From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2021 9:33 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Vance Bash!

‘Xtra special!

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

Bruce Crain

Thanks for coming Vern! It was a great bunch to hang out with and trade ideas!
Bruce and Honey Lamb
On Sep 17, 2021, at 10:51 PM, smeshno1@hotmail.com wrote:

Looks like y'all had a great time. Very good to chat with everyone, hope all safe travels. Looks like a front will be moving through Tuesday night. Al..send some photos of your project when you can. It's always good when that connection is made to your dream
Vern

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

smeshno1@...

 I'll be sure to take my hat and coffee cup to the Lazy B up in Everett. Keep in mind the reason for all them overtime hours is to complete all here other than the aircraft..and then they also. Thank you two for hosting the FOD.
 Frankenbird will come to fruition.

 Here's the nose art I will airbrush in on the cowling..you have to visualize a pair of white wings on Ol Frankies back.. I already have this transfer to work from in my build kit.

Thanks for coming Vern!  It was a great bunch to hang out with and trade ideas!
Bruce and Honey Lamb
> On Sep 17, 2021, at 10:51 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:
>
> Looks like y'all had a great time. Very good to chat with everyone, hope all safe travels. Looks like a front will be moving through Tuesday night. Al..send some photos of your project when you can. It's always good when that connection is made to your dream
> Vern

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

JMasal@...

Thanks all y'all For photos and safe arrival home reports.It was another SAFE event (that me and my second-in -command
missed to avert any risk to ol Covid 19,17,64r and etc. Glad to speak to you reprobates by video thanks to HoneyLamb.
Return WX westbound seemed uneasy... wonder about the groundspeed on that Tri-Pacer??? Mebbe they'll be home
next week??

The King Quicker

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

One Sky Dog

Jimmy,

We ran into the dry line 150 miles before Roswell mild turbulence and sinking air kept us below 7k. We ran up against SIGMET at Demming, NM.

We stopped for the night, weather looks good this morning. Should be a easy cruise along I-10 to home.

Stay well!

Charlie “One Sky Dog”

On Sunday, September 19, 2021, 6:53 PM, JMasal via groups.io <JMasal@...> wrote:

Thanks all y'all For photos and safe arrival home reports.It was another SAFE event (that me and my second-in -command
missed to avert any risk to ol Covid 19,17,64r and etc. Glad to speak to you reprobates by video thanks to HoneyLamb.
Return WX westbound seemed uneasy... wonder about the groundspeed on that Tri-Pacer??? Mebbe they'll be home
next week??

The King Quicker

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

Jay Scheevel

Good to see you again, Jimmy. Even if on the Dick Tracy watch/phone!  Will catch you in person next time, hopefully.

Thanks all y'all For photos and safe arrival home reports.It was another SAFE event (that me and my second-in -command

missed to avert any risk to ol Covid 19,17,64r and etc. Glad to speak to you reprobates by video thanks to HoneyLamb.

Return WX westbound seemed uneasy... wonder about the groundspeed on that Tri-Pacer??? Mebbe they'll be home

next week??

The King Quicker

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

One Sky Dog

Landed safely in Benson!

Spent the night in Demming, NM because of pop up SIGMET cu-nimbus lightning turbulence the usual dry line stuff. That was after bumping along for hours through Texas and New Mexico.

Dave was amazed by the airplanes and the group and I second the FOD brings amazing things and people together.

I will winter over exploring the Tri-Pacer limits and mine exploring slow flight and learning dirt flying.

The final sorting of the squawk list and test flying the Dragonvair is planned.

Thanks everyone!

Charlie One Sky Dog

On Monday, September 20, 2021, 3:26 AM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

[...]

Glad you got home safely, Charlie. Good to see you again, as always. Tell Robert we missed him.

[...]

 Charlie..I know your not changing your Tri Pacer engine but overheard some conversation at FOD on the Lycoming O-320 updates that triggered a memory and I said I would look into.

 The info I remembered about the Titan 340 is in the March and June issues of Kitplanes magazine.  There are differences in the 340 of course..and those clearly described in the article series by Marc Cook who owns a GlaStar.

Also, ironically

 The title on the March issue about overhauling a O-360..related to this is "get friendly with the UPS driver (or Vern) that knows his way to Tulsa"  This same shop is where I am taking both my Corvair Standard Nitrided Cranks to mag check. I figure they might know something about steel crankshaft inspections.

 So my path for engine and my particular history for the projects.  I will have two reliable 2850cc aircraft engines with probably less than $7000 TOTAL cost in each powerplant ($14,000 estimated for two engines). That includes the $1000 5th bearing mod.

 I will tap threads with my tooling for the safety shaft provided mag check in Tulsa verifys good to go (not difficult to do). One crankshaft is from a 140 hp.. the other is a 180 hp that I know personally the history of.

 The 140 crank is unknown except the car was driven about 60,000 when it dropped an intake valve seat and the car then sat unloved in a Washington State back yard under blue tarps for about 20 years. I found it on Craigslist Seattle in 2007. The car was an all yellow 1965 Monza 2dr 4 speed and had an all black interior. I installed a good running $250 110hp smog engine and sold the car. The 140 would run but of course very weak and backfiring in the carbs. I paid $1200 for the car and as I say..sold it and then the 140hp parts later for quite a bit more than that. I think total profit was around $1200 or so.  It took me 3 days to swap the engine..about 6 hours a day work (remove and replace). I cleaned the car and fuel tank and all brake hydraulics were replaced. About 2 weeks time.

 I kept all the aviation related items required, but bought one good 110hp case. I also have good 95hp 1964 heads for one and 110hp 1965 heads for the other engine.  Keep in mind I also owned and drove a 1965 Yenko Stinger, and my daily driver then was a 1965 Monza (110hp Automatic) that I had since I was 17 years old. I learned to drive in Seattle when I was 14 years old in a 1963 "three on the tree" Corvair "95" Van we had in my Dad's janitorial business.

 The 180hp was originally from my uncles car. He was a Navy Pilot in WW2 and owned a Taylorcraft that I did a recover with him when I was in 5th and 6th grade (1965, 1966). I bought the engine from my Aunt for $100 when Dale passed away from COPD in the early 1990's. The engine had sat pickled under tarps in the corner of the shop since 1966. The Corsa car he owned was totalled by a garage fire. He pulled and saved the engine thinking he might build for it sometime. The car had less than 10,000 miles when totalled out!  I sold the rare Turbo case, heads, and related other items to other Corsa club memebers for quite a bit more than $100. They were MORE than happy to be able to correctly restore the rare car they had, and I was pleased to be able to assist too.

 I write these facts to inform others that IF the Corvair is one option they might consider, with a littel hunting it is still fairly easy to buy items that will in fact return a profit for your core engine. It's NOT rare to make these kinds of deals, especially since we do not need a running engine or car.  Pretty easy to get a "challenge" car like the 140 I bought and end up with money in your pocket to pay for some of the conversion parts.

 Not everyone is a gearhead or even interested in doing this (building the engine) but even with a limited background these particilar powerplants are remarkably easy to work on and the parts are not at all a challenge to find, plus there is a ton of reliable support available totally for free.

 Charlie can relate his engine find. In his case the lady of the house had a serious problem with $20,000 for a greasy ol "airplane engine" that might have taken more than that to repair. For sure it would have cost a serious pile of change to overhaul later.

        Vern

[...]

 Good deal, Charlie. Gotta get some nose art for DragonVair.  The Zenith guys at Arlington had International "No Naders" on the cowling.

Frankenbird Vern

[...]

I am hoping for a flight of two next year but we will see what happens. Nice seeing everyone!