought anything of it. Even when I installed my 3rd, it made the same noise.
Hope this helps
Ady    G-FARY.   UK

On 29 Apr 2020, at 14:29, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

I couldn't find my previous thread on this so thought  I would start a new one.  My transfer pump (Faucet), when running with  plenty of fuel in the main tank, now clicks/ticks just like when the fuel is low (air).  To be sure it wasn't the fuel pump starting to fail, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one since that is a cheap and easy process.  However, the new one also clicks/ticks.  It seems to be pumping plenty of fuel as it will quickly start to return from the header, as normal.

So, it seems the next thing to check for is air in the lines somewhere......but how/where  do I start on that?

--

Corbin
N33QR

Corbin

Interesting and good to know.  I wonder why mine has been so quiet for so long; until now.

Corbin

On Apr 29, 2020, at 9:25 AM, adrianbloomfield@... <quickietriqadrian@...> wrote:

[...]

Have you ever put any car gas in the tank, as apposed to Avgas. I’ve read that this can rot the seals in the pumps. I’ll try and find the article for you.
Ady

On 29 Apr 2020, at 15:29, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay Scheevel

Hi Corbin,

Is your line from the pump to the main tank a flexible or a hard (aluminum) line? If it is flexible, I would suggest fashioning a replacement for that line out of clear vinyl tubing, then turn on the pump and look for bubbles. If no bubbles, go back to your previous line and don’t think about it any more.  If it is a hard line, you may need to buy some barbed fittings for both tubing ends that will match the flared fitting size, but you can do the same exercise with the clear vinyl tubing.

Just FYI, I have two identical Facet pumps that were installed at the same time 90 operational hours ago and were new out of the box. One of them pumps the output from the fuel selector directly to the throttle body regulator and is very quiet. The other pumps from the main to the header and is very noisy, so go figure. As long as your pump is new, is not pumping air (check with temporary vinyl line), and is moving fuel at the rate you need, you should be good to go. In other words, I do not think noise is a firm diagnostic.