Wheel Spacer Modification Idea

So after my own and reading about others hassle with wheel removal and install, I came up with this idea ...

The basic idea is to instead of fiddling with the spacers inside the pants, widen the hole, slide in the axle first and then the spacers go on from the outside, held in pace similarly with a long bolt.

Comments? Thoughts? On the design please, not my drawing skills ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

Not a bad idea at all.  As much as I hate dealing with my current spacers, it gets easier after a few times and I’d prefer to keep the outside of the wheel pants looking cleaner and with less drag than with that extra material out there as shown in the drawing.  But I still like the way you think.

Corbin

On Jun 18, 2022, at 1:14 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

So after my own and reading about others hassle with wheel removal and install, I came up with this idea ...

Wheel Design Idea.png

The basic idea is to instead of fiddling with the spacers inside the pants, widen the hole, slide in the axle first and then the spacers go on from the outside, held in pace similarly with a long bolt.

Comments? Thoughts? On the design please, not my drawing skills ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Corbin
N121CG

Mike Dwyer

Your new spacer looks like it would take very expensive machining to make.

For instance, removing a tire from my plans built Q200 could be done in about 15 minutes.  I built a board with foam that spread out the load under the canard, jacked up the board with a hydraulic jack.  I pulled the axle bolt from the center.  As stated in the plans, I had built an aluminum "short axle" that I jammed in the axle hole which pushed out the steel axle from the wheel pant.  Then the tire assy fell out the bottom.  Install was the reverse.  Altho for install I loosened the two brake caliper bolts to allow the rotor to more easily find the gap.  I probably pulled the tires out 100+ times over 34 years.  Note that I had to switch to a steel axle as the plans recommended AL one was getting bent.  I coated it in grease and never had any rust issues.

I hate to say it, but your solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
So after my own and reading about others hassle with wheel removal and install, I came up with this idea ...

The basic idea is to instead of fiddling with the spacers inside the pants, widen the hole, slide in the axle first and then the spacers go on from the outside, held in pace similarly with a long bolt.

Comments? Thoughts? On the design please, not my drawing skills ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

britmcman99

This looks interesting to me. It may also compliment a method of wheel alignment modifications where folks may want to pull the true position of axle holes in the process of making this modification. Camber and caster adjustments could be made by offsetting the new larger hole over the original small holes. Just thinking out loud.

Phil Lankford

On Jun 18, 2022, at 11:23 AM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

It would basically look like an extra large washer between the bolt and the pants, so not so bad ;-)
photo
Robert Schmid

+1 (408) 805-5450 | robert@...

theschmids.org

"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Anthony P

Nice.

I can model this quickly and have it quoted for quick-turn in quantity 10,20,100 etc.
If you are willing to have the parts made in China, I bet you can get a full plane set for less than $200.

Make the axle bores in the new adapters eccentric and you get wheel alignment for free!

--
Q2 N86KL

Terry Crouch

Looks like a bad idea to me. If you side load the tire the load is now pushing on only one side of the wheel pant. You have also removed the clamping effect on the wheel pant sides. IF you only make perfect landings you will be fine. That leaves me out.

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC

So after my own and reading about others hassle with wheel removal and install, I came up with this idea ...

The basic idea is to instead of fiddling with the spacers inside the pants, widen the hole, slide in the axle first and then the spacers go on from the outside, held in pace similarly with a long bolt.

Comments? Thoughts? On the design please, not my drawing skills ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Troy Zawlacki

I agree with Terry. The original spacers put both wheel pant sides in compression when the axle is tightened. In this instance, when one side of the pant deflects, the wheel and spacers would just be shoved out the other side. There is nothing holding the separation between the sides.

Taz

On Jun 18, 2022, at 8:16 PM, Terry Crouch via groups.io <Q1terryMDT@...> wrote:

Looks like a bad idea to me. If you side load the tire the load is now pushing on only one side of the wheel pant. You have also removed the clamping effect on the wheel pant sides. IF you only make perfect landings you will be fine. That leaves me out.

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC

So after my own and reading about others hassle with wheel removal and install, I came up with this idea ...

<Wheel Design Idea.png>

The basic idea is to instead of fiddling with the spacers inside the pants, widen the hole, slide in the axle first and then the spacers go on from the outside, held in pace similarly with a long bolt.

Comments? Thoughts? On the design please, not my drawing skills ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

<Wheel Design Idea.png>

Jim Patillo

I agree with Mike and Corbin, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Changing both tires and tubes on a Q, takes about 30 minutes once you get the procedures down.  I know this to be a fact because I just did it again.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

PS. I really like the 2 AV30’s I installed but the DG drifts. I’m gonna install their external Manometer if they can’t fix it by firmware/software.

So after my own and reading about others hassle with wheel removal and install, I came up with this idea ...

<Wheel Design Idea.png>

The basic idea is to instead of fiddling with the spacers inside the pants, widen the hole, slide in the axle first and then the spacers go on from the outside, held in pace similarly with a long bolt.

Comments? Thoughts? On the design please, not my drawing skills ;-)

Thanks Robert
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

<Wheel Design Idea.png>

Jim Patillo

I had the same problems with the aluminum tube in the wheels bending. I cut 2 new aluminum tubes and installed stainless axles that fits the tube exactly, no more bending and they don’t rust. I just turned down the S/S rod and threaded the end. Works well.

Jim
N46JP - Q200